Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
19,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brother, (slinger on michiganwhitetails) has won a Elk hunt through SCI i believe, anyway he has called me e-mailed me, messaged me, wondering what his setup should be, he is limited in funds, full time air guard and they don't pay much we all know that

he has a hoyt bow not sure what model, so my question to you all is
what would you put on your bow for sights,rest,dampeners broadheads yada yada, give me a complete component make up, i give him 3 broadheads to look at, the nap razorbak, the montec g5 and muzzy

·
Grrrrrrr
30,041 Posts
Man for me it would just be my normal hunting bow...the one I'm most comfortable with. The key is to be able to shoot it accurately and let that razor sharp broadhead do it's job.

I assume he's an accomplished archer and an experienced bowhunter?? If he's not then practice in a variety of shooting situations and distances would be the first order of business for sure.

All modern archery tackle will kill an elk dead but yes I would want as much energy as I can generate and still be comfortable and accurate. As far as broadheads goes I would want one that is strong and durable and most important, sharp.

Just reread the above and didn't really mean to dis the traditional archers....those guys kill elk too.

·
19,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[rquote=1528881&tid=106562&author=archer66]Man for me it would just be my normal hunting bow...the one I'm most comfortable with. The key is to be able to shoot it accurately and let that razor sharp broadhead do it's job.

I assume he's an accomplished archer and an experienced bowhunter?? If he's not then practice in a variety of shooting situations and distances would be the first order of business for sure.

All modern archery tackle will kill an elk dead but yes I would want as much energy as I can generate and still be comfortable and accurate. As far as broadheads goes I would want one that is strong and durable and most important, sharp.

Just reread the above and didn't really mean to dis the traditional archers....those guys kill elk too.[/rquote]yup archer he can hit what he's looking at, and actually needs a new bow,but he's having it re-cabled and new string, his gear is stuff he nursed through several seasons, and needs new rest, sights, broadheads

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
I hit a cow elk this year, sure looked like a good hit in the vitals. It was not a perfect hit, a few inches back and up from perfect, but when I saw the hit and saw ribs on both sides, plenty below the spine and plenty high away from the guts, I thought dead elk and that we would be packing some meat off that hill. It was my first shot at an animal using Montec G-5's. Couldn't find a blood trail and looked a long long long time.
Got me second guessing the switch to G-5's even though I like the design. Some people say they aren't as sharp as other broadheads. I don't know for sure what happened, but I switched my arrows back to Thunderheads after that.

Good luck to him. :cheers: :eek::

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
[rquote=1528881&tid=106562&author=archer66]Man for me it would just be my normal hunting bow...the one I'm most comfortable with. The key is to be able to shoot it accurately and let that razor sharp broadhead do it's job.

Just reread the above and didn't really mean to dis the traditional archers....those guys kill elk too.[/rquote]

Ditto . Most modern bows are capable of killing an Elk . The key is having enough kinetic energy , a sharp broadhead , and shot placement . As for equipment choices ? You will get a hundred different answers on that one . It's best for him to pick out what works best for his setup within his budget .

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
I would go with a setup that is as fail-safe as you can get.
Whisker Biscuit rest, Muzzy broadheads (original or MX series) and a rock solid sight. I would use a Spot Hogg Hunter but they are on the spendy side...

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
[rquote=1529288&tid=106562&author=Radar][rquote=1528881&tid=106562&author=archer66]Man for me it would just be my normal hunting bow...the one I'm most comfortable with. The key is to be able to shoot it accurately and let that razor sharp broadhead do it's job.

Just reread the above and didn't really mean to dis the traditional archers....those guys kill elk too.[/rquote]

Ditto . Most modern bows are capable of killing an Elk . The key is having enough kinetic energy , a sharp broadhead , and shot placement . As for equipment choices ? You will get a hundred different answers on that one . It's best for him to pick out what works best for his setup within his budget .
[/rquote]

Ditto x2!:cheers::wave:

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,447 Posts
[rquote=1529401&tid=106562&author=FiremanBrad][rquote=1529288&tid=106562&author=Radar][rquote=1528881&tid=106562&author=archer66]Man for me it would just be my normal hunting bow...the one I'm most comfortable with. The key is to be able to shoot it accurately and let that razor sharp broadhead do it's job.

[/rquote]

Ditto x2!:cheers::wave:[/rquote]

Yeah ...what they said:cheers:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Any good whitetail setup will work, I wouldnt use mech broadheads tho. Both bulls I killed, I was shooting 63lbs, 4 blade muzzy, 90grains. I had 20 to 60yd pins. Learn to judge yardage good, terrain is deceptive out there and an elk looks alot closer then they are. Good comfortable boots, I used 200gram insulation max, it gets really warm in Sept during the day sometimes. Be in shape is a must or ull be dragging azz after 2 days.

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
[rquote=1528920&tid=106562&author=yankee][rquote=1528881&tid=106562&author=archer66]Man for me it would just be my normal hunting bow...the one I'm most comfortable with. The key is to be able to shoot it accurately and let that razor sharp broadhead do it's job.

Just reread the above and didn't really mean to dis the traditional archers....those guys kill elk too.[/rquote]yup archer he can hit what he's looking at, and actually needs a new bow,but he's having it re-cabled and new string, his gear is stuff he nursed through several seasons, and needs new rest, sights, broadheads [/rquote]

whisker bisquit and a black gold sight. his bow set-up should be fine. even though those elk are bigger archery is still about getting them close.

Tell him good luck and he cannot possibly be in too good of shape for elk hunting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.