if you were to buy a new deer rifle.....

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by Jeremy, May 23, 2009.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    and you had the choices of 7mm-08, 22-250, or 270...which would you get and why?

2. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    we, me and greendead, shoot a 30.06...dont know why, i guess whoever got me into deer hunting said so.

i was told its a good all around gun, here, for shorter shots, and out west, for long shots(if we ever get there).

sposed to be similar to a .270, from what ive been told, so i guess i'd vote .270. im sure others know waaaay more than i do about it, we'll see what the general consensus is huh, there'll be plenty of opinions.:wave:

3. Mastevt

Mastevt Strutt Buster

Apr 16, 2009
    Grain Valley
    None of those would be my top choice, but thats just my personal preferences.

7mm-08 is a little too big for whitetail, IMHO.
    22-250 is a little too small for whitetail, IMHO.
    270 is an excellent choice, so it's the best of the 3 for whitetail. It shoots flat, and is fast, and not overkill on caliber to do alot of damage in meat spoilage.

All that being said, my ideal caliber is 25-06 for whitetail. But that's just me.

4. Ghost Hunter

Ghost Hunter Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    None of the above as I already have a 270

:sniper:

5. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    i have a 30.06

with matt moving off of his .223, and my wife starting to deer hunt, i need something with manageable recoil.

6. knockemdeadd

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    gotcha....ive never shot em side by side, but ive heard 270 and 3006 have similar recoil.

7. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    did some lookin on the 25-06...too bad i cant add it to the poll

8. knockemdeadd

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    prior to his 30.06, greenhead had a .243....nice shootin gun, very little recoil, killed em dead

food for thought.....

9. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    eh, nephew has a 243...i'm not a big fan of them personaly

10. Ghost Hunter

Ghost Hunter Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    [rquote=1272662&tid=89100&author=Jeremy]eh, nephew has a 243...i'm not a big fan of them personaly[/rquote]

I think they are perhaps a better varmit rifle then a big game rifle-They are in the between spot in my opinion but are light kicking and user friendly to many.

:sniper:

11. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    many would say that about the 223 as well, matt has put his fair share of deer on the ground with it...without ever a lost deer.:cheers:

12. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd go with the .270. You won't be disappointed.

13. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    7-08, #1 Recoil, the recoil is more managable for people who are smaller framed (women and kids), plus not many people like recoil

#2 Bullet preformace, the 7mm bullet always seems to preform flawlessly no matter the angle or the type. I've been told it's because of the bullets sectional density

#3 I think the 7-08 is the best all around gun listed, little sister killed a zebra with one also seen a kudu cow fall to a 7-08

14. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I checked 22-250......because I don't have that caliber. Just enough to drop a deer in his tracks and the added benefit of a great predator round as well. Some say it is to small for deer but I've seen some really good sized deer fall to that little bullet. If you are a half way decent shot the 22-250 is a good flat shooting bullet but you have to keep it in the kill zone to take a deer......and I like that 1/2 inch 5 shot grouping at 100 yards that it is capable of shooting.

15. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    I not a fan of the 3 calibers you listed. Id voice 30-30 or a 35rem both ahve manegable recoil and good for 100 yards.

Of the guys on our lease all there kids ( now grown up ) but when they was 10 they all took deer cleanly and with first shot with 30-30's

My wife who is small framed and not grown up on shooting rifles shoots our 35rem with comfortability and acuracy.

My 8 year old son shoots the 35rem on sand bag with no problem.

Both shooting hunting loads since i not got dink loads for the 35rem.

16. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Probably the .270, since I own two .270s already:D:D, and I'm comfortable with them. I'll BET LARGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY, though, that the deer can't tell any difference between a .270 and a 7mm-08. Both can push a 140 grain bullet, with roughly the same diameter and sectional density, at roughly the same speed (2850fps).
    Then the choice is between the rifles, not the cartridge.

I exclude the .22/250s from this because they are rat rifles, not good deer rifles. Leave the .22/250s out of it, save them for coyotes and crows.

[file]58215[/file]

17. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

[rquote=1272691&tid=89100&author=glennasher1] I exclude the .22/250s from this because they are rat rifles, not good deer rifles. Leave the .22/250s out of it, save them for coyotes and crows.[/rquote]

Amen to that.

:cheers::cheers:

I voted 7mm08. I think its a great deer sized cartridge,,that is comfortable to shoot.

18. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    [rquote=1272690&tid=89100&author=Longbow26] I not a fan of the 3 calibers you listed. Id voice 30-30 or a 35rem both ahve manegable recoil and good for 100 yards.

Of the guys on our lease all there kids ( now grown up ) but when they was 10 they all took deer cleanly and with first shot with 30-30's

My wife who is small framed and not grown up on shooting rifles shoots our 35rem with comfortability and acuracy.

Both shooting hunting loads since i not got dink loads for the 35rem.[/rquote]

of all the guns made in the world..the 30-30 is the last one i would own. theres not one thing i like about em.

19. knockemdeadd

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1272733&tid=89100&author=Jeremy][rquote=1272690&tid=89100&author=Longbow26] I not a fan of the 3 calibers you listed. Id voice 30-30 or a 35rem both ahve manegable recoil and good for 100 yards.

Both shooting hunting loads since i not got dink loads for the 35rem.[/rquote]

of all the guns made in the world..the 30-30 is the last one i would own. theres not one thing i like about em.[/rquote]

too each his own, for sure. nice cartridge, just not the long range ability, so i've been told. im thinkin that 30-30 is prolly THE most popular shell there is, through time.....just my .02

20. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    I don't think you can go wrong w/either the 7-08 or 270. Personally I would go w/the 7mm-08 only because it is a short action wich I like. Short actions can be built slightly lighter (granted only a few ozs) and more compact. With that said 270 rounds are prolly a bit cheaper and eaiser to find. Any place that sells ammo will carry 270. The local MFA sells 270 and a few other popular calibers but I couldn't run to town where I live and buy 7-08's.