Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
72,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not meant to be a discussion on the pro's and con's of Antler restrictions. I don't really care if you like/dislike them, or if you think they should go away, etc, etc, etc... We have had that argument over & over again.:stickfight:

But, if you have been hunting in a county that has had the AR's since 2004 like me, I am curious as to what you have observed, and what you have killed before AR's, and after. I am not considering 2004 a post AR year, and really....2005 barely makes the cut.

I bought my place in 2001. And, from 2001 - 2005 we did not kill one single 3.5 year old buck.... And, in that time I only saw one that would have been 3.5 or older while I was hunting....

Starting in 2006 thru the 2009 season.... My family has taken 6 nice bucks, most of which, if not all of them, 3.5 & older. A couple had nice racks, and may have been ambitious 2.5 year olds..... And, I have lost count on the number of 3.5 & older deer we have seen during that time....

I personally don't care about the pro's and con's of the AR's.... But, I do like seeing the results. I don't really consider myself a "trophy" hunter, and I have never taken a deer that would of gone much bigger than 130"..... I don't measure them, so that is not my goal. I will kill the first buck that get's me excited enough to pull the trigger..... Nowadays, that is usually a buck that has nice mass, and appears to be 3.5 or more in age.....

Just curious if many of you have seen having similar experiences since 2005/06?

If you don't like AR's, and want to rant about that, please have the courtesy to do that in another thread. Thanks!:2thumbsup:

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
Only been in effect here for a couple years now and I really haven't seen the difference yet, except in my frezer.

maybe next year I'll see the changes

·
Registered
967 Posts
My camp is in NW MO and since the AR's were established I have taken 2 bucks that were over 3 1/2 YO, and I have seen a lot more mature deer. This season was strange as the corn and beans on the surrounding farms was still in so the activity wasn't normal, and the peak rutting activity appeared to be during the first youth season. IMO the only drawback is that I have seen some bucks that need to be taken including one old spike horn and two spindly twisted six points. I do like the results of seeing more mature bucks though.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
i think it does help get more bucks to a mature age, have seen quite a few decent racked 8-10pts...... also since the ARS have been in place i killed the 4 biggest bucks in my hunting career one over 170 and a 140

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I can take the restriction or leave it, I just like to eat, BUT the racks and the number of bucks I have seen is much better in the last couple of years

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
i honestly don't think they are a good idea. the only positive for you trophy hunters is it forces law abiding citizens to hold out longer for a buck. you all know me, if you want it, kill it and that goes for anything, not just deer. well, we could stand to put some tighter restrictions on hen killers.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,465 Posts
Only been in effect for 2 years on our place. Don't see any significant difference. Course, most of us out there were already practicing AR on our own before it was made law.:cheers:

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
sounds to me you like ARs and my observations are identical to yours, Im not afraid to admit i LOVE ARs

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
72,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[rquote=1542880&tid=107451&author=pinwheel]Only been in effect for 2 years on our place. Don't see any significant difference. Course, most of us out there were already practicing AR on our own before it was made law.:cheers:[/rquote]

Third year is when I started to see the results. I do have to admit though.... My results may be a bit skewed, as every year I seem to become more and more patient about what I will shoot. First couple a years I owned my place, I passed on small bucks, but first couple a doe I would see, I drill'd em. May have cost me a buck or two along the way. I don't shoot a doe now, until the buck is on the ground.....:D

·
Under appreciated
91,780 Posts
ARs didnt change the way I hunt that much anyway, at least at this stage in my life.

I pulled the trigger a few times on younger bucks when I was younger so I dont see the sense in it now.
If I want a deer bad enough, I'll shoot a doe. MOST years, a guy that puts in a decent amount of effort shouldnt have a problem killing a doe.
I only got to bowhunt 5 times in MO this year and 4 of them I had opportunities to kill a doe if I wanted.
3 different farms, 3 different geographies in MO. Not EVERY year is like that, but most seem to be.

I had an opportunity every time I rifle hunted with the one exception of 1 very windy and cold ML hunt where I DID see deer but they were pushed and on the move with no quality shot available.

We try not to kill bbs during rifle season but it has happened and it will happen in the future. I dont lose any sleep over it and its always fun for some friendly harrassing. :D

·
Under appreciated
91,780 Posts
Oh... and yes, the mature buck encounters have increased, which was your original question.. I got sidetracked. :D

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,465 Posts
[rquote=1542999&tid=107451&author=rat]Oh... and yes, the mature buck encounters have increased, which was your original question.. I got sidetracked. :D[/rquote]

You? Get sidetracked? Say it ain't so Paul.:rof2:

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
our farn in camden co has only been in the ar's for two years. the people who hunt around there generally shoot ANYTHING!!!!! first year there we small buck with there antlers broke off and the meat gone left in highly visible spots. Didn't see any of that this past season so hopefully those jerks have conformed or moved on.

I sure hope the AR's produce like that have in other areas as I have not squeezed the trigger on a buck there for 13 years (also the same as never). So, if I start shooting bucks south in the next couple years I will have to agree that the ar's may not help the doe harvest but might help the little bitty 1.5 year old bucks that people love to shoot survive!

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
well i likem,but to be honest i seen less bucks that i have in years.could have been the corn though:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.