Im getting crowded

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Hideandwatch, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Hideandwatch

Hideandwatch New Member

I own 20 acres I hunt on with an additional 7 acres to the north and 40 acres to the south. The landowner on the back side has the entire bottom of crop field (around 500 acres) with several small acreages of trees throughout. There is a small plot to the north of the 7 acres, which the guy who has the large acreage also owns. This plot is a good bedding area. One of the large landowners relatives has put a hand crafted wood stand in a tree that is on the fence row adjoining the middle 7 acre plot to my north (which I have permission to hunt on). The stand clearly faces the 7 acre plot to the north(a differnt landowner which I have permission to hunt) and the bedding area which is the large landowners property.
    The question that comes to my mind is why does someone crowd onto a small landowners plot when they have the entire bottom. If it were me I would setup on the large area back a ways and look for the deer to come out of the bedding area onto the large acreage. They end up out there anyways.:mad2: :mad2::mad2:

2. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    Grass is always greener situation sounds like.

3. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    If the guy has permission there's not much you can do about it. I'm guessing he's putting the stand where he believes to be the best place to hunt. Can't blame a guy for that.

4. Hideandwatch

Hideandwatch New Member

[rquote=1887244&tid=131475&author=Hoytshooter]If the guy has permission there's not much you can do about it. I'm guessing he's putting the stand where he believes to be the best place to hunt. Can't blame a guy for that.[/rquote]

Yeah he has permission to hunt on that side of the fence and the property to the north of where I have permission. The little 7 acre plot that his stand overlooks he does not have permission to hunt, this plot from my property to where he has permission is only about 70 yards wide from south to north. The tree is on the property that he has permission to hunt, but the branch that the stand rests on (a large 9" lateral) goes onto the property that he don't have permission to hunt. So half his stand is on property he don't have permission to hunt and you and I know darn well if there's a good one in that little section he will more than likely shoot it.

5. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I hear ya, last year a neighbor to my lease owned 600 acres but only hunted 30 acres that was tucked "inside" my lease as in my ground bordered this 30 acres on 3 sides... they shot 7 deer out of that spot in 5 days. :shrug:

6. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Put a stand on your side of the fence. Along with a trail cam. I'd also let him know you are hunting the small patch.

7. Hideandwatch

Hideandwatch New Member

Here's an Ariel view of what I am referring to. Yellow outline with green X is my place and the area I have permission to hunt, red is landowner on back side and blue is where he placed his stand facing into the yellow.

[file]147030[/file]

8. Hideandwatch

Hideandwatch New Member

[rquote=1887286&tid=131475&author=DADAKOTA]Put a stand on your side of the fence. Along with a trail cam. I'd also let him know you are hunting the small patch.[/rquote]

I have placed 2 stands on my side, and have a trail cam and the landowner knows I will be there.:cheers:

9. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    Until he shoots a deer on the wrong side of the fence he hasn't done anything wrong.

Maybe I'm in the wrong, but I don't like to go calling someone a trespasser or an illegal hunter until they actually do something wrong.

We've all been there. I sat in my stand Saturday morning and watched a guy come in before daylight with his flashlight blaring and climb up in his ladder stand on our fenceline.

No reason to badmouth a guy until he's done something to deserve it is all I'm saying.

10. MajorWyss

MajorWyss New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Audrain
    I brought up this same subject last year, and it garnered a 50/50 response. I still stand by my original philosophy that it is poor ethics to put a stand right on the property line. If the stand shows up on the line and it's facing toward you, it don't take know highly edumacated college boy to figure out what they plan on doing. The dudes north of me have 200 acres of prime territory, mostly wooded, but yet they hang a stand right on the south line so they can watch our 100 acre CRP field. I got a fix for that this year though. :D

11. Hideandwatch

Hideandwatch New Member

[rquote=1887391&tid=131475&author=Hoytshooter]Until he shoots a deer on the wrong side of the fence he hasn't done anything wrong.

Maybe I'm in the wrong, but I don't like to go calling someone a trespasser or an illegal hunter until they actually do something wrong.

We've all been there. I sat in my stand Saturday morning and watched a guy come in before daylight with his flashlight blaring and climb up in his ladder stand on our fenceline.

No reason to badmouth a guy until he's done something to deserve it is all I'm saying.[/rquote]

Well then we will just have to wait and see won't we. All the evidence presented sure leans toward a good bad mouthing for him. I would like to take the time to badmouth him for what I consider bad hunter ethics by fenceline hunting facing adjoining property.:cheers: