Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lunch break commander
8,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could get the fever again.

I have used a whiteriver clasic from bass pro for years now. It cost 39 dollars back when I got it. I have always wanted a realy nice fly rod but neve spent the money. I cant complain about that rod thogh it has landed everthing from a 2lb smally to a 32" brown. and numerous sizes of trout in between.

I am not planing on getting one anytime soon but if I did what would you recomend for somewhere in the $200 dollar range. just for a wish list.

·
Registered
514 Posts
SAGE!! good and not TOOO expensive. ha. very sensitive yet durable rods.:cheers:

·
Registered
514 Posts
[rquote=1587043&tid=110158&author=greenheadsmoker]St. Croix [/rquote]

EXPENSIVE! but of course, amazing rods!!!! no offense greenhead. but if ur going kinda cheap. ha

G

·
[rquote=1587045&tid=110158&author=Whitetail Itch][rquote=1587043&tid=110158&author=greenheadsmoker]St. Croix [/rquote]
but if ur going kinda cheap. ha[/rquote]uh what?:confused: but you can find the year old models fairly cheap at the fly shops around the stl

·
Registered
514 Posts
[rquote=1587047&tid=110158&author=greenheadsmoker][rquote=1587045&tid=110158&author=Whitetail Itch][rquote=1587043&tid=110158&author=greenheadsmoker]St. Croix [/rquote]
but if ur going kinda cheap. ha[/rquote]uh what?:confused: but you can find the year old models fairly cheap at the fly shops around the stl [/rquote]

true,true

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
A St. Croix Imperial can be had quite inexpensively if you shop around. I bought mine in a kit, new, for $150.00. If you're going to fish graphite I believe the Imperial is as good as the Avid.

I'd recommend a vintage bamboo rod in 5/6 wt. No synthetic rod is as elegant as a nice bamboo. Lots of good ones can be had for the $200.00 mark. South Bend, Heddon, some Graingers and Phillipsons are available for the $200.00 mentioned and even some of the higher end H & I's and Montagues can be found for $100.00. I just picked up a nice H & I Tonka Prince, 4 wt. for $100.00. You'll open up a whole new world of fly fishing.

Don't believe anything you hear regarding how fragile bamboo is supposed to be, tain't so. There is no rod made of synthetic materials that will protect a tippet like a well made bamboo. That isn't opinion, that's fact.

Vic

·
blu bogart
22,885 Posts
If you had good luck with the whiteriver line ,stick with it.Up grade,use the other as a backup with sink line or beefier tippet.Like 8#-10# tippet for night/high water.Whiteriver has hobb creek for the money your looking for, even less......alot less at the sale coming up i would guess.Good customer service.

·
Banned
24,572 Posts
If you are successful with what you are using, why switch? I see some of them goof balls wander up and down the river all day long with them high dollar rigs catching nothing but a cold.

·
blu bogart
22,885 Posts
I agree racks but dont talk the guy otta a new rod.....never have to many.:rof2: I like to have two,mabe an extra spool.....for quick road trip ,minimal setup and a pair of tying glasses.The eye's and fingers dont want to work together in this cold weather.:rof2::cheers:

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
My wife has a Hobbs Creek, 5 wt., and I'd give that rod good marks. Sorry I can't recall which one but it was less than a C note.

Today, when it comes to graphite, there are no bad rods. Just some that are a little better.

Just for grins and giggles check out clarksclassicflyrods.com/yuku

Vic

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'd head over to Hargrove's, cast every rod on the rack and pick the one you like best..Might cost you a bit more than $200 though. Figure you'll want a new reel, and a line, so you better budget that too. Cheers.

·
blu bogart
22,885 Posts
Cool link Vic,just what I need right now while sitting,looking through frosted windows.:rof2:
Pastor,get you one of those hobbs creeks,wont break the bank ,they come fully set up.......I'd use the extra $$$ you use on some premo line.Wont be long and you'll have a reason to stop trout fishing......they'll regulate you out of the sport aka new duck park rules,AR,trophy brown rules,slot limits........oh sorry:whistle:.....i'll start my own thread.:rof2::cheers::smiley:

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
shawn....if you haven't cast one, don't. Oh what the heck....might as well have another rod in arsenal.

I know I won't go back to graphite rods and plastic lines. But they don't appeal to everyone.

Pastor......yup....I believe ya oughta try a cane stick.

Vic

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.