Ideas for a home gun range ........

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by looking_for_guns, Oct 31, 2010.

1. I was thinking about putting in a hundred yard range here at the house and I have a real good spot to put one (as you will see in the picture that is post)

I can set up a table or lay on the corner of the carport and shoot down though or field. As you will see in the picture once you get past our yard and into the field is where the tall grass starts. Sometime in February we will be burning off the field so I will be starting from dirt and not having to worry about cutting the tall grass down.

Now to the questions:

1.) After we burn it should I work up the ground a little bit or should I just throw out seed and cover it with straw or hay? That way I can keep it nicely groomed with the lawn mower.

2.) There are 3 yellow dots on the picture and I am thinking that I am going to put up a little rig that will hold bowling pins that just hang there. Does that sound good or should I just set them on a makeshift table and shoot them?

3.) The middle yellow dot I am thinking about putting a 2 foot wide by 16 foot long target holder there. I am not 100% sure how I am going to do that. Was thinking that I would get a piece of plywood or press board about 1/4 or 3/8 thick cut it in have and put up. Any suggestions on how to do that.

4.) I am not sure what I am going to be putting up on the right yellow dot. Any suggestion on what you think I should have there?

You maybe looking at the picture thinking that it doesn't look safe but I can rest to assure you that from shooting from the carport that it is a little bit of an angle to the targets and there is a 99% chance they will go straight into the ground behind the targets.

Thank you for any and all suggestion in this planning stage

:cheers:

[file]144755[/file]

2. glennasher1

glennasher1 Active Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    I'd still like to have a berm behind the targets, just for piece of mind. Bullets ricochet off hard ground or water, really badly, and can go for miles that way.

The range I use ( a nice public range on an Indiana CA) also has lean toos behind their targets, to catch any bullets that might deflect upwards (tons of dirt piled on top of the leantoos, also) That place rarely loses a bullet. I don't have any pics, but I can get them after rifle season (I've already got the rifles zeroed)
    They use some pvc pipe buried in the ground, so you can stick 2x2s in them, and staple cardboard to the 2x2s. I like the plywood they used to use, better, but this is less costly, and those are taxpayer dollars paying for the range, so cheap is good, right? (Pittman-Robertson tax $$ pay for ranges, on public land, if the states are smart enough to apply for it).

3. Gakic24

Gakic24 Active Member

Get a dozer and be sure to make a good backstop.:cheers:

4. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    [rquote=1872568&tid=130402&author=glennasher1] I'd still like to have a berm behind the targets, just for piece of mind. Bullets ricochet off hard ground or water, really badly, and can go for miles that way.

[/rquote]

I totally agree with Glenn on this one. If you can't afford to have a berm built cut up some stumps of good size and triple stack them at least 4 or 5 foot so that a bullet can't squeeze between them.

I don't know if that is the driveway that you are shooting across or not but if it is I doubt that you could hear a car coming with your ear protection on when shooting. Just to many possible accidents in that photo. Sorry to rain on your parade Jason but you wanted opinions.

5. [rquote=1872599&tid=130402&author=Mailman][rquote=1872568&tid=130402&author=glennasher1] I'd still like to have a berm behind the targets, just for piece of mind. Bullets ricochet off hard ground or water, really badly, and can go for miles that way.

[/rquote]

I totally agree with Glenn on this one. If you can't afford to have a berm built cut up some stumps of good size and triple stack them at least 4 or 5 foot so that a bullet can't squeeze between them.

I don't know if that is the driveway that you are shooting across or not but if it is I doubt that you could hear a car coming with your ear protection on when shooting. Just to many possible accidents in that photo. Sorry to rain on your parade Jason but you wanted opinions.[/rquote]

I will do the stump thing or something to put behind them

The drive way is a circle drive the part that is leading down towards the field is never used unless we have some type of G2G here at the house so I am not to worried about the car situation

It is no biggie Mailman that is why I am asking for opinions

:cheers:

6. bulletman

bulletman Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sedalia
    IF you do it there, make a driveway block, you say you're not too worried, but what about the person driving in and circles the driveway not knowing you're shooting and you don't hear their quiet car because of hearing protection, laying on the corner of the carport I'm worried about someone coming around the corner in front of you (can't tell from the pic but think about this).

7. kevthebassman

kevthebassman New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Eureka
    IMHO, it would be worth it to you to hire someone to come out with a bobcat and make you some sort of berm. Maybe a grand out of your pocket now could save you a million dollars later.

8. cshoff

cshoff New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Gasconade County
    WELL worth $59.95:

9. Cook

Cook Active Member

May 28, 2003
    I won't comment on the backstop...but after you burn the fied,why do anything other than just mow it??Just let whatever grows,grow,but keep it trimmed short...unless ya got all the stuff to do it anyways.

10. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Can you see the area from the public road?

That's how houses get broken into

11. yankee

yankee Senior Member

you really don't need to hire a dozer, put an add in the paper requesting clean free fill dirt, most excavating companies are always looking for a spot to dump loads of dirt after they excavate a basement or whatever, if a company bites, tell em what your doing and how many loads you might need

then, if that is your driveway, id build a locking gate across it with signs on it stating firearms in use do not cross, please blow your horn