Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get to hunt some land that is about 100 acres in Franklin Co. Just talked to the owener today and asked if next year I could plant some food plots. There are big bucks on this place and no food but they like the area. Anyways I thought I was going to be able to plant 6 total acres consisting of 3 different plots. I wanted to do beans on 4 acres and clover on 1 and turnips one the last acre. However, the 4 acre hay field is going to stay in hay cause he gets money for it. So my question is if you only had 2-3 acres to create a food plot what would you plant? I'm leaving toward clover and turnips, anyother suggestion. If not turnips I like the idea behind AntlerKing RedZone

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
nothing beats corn or soybeans imo

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would love to put Corn and Soybeans in but thats not an option because I will be gone most of the spring and summer

·
Registered
518 Posts
i don't think beans would ever make it if there isn't any other grain source around. I'd imagine you'd need 15 acres in order to get any beans.

·
Registered
869 Posts
What do the neighboring properties look like? Any crop ground there? Like hippie said, if there isn't anything else close the deer will just hammer your beans and there won't be anything left for most of the hunting season.

Beans would be my number one choice, then corn.... then clover if that will be the only food plot planted anywhere around your hunting area.

·
Registered
23,529 Posts
Hard to beat clover to handle year round browse pressure and longevity IMO, especially in small plots where little else exists.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what I know of the property across the road (actually a 2 lane normal road) has beans. Think for next year I'm going to go with clover and turnips

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
For the whole area, I'd plant roundup ready beans. If they make beans, great. Then sow in some oats, winter wheat, or winter rye and some clover/chicory in mid Sept. If they don't make, sow the same mix at the same time. Keep the weeds down all summer with a periodic spraying.

I'd probably just put an acre in clover personally then keep the other plot annuals. Maybe 1/4 in turnips or brassicas to see how the deer like them and maybe the other 1-2 acres in austrian winter peas, winter wheat/rye/oats combo.

[Edited on 12-9-2009 by HabitatMD]

·
Registered
175 Posts
Since that area is mostly corn and bean farming ground, this fall I would plow it and put it all in WW. The following Feb. I would frost seed half of it in clover and maybe some chickory.

The following fall, replant your WW half and let the clover keep growing.

After 2 yrs., plow the clover under and plant WW and frost seed clover in the former WW ground the following Feb.

WW isn't one of the glamor food plots, but year in and year out, I haven't found anything that is more attractive during hunting season. Since you are a long ways away, this will give you a productive plot, with minimal attention.

[Edited on 12-9-2009 by BrentWin]

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone ever tried RED ZONE by Antlerking?....New for 2008 is Antler King’s RED ZONE food plot mix. All serious whitetail hunters are looking for ways to increase their chances of scoring on a trophy buck. Antler King’s RED ZONE is a food plot designed to do just that! RED ZONE is comprised of 2 varieties of forage and grain soybeans, a variety of forage peas, a variety of buckwheat and more! RED ZONE will mature at different periods throughout the year, offering a food plot the deer will crave during the spring, summer, fall and winter. RED ZONE can be planted from May thru August in the northern U.S. and March thru September in the southern U.S. (When planting in the fall, plant at least 60 days before the first expected frost) If you can only plant one food plot this year, you need to plant RED ZONE! Plant RED ZONE and put yourself in position to score this season! Available in 1/2 acre bag.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
You can't control weeds with roundup if you planted it. If you have a relatively clean field or don't care how weedy your plot gets. I'd rather just go to the co-op personally and grab a bag or 4 of RR beans, but that's just me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts