Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

If you're tired of 10/22s, check out a CZ 512

4K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  glennasher1 
#1 ·
Yes, everyone and their brothers have 10/22s, some stock, some with various modifications, and yes, they'll shoot fairly well, but if you're tired of the common, everyday Rugers, you might take a look at the CZ 512. They don't have an infinite variety of choices like Rugers, but they don't really need them, either. They shoot quite well, even better than my own 10/22 with a Green Mountain barrel, which makes the price about the same, if you factor in the price of the custom barrel.
My 512 came with a 25 round magazine, but will also take any 5 or 10 round magazine that fits a CZ 452/453/455/457. I usually use a 5 rounder in mine, it's handier and easier to carry that way.
The 512s will shoot most anything fairly well, too, and I have yet to have it choke or puke. Trigger pulls are a bit heavier than the BX trigger in a 10/22, and a fair amount better than a stock 10/22. They are kinda funny looking, but who cares if they shoot well. Considering how funky-looking some of the custom 10/22 stocks are, the 512 is pretty "normal" looking.
Even cheap ammo shoots great in my 512, it favors CCI Blazers mostly, but it will shoot oddball stuff like Geco Semi-Auto .22LR pretty good, too. Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel
Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel
Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel
Triangle Rectangle Font Material property Symmetry

I kinda like mine a lot. That was five rounds at 50 yards, BTW, with a 3-9 scope, nothing fancy.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: fishshooter
#4 ·
They make them in .22 Magnum, too, in case your raccoons are tougher than my raccoons. I hear good things about the Magnums, too. They even make "tactical" models with chassis' like some of the 10/22s out there, except you can buy it already built without the added expense of doctoring up a Ruger. I have strong doubts that the Magnums shoot as well as my little rifle, though, the .22 Mag is NOT as accurate as a Long Rifle. I am seriously considering selling my RAR bolt action .22 Magnum rifle and buying a 512 Magnum, just because.
That group I posted was shot with $27/brick Geco ammo, it shoots even better with Lapua CenterX target ammo, but I can't afford to shoot much of THAT stuff.

#9 ·
I am sure it shoots fine, just not very attractive, and sometimes that's ok too, as accurate is way more attractive than fancy wood or engraving. :D

#12 ·
CZ makes quality firearms. they also make the 512 with a walnut stock and it looks much better than the syn, imho. The problem is that only the hard core "gun " people are going to be interested in them. Average Joe will still buy the 10/22 that has 25 million accessories to put on it. Unfortunately this walnut 512 will probably be denting my wallet soon.

#13 ·
The 512 tactical in 22Mag is the weapon of choice for those wishing to carry the largest legal firearm on State ground that contains hogs, while “squirrel hunting”. It fits a perfect niche of high capacity and quick follow up shots. When paired with premium quality bullets and a quick scope, it is hell on hogs under 100yds.

#14 ·
Hey Henry, one of these is calling your name, in case your ***** are harder to kill than my *****......................512 .22WMR (.22Magnum).
Trigger Air gun Everyday carry Wood Gun barrel

#16 ·
I've got four of their boltguns, manitou1, two 452s and two 455s, along with the 512.

AND, I've got another 512 on the way, a Magnum just like the one pictured on the post to Henry. I ordered it last week, and it oughta be here around Tuesday.

Yeah, I'm all ate up with 'em.:D

It looks like you've got a 455FS in .22Mag, and a 455 Varmint with a can on it. I can't argue with those choices at all. I favor the lighter rifles, but I won't fuss at your choices. I have a 452 American and a 452 Scout, and a stainless 455 synthetic, along with a 455 Scout, which is the most accurate one of the bunch, oddly enough.

Reactions: manitou1
#17 ·
I planned on buying the .22 barrel for the fullstock as it's a .17hmr, but I see they quit the rimfire FS. What a shame.
I have had a lot of fun with prairie dogs and these rifles.
The Varmint is heavy. The FS is actually really light and is my go-to squirrel rifle due to the weight.
Sounds like you have a pretty good collection going.

#18 ·
I haven't had time to shoot it (literally just picked it up) this morning, CZ 512M, American. Just in case my ***** get tougher this winter.................... I had a Burris FFII 3-9 already sitting in some rings, so I'll give it a try-out tomorrow, weather permitting. If the sun shines tomorrow, I'll try to get some decent pics, I think the wood is hiding something that sunlight can bring out.

Attachments

#20 ·
I like the 611 better, but they're discontinued and if you can find one, they're $1500, so I gotta put up with the ugly. They are reliable, so that's something, unlike the 10/22M and Remington's 597, and Marlin's 922, all of which were discontinued due to problems caused by them unlocking too early and blowing up. I have yet to hear of a 512 doing that. Then again, most CZ owners DO bother to clean their rifles now and then, and don't allow a chamber to get fouled to that point. We'll have to see how it's gonna shoot, early indicators look like it's gonna prefer the Hornady 30gr. VMaxes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.