Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I\'m in need of some tire chains for my tractor

Anyone know of somewhere I can walk in & buy a set in NEMO or SE Iowa? Tire size is 16.9-30. I don't care if they're new or used, so long as they fit. Too long would be ok, cause I can cut them down & add the cross links somewhere else in the chains.

I've got quite a bit of work to do in my timber this winter & once the ground freezes solid, without front wheel assist, my tractor is helpless on ice & frozen mud.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,238 Posts
I have a set of tractor chains somewhere. I don't know what size they are,,but we ran em on a 560 INT. I'll try and remember to ask the farmin partener if we think we will use em again. If they will fit without cutting them down,,I can sure loan em to you.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Preciate that Todd. I would never cut anything down that was borrowed. Too long & a little too wide wouldn't be a problem, the excess could be taken up by overlapping I would think. Too short, could be temp lengthened without harming chains. Too narrow won't work.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,238 Posts
I will look when I go to the farm today ,,, I can't remember the tire size on the 560,,but I think they are 38 X. One of em is on the back of the grain drill,,,being used as a drag chain.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by ryanlowe02
old wise farmer once said........

"smart farmer never get tractor or truck stuck.....so he doesnt need tire chains"

:whistle::whistle::whistle:
I would say that was a lazy farmer who didn't want to get out & chore in bad weather.

Tire chains aren't for getting unstuck, they're got getting traction so you don't get stuck to begin with. Kinda like when I turn 4 wheel drive on in someones yard. Not skeered of getting stuck, just don't want to tear up their yard.

·
Registered
14,151 Posts
Originally posted by pinwheel
old wise farmer once said........

"smart farmer never get tractor or truck stuck.....so he doesnt need tire chains"

:whistle::whistle::whistle:
I would say that was a lazy farmer who didn't want to get out & chore in bad weather.

Tire chains aren't for getting unstuck, they're got getting traction so you don't get stuck to begin with. Kinda like when I turn 4 wheel drive on in someones yard. Not skeered of getting stuck, just don't want to tear up their yard.
i hear ya.....just flipping ya some :toilet:

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this place has free shipping, not sure on cost for new set, but if henrys dont end up working some nice new ones might be good investment

http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/tractor-tire-chains.html
Their prices are better than the site I was looking at, but they're not showing free shipping when ya do a checkout. That $100 shipping is the deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
14,151 Posts
Originally posted by pinwheel
this place has free shipping, not sure on cost for new set, but if henrys dont end up working some nice new ones might be good investment

http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/tractor-tire-chains.html
Their prices are better than the site I was looking at, but they're not showing free shipping when ya do a checkout. That $100 shipping is the deal breaker for me.
yeah they flash it on some chains and not all.....fooled me too

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I've got an old set layin in the barn. Don't remember what size they are but if Henry's don't work out you are welcome to 'em. Think they were used on 28's or 30's. They were give to me prolly 10 years ago and I never used them so not sure what kinda shape they are in.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Front wheel assist doesn't help that much PW. My tractor hates ice. No substitute for chains. Maybe with the warm weather today the ice will be gone.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Mecheng
Front wheel assist doesn't help that much PW. My tractor hates ice. No substitute for chains. Maybe with the warm weather today the ice will be gone.
Yeah, but then I got mud. I don't go in there in the mud. Tears too much up.

Really wanting them for later in the winter when the ground itself is froze. Last winter, I tried pulling tops around on my neighbors & as soon as the lugs broke through the grass, I was done. Frozen dirt just doesn't provide any traction, even with new tractor tires.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by nastyjack63
I've got an old set layin in the barn. Don't remember what size they are but if Henry's don't work out you are welcome to 'em. Think they were used on 28's or 30's. They were give to me prolly 10 years ago and I never used them so not sure what kinda shape they are in.
u2u back atcha.

·
Registered
609 Posts
new ones are pricey. good used ones are hard to find. I found a good set just going to local farm sales and got them really cheap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts