Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to set aside some time this year to pop my turkey hunting cherry.

I'm going to do it with archery tackle.

Assuming I have absolutely no equipment besides the bow....List some things that I will need to get started. :whiteflag:

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,448 Posts
[rquote=1553154&tid=108087&author=cfdjay]I am going to set aside some time this year to pop my turkey hunting cherry.

I'm going to do it with archery tackle.

Assuming I have absolutely no equipment besides the bow....List some things that I will need to get started. :whiteflag:[/rquote]

You could throw some shot in that Pro Hunter:stirpot:

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to tackle it in North Carolina... some guys at work are usually pretty successful at it. I'm pretty sure I can get some farms with turkeys on them.

Let's talk money... could I get everything for say under $300?

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[rquote=1553170&tid=108087&author=Montauklunkerhunter]O yea easly under 300... Are you shooting broadheads or gilotenes (spelling)[/rquote]

That was going to be my next question... can I use the broadheads I use for deer?

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
[rquote=1553168&tid=108087&author=cfdjay]I'm going to tackle it in North Carolina... some guys at work are usually pretty successful at it. I'm pretty sure I can get some farms with turkeys on them.

Let's talk money... could I get everything for say under $300?[/rquote]

Depends on what blind you buy. Double bull will eat up all that budget & then some. Decoys, $25-50. What ya got for calls?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Yea you can and Id recommend it! If you go to a gilotene you will have to get a longer shaft, and change your bow up a lil... Id reccomend a normal broadhead, and shoot them at there drummies! Turkeys have to have there legs to fly, and if you put an end to there legs, they cant fly or run.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
[rquote=1553172&tid=108087&author=cfdjay][rquote=1553170&tid=108087&author=Montauklunkerhunter]O yea easly under 300... Are you shooting broadheads or gilotenes (spelling)[/rquote]

That was going to be my next question... can I use the broadheads I use for deer?[/rquote]

Yes. But it would take a couple dull ones & cut notches in the blades to catch feathers as they enter.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[rquote=1553173&tid=108087&author=pinwheel][rquote=1553168&tid=108087&author=cfdjay]I'm going to tackle it in North Carolina... some guys at work are usually pretty successful at it. I'm pretty sure I can get some farms with turkeys on them.

Let's talk money... could I get everything for say under $300?[/rquote]

Depends on what blind you buy. Double bull will eat up all that budget & then some. Decoys, $25-50. What ya got for calls? [/rquote]

I was looking at either a used double bull or a rhino. I've been hearing good things about these rhinos.

Calls?? I have NONE!! Not sure where to begin.

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,448 Posts
I am by no means an expert but some of my buddys sure knock down those turks with a bow and they claim a larger broadhead and they like it when the arrow stays in them vs a passthrough.They turn their poundage down alittle
I have only taken 1 and that was with a rage 2-blade

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[rquote=1553186&tid=108087&author=Montauklunkerhunter]Get a slate call... Mouth calls are cheap but take practice... And I dont like box calls to much do to the motion required to use them. They do make great locator calls though![/rquote]

If I get a slate, I know where to get them... some noname dude on here sell 'em. :whistle:

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[rquote=1553185&tid=108087&author=Refuze2falo]I am by no means an expert but some of my buddys sure knock down those turks with a bow and they claim a larger broadhead and they like it when the arrow stays in them vs a passthrough.They turn their poundage down alittle
I have only taken 1 and that was with a rage 2-blade[/rquote]

That makes sense to me.

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
a blind, a jake decoy, hen decoy and slate call. call very little and then when you think you are calling very little call 1/2 as much!!! your deer broadheads are fine, but they are making turkey heads now other than the ones for head shots only, look at the steel force website for a turkey blade. remeber high to die, low to go (on the shot placement).

Good luck, it is a blast but usually the turkeys win , when if I had the shotgun in hand it would have been over.......but then again that is why bowhunting is so challenging!

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any specific decoys you recommend?

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
[rquote=1553205&tid=108087&author=cfdjay]Any specific decoys you recommend?[/rquote]

none specific, but what really works for me is to put the hen on the grond and have the jake almost mounting her....

one note on any jake decoy make sure the jakes head is not too big or too white.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys.. any more you think of, keep me posted.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.