Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Kansas City city limits. Behind my house is 50 acres that is zoned agricultural.

This morning I saw eight deer just behind my fence. One of them clearly had a broken leg and did not move well. The group stayed together, but was moving slow because of this deer. One deer in particular stayed very close to the wounded deer, almost like it was taking care of the other.

When you see a wounded deer, do you do anything about it? Do you just let it be and let nature work it out?

Obviously I would not do anything directly as I am in city limits and out of season. Is this something that can be reported to the Conservation Department so they could harvest the animal as it is in the same place at the same times everyday?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
If i lived in city limits id call an mdc agent. Out here in the country, id give it a .17hmr round in the head if it was in really bad shape. It would depend how injured it appeared.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I watched the heard for about 20 minutes. The wounded deer only moved about thirty feet. It would put its head down and pretty much move on its front feet, hoping on the one hind leg. The "nurse" deer stayed right by its side. The rest of the heard was active, but they were never spread out further than about 20 yards. It appeared that the heard was ready to move along their regular path.

I have never seen any predators around such as coyotes or stray dogs/packs around.

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
I am sure the wound animal appreciates living with the wound rather than getting finished off. But, if I have a tag in pocket I will shoot the wounded ones! always smile when people say "i did it a favor":D

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,689 Posts
JeepMonkey-
If you know the owner of the property, get a "managed hunt" on it. It's a one hour process (or even on-line) with owner's signature.
Joe DeBold is the MDC agent who handles it for the KC area. Don't let that 50 acre piece go un-hunted!
If you want emails and all that, U2U me.
With that said, we have a young buck around here with an arrow sticking out its neck. Been like that for a month. I can't seem to get in position to kill it. (Not my arrow, either).
Surprising what they can live with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.