Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're going out early season......how do you plan on keeping the bugs off of you so you can keep your movement to a minimum?

Anyone have any tips to share?

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm going to be using a bug suit and a Thermacell. I've got "No Stinkin' Bugs" as a backup if I need it.

I refuse to get carried away by skeeters.....hearing those things buzz around my ears makes me wanna take a trip to the looney bin.

Parker

·
Registered
598 Posts
I usually try to avoid using anything, but sometimes certain circumstances can't be helped. Bow hunting around the Mississippi is some awesome hunting, but the skeeters are really bad there this time of year. Stinks to cause there's some excellent hunting there. If I do go there I use the spray and really concentrate on the wind factor.:cheers:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's WAAAAAAY too many skeeters down by the river for me to use nothing. When I hunt the high ground on the other farm, I'm fine, but not the bottoms.

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by highgear40
That's why some of the better hunting in Elsberry comes after x-mas. The place I hunt up there is closed from October 15th until Dec 26th, and it's bow only, and right on the Mississippi.:cheers:
Have you tried "No Stinkin' Bugs"? Its not very expensive, and I hear it works.

Have a good night highgear......hold down the fort! :cheers:

Parker

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Parker...save yourself some money and use permanone and then scent eliminator...I don't worry about the wind and I don't get winded.

This year it will be permanone and Dead Downwind

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ive posted on another site about REPELLANTS as i was eat up last sunday and still scratching, grrr. Skin so soft with ir3535 is supposed to be good. Thermacell is supposed to be good but as i understood its a candle type thing which i can't see working when you're walking in ! PERMANONE is supposed to be good too, but no one as of yet SAYS where you get it or if its a spray or what? :banghead:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Light weight long sleeve shirt, head net, and gloves are all I've ever used. I stay away from chemical odors when hunting deer.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Originally posted by Center Punch
Originally posted by River
Ive posted on another site about REPELLANTS as i was eat up last sunday and still scratching, grrr. Skin so soft with ir3535 is supposed to be good. Thermacell is supposed to be good but as i understood its a candle type thing which i can't see working when you're walking in ! PERMANONE is supposed to be good too, but no one as of yet SAYS where you get it or if its a spray or what? :banghead:
Easiest place to find it is Wal Mart in the Camping area with the other bug spray.

Comes in an arosol(sp?) can. $5 gets you two tops, two bottoms, boots, hat, and glove coverage and lasts two weeks.

At Bass Pro they have a larger can for $5 and theirs says it lasts 6 weeks.

Why Dead Downwind? Is it any better than other stuff?

What about tree stands and such. You know things that can't get sealed in a bag or are prone to riding in a trailer down the highway?
The name of it is Repel. I swear by it.

·
27,478 Posts
My pants and shirts are already sprayed with Repel's Permanone. That will keep most of the ticks off me. And I bought a Thermacell. Tried it last Sunday along the MO river in St. Charles. I only had two mosquitos bother me in 3 hours. That thing is a dream come true.

River, it is not a candle. It runs on a butane cartridge and the heater coil in it is inclosed. It won't blow out if that is what you are worrying about.

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,921 Posts
I tend to use nothing and pray for frost. I may have to check out a bug suit or a thermacell even if the commercials with that red headed moron are pathetic. Almost as bad as the sling sticks commercial.

·
Your Local Know It All
7,020 Posts
No stinkin Bugs here.

Hopefully the weather holds out, cooler temps lower the number or skeeters buzzing around.

BTH

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whew! A bunch of ya'll must not have many skeeters where you're at! :eek: Those buggers drive me CRAZY!

MAN I can't wait for opening morning!

Parker

·
27,478 Posts
The thermacell comes with one butane cylinder and 3 repellant pads. The butane is suppose to last for 12 hours and each pad is suppose to last for 4 hours. You can buy refill for it. I think they run like $5 or so.

·
White Board Man
14,373 Posts
Originally posted by Parker
I'm going to be using a bug suit and a Thermacell.
I refuse to get carried away by skeeters.....hearing those things buzz around my ears makes me wanna take a trip to the looney bin.

Parker
Same here, bug suit and thermacell. I get down right mad when I have to hear the skeeters buzzing around me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.