Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys....I come to you for some ideas for a big buck contest. The Charlotte Firefighters Benevolent Fund and Local 660 has asked me to think of some fund raising ideas and I've come up with a big buck contest. This is enlight of a sudden passing of one of our firefighters due to a sudden illness. Our unions funding is lacking and we need to increase the funding. First, I would like to know if anyone here would be interested and second, I would like some ideas on donations as prizes. I will tell you this, it will be simple as to the entries. The deer must be officially scored and a copy of the score signed by the official scorer will be the only acceptable means of entering a deer. We will have 2 divisions, archery and gun. We will also see if we can get a website up and running to show pics of the hunters and their entries. Ideas I have come up with for prizes are gift certificates for Cabelas or Bass Pro. Taxidermy donations. Cash. New gun or bow. Let me know what you guys think. Constructive criticism is welcome...thanks again guys!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,792 Posts
check out www.kmzu.com If you go to the big buck contest link on the left side they have what prizes, their sponsors, and all the way at the bottom there is a link to the rules they use. They've got pictures of the people who entered deer, but there were a lot more entries into the contest that didn't have deer - I should know, there were 3 from my family. Hope this helps you out some and Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I think your on the right track and it sounds like time to call in some favors for donations to the cause, keep it simple but stay strick to your rules, no grey area and it surely will be a success. you are at the right place to start and count me in! I hope a big Ontario buck can be enetered!! :D

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ginger, Thanks for the link. That will be a great resource when finalizing rules.

Hatch, As I see it, we will let deer from anywhere be entered as long as it has an official gross score.

I plan on talking to Brad on the best way of going about this.

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
From my experience with running a big buck contest here at my work...the bigger it get the more or a pain it gets. If it gets as big as it sounds like you hope it does, you should probably consider what will happen if things go sour. A waiver signed by all entrants and/or who will pay the legal fees if they arise.
The bigger the prizes the better the chances of someone getting their feelings hurt.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope people realize it's a fundraiser more than anything. I hear what you're saying though. If you have a link to some kind of waiver that would be great. I noticed on the kmzu contest they cover themselves by saying all decisions are final and not arguable.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
SC boys may have a problem with IL, MO and KS deer being entered in the contest.....

Through NWTF, we've had great luck with ****'s Sporting Goods donating items and coupons to us. Bass Pro will probably donate coupons too. Dunno if you've got a ****'s out there or not.

Parker

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure Do!! I completely forgot about them!! THANKS!!

Alot of the guys here, NC by the way, travel to the midwest to hunt. Hopefully it won't be that big of an issue.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Oops! NC! I got the C part right! They're pretty much the same thing, right? :D :peepwall:

You'll probably want to get an FFL dealer on your team so that you can get a gun for cost, so you're getting the best 'bang' for you 'buck'.

Parker

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I would like to join in on this contest also. I think it sounds like a great idea. One thing I think should be considered is if Fenced in deer will be allowed. Also you need to decide if there is going to be a typical and non typical contest.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fenced deer? YIKES! We'd have a hard time proving (or disproving) where the deer was taken. Yes, there would be typical and nontypical divisions.

·
just a no body
15,714 Posts
Originally posted by hunter7x
From my experience with running a big buck contest here at my work...the bigger it get the more or a pain it gets. If it gets as big as it sounds like you hope it does, you should probably consider what will happen if things go sour. A waiver signed by all entrants and/or who will pay the legal fees if they arise.
The bigger the prizes the better the chances of someone getting their feelings hurt.
AMEN!!! and the more illegal deer get entered

Not to weee wee on your idea but I think I'd keep the contest local

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll have to dwell on it some more. I appreciate all the input!!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
$5 dollar entry fee, Polaroide of the deer given to those who bring one in on a plaque. Winner baised on weight. Big buck winner, spilit with big doe winner. Some ideas baised on past contests I've been in. Weight seems to make it easier due to no one having to score the deer, one scale all deer entered. Make a point that it is a fund raiser! Good Luck

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
The KMZU contest has a final day, where all the entered racks are measured by the same small group of measurers...which would mean keeping yours local too. 4 of us came up with what rules they have on thier website, they seem to work out ok, but anything you can add to CYA would be a good idea....I believe all thier prizes are donated. Good luck to ya Jay, anything I can do, let me know!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.