Iccyman001's 2015 journal

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by iccyman001, Jul 7, 2015.

1. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    I'm still out here battling crazy weather.

Yesterday I was hunting in shorts and a tank top, high winds and humidity. Then last night we got destroyed by tornados, hail and it's still over 30 mph winds with gusts up to 50.....

Cameras are showing most deer movement at night.
    I'm not giving up and I'm being stubborn.

I'm still passing deer that range from 90-110".
    It's silly because I'm still a noob and would love shooting them, but I'm aware of what's out there and I know if I pass them I'll have a crack at them next year due to the low pressure.

Any day of hunting is better than work....
    Remember I saw 57 mule deer does and no bucks on my mule deer hunt?

Well I was able to balance my thoughts towards those mule deer out here....

First mule deer ever and first doe.....
    I named her summer sausage :)

I'm hunting out here until Thursday evening, working a few days, celebrating turkey day and then heading back out for more hunting!

Good luck everyone

Attached Files:

2. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Look what came home today :)

Attached Files:

3. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Gosh I have been slacking on this!!!!

Long story short, I've been passing smaller bucks like it's my job.
    Why you might ask? Why do you pass bucks on public land? Well, it's so dang low pressured that all these bucks I pass on this year I MAY see next year.

I do however regret one buck I passed on. I was still hunting a creek bed in about 30 mph winds and came up behind a mature buck.... that was 10 feet away.
    Not 10 yards... 10 feet :eek:
    I ended up drawing on him twice, but I let him go another day. He had a busted up rack, so at the moment I didn't think I wanted him.

Looking back at it now, I feel semi stupid because he was clearly a mature buck and how many people can say they killed a buck with a bow while still hunting.

Here he is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey Jawesome357, not sure if you're in MX, but this guy is studying for his 5 level...
    [​IMG]

I am also heading out this weekend to help my buddy on his oryx hunt!
    This will give me a lot of good experience for my oryx hunt in Feb!

4. jawesome357

jawesome357 The Instigator

Oct 31, 2013
    The only OC

To bad you are busy playing with C-130s!!! We are always needing Uh-60 guys here! Oh and the hunting ain't to bad either :wave:

5. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    I love the dirty 130s, but I am also stuck with these dang CV-22s..... :mad:

Rumor has it the hunting isn't too bad there :wave:

6. jawesome357

Oct 31, 2013
    The only OC
    From what I hear it can be... Maybe!

7. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Helped my buddy on his oryx hunt this weekend.

Teaser.....

Stories and pics to follow later.
    Needless to say, I am so antsy for my February oryx hunt.

Attached Files:

8. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    Did he get drawn in New Mexico?

9. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Yes, sir!
    He drew mcgregory range through an outfitter.
    I drew stallion range as the once in a lifetime hunt(no guide) 3% draw odds!

His cow scored 36".
    I cannot wait for my hunt.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  10. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    That's awesome! I'm going to start putting in for it. One of the most beautiful animals in the world! I started putting in for the Kentucky elk hunt last year. 2 really high draw odd hunts lol.

11. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Good luck, Maddux!
    I hope you get one. Don't forget about NM elk too. No preference points so all nonresident applicants are in the same pool!

12. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Ok, so my buddies Oryx hunt.....

This was such a cool experience and definitely primed me for my Oryx hunt in Feb.

The McGregor range is not the once in a life time draw due to lower oryx population.
    Saturday we spent a long time battling rain, 4 hours of snow, and high winds. Finally in the afternoon we found a group of 8 oryx and began our attack.
    It was 2 full horned, 1 unicorn, and 5 broken horn slick head oryx. We attempted a few stalks on them (they were about 1500 yards out) but they pegged us and moved.

We hopped in the truck and drove to the other side of the canyon and caught them coming over a ridge. After watching them for a while the guide noticed them starting to sprint in a direction, so he yells "get in the F'ing truck, I have an idea."

He starts speeding down some roads at a certain point he said "look to the left", sure enough the oryx were sky lining themselves about 800 yards out and were running towards our road at a full sprint.

The guide told my buddy, "we are going to intercept them, get ready, we are going to get right on top of them."

The next 30 seconds were a blurry cartoon. We were doing about 50 mph and they were easily sprinting over 40 mph. I was in the back seat ranging....800, 600, 400, 200....holy sh.... 150....

The guide stops and yells at us to get out. We hop out and get 40 yards off the road (some roads you can shoot from out there, others you have to get off 40 feet)
    My buddy drops to a knee and I take position behind him with the range. The guide yells "#2, SHOOT HER"

Me- "50 yards!" BOOM........hit
    Guide- "SHOOT AGAIN"
    me- "150 yards" BOOM..... hit
    Guide- "SHOOT AGAIN"
    Me- "300 yards"....BOOM..... miss

They say bad hunts can go to a good hunt in 10 seconds and this proved that to a T.

The oryx were following a fence line and ended up running right up to us and in front of us.

For those of you who don't know, an Oryx is a TANK. Their will to survive is like no other animal I have experienced and their adrenaline glands are double the size of an elk.

My buddy who had spent months practicing long shots with his rifle just shot off hand at 50, 150, 300 yards at running animals and was able to make two shots.

The first hit was the one that you see under the spine. It barely nicked the spine, but hit the artery running under it.
    The second hit was quartering away. It hit right rear leg and exited through the off side mid chest.

After some quick regrouping and reloading, we went on our walk to find her. We found her tracks because the print pattern was obvious injury. You could see her deep imprints on most of them and then a soft touch on the injured leg.
    We tracked for 250 yards and found her bedded down. The two shots were enough to kill her, but to speed the process up he put another bullet into her lungs.

Done deal.

She weighs about 325 lbs and scored 36" which is a great size for an Oryx!

In the whole experience I was able to learn how to glass for them, learned about their daily patterns, how they work fence lines, and where to shoot!
    I cannot wait for my hunt!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  13. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
  14. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Updated

Rifle specs: .270 WSM with heated hand loads.
    the 140 gr accubonds did some damage!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  15. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    So freaking awesome! Congrats to your buddy and good luck to you!

16. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013

Thanks!!!
    I am shooting as much as I can up until my hunt.
    I will be 110% ready for this hunt. :eek::

17. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    I've been swamped and haven't been able to update, but the only thing you need to know is .....

T- Minus 6 days until my Oryx hunt :eek::

[​IMG]

A pretty cool note regarding the Oryx hunt....
    The NM once in a life time tag that I drew was the returning Iraq/Afghanistan vet tag. They give out 5 on each hunt.

Well, an outfitter offered his services to the returning vets. The manager of all of the Oryx hunts put our names in a hat and drew.... GUESS WHO WON. :wave:

I was confident already going into this hunt, but now I have a free guide that knows where to go, how to identify mature Oryx and I am sure he will pay off in other ways too....

Im hitting steel out to 500 yards in solid groups, but being a bow hunter by trade (guide is too) we are hoping for 200 yard or less shots.

I cannot wait.

18. jawesome357

Oct 31, 2013
    The only OC
    Dude! This is going to be awesome for you! I hope we get to see some trophy pics and hero shots!

19. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013

Im so excited!
    This is going to be a GREAT TIME :eek::

20. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Trailer is packed, we have enough food to feed an army (with a great menu), beer is cold, and the gun is ready...

I just need to make it through work tomorrow and then it's GAME ON!!!

I am losing my mind.