Iccyman001's 2015 journal

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by iccyman001, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Sooner

Sooner New Member

Sep 21, 2015
    It's my first year but have several mature deer on camera there. All nocturnal movement so far. I see booner rattlesnakes every time I go though! Ready for some cold weather for sure.

2. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Well all, I am back and this was an experience indeed.

I have only hunted two early bow seasons and one of them was only 1 day, so I am still extremely green.
    This trip was my first rifle hunt experience and we will dub this the helper hunt, 2015.

Originally this was suppose to just be a father (with the tag), two sons and myself, but in the last few days we picked up an addition.

I have two personal friends who both have a mutual friend. This mutual friend had a rifle tag transferred to him a few days before the trip and he had never elk hunted before. They asked if I would take him and I agreed.

We got up to camp Friday morning and set up, then talked game plans. I took the guys to overlook a really cool spot in the evening and we just listened for bugles... NOTHING, but we had a great view.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So quick backstory. In thus unit Sept 1-22 is first and second archery. Following that any legal weapon bear season opens and they can run dogs.
    Sure enough it really pushed the elk around..

Well opening day happens. I had given a recommendation to the new addition to camp and he went out that way. He went to a spot that he liked and within the first 56 minutes of his first ever elk hunt.... BOOM.

[​IMG]

He shot a herd bull that had 9 cows. He is a little scrapper of a 6x6 with messed up ears and he had a cool hollow pocket in his main beam.
    This guy was PUMPED.

Well, I took the family out to a killer spot that I had good encounters with earlier during my hunt. We didn't hear anything, but we got into a good 5x5 bull and some cows. No shot opportunities, but it was a GREAT first experience.

I dropped the family off at a wallow and ran to help the guy who had shot the cow.

We quartered it, capped it and removed the head.

I got back to camp, whipped up some lunch and kind of vegged out. At 4:30 I randomly had this fire hit me and I had this feeling about a random area.
    I made them get packed up and we went to go, but we ran into an issue. MY CALLS WERE IN MY TRUCK, which I let the other guy use to bring his elk to the taxi/butcher. I ran to my hunting gear and I was lucky enough to find a brand new call. I grabbed it and we went down the road.

When we got out of the truck and started getting prepared I heard something that sounded like a bugle and so did the oldest son.
    It was only 5:15pm, but it was in the area I wanted to check out.

We walked up this road, but the wind was crappy..... after checking and moving a bunch, the wind was finally in my face.
    I let out a mew and BOOM........ we got his with a bugle. The boys and the dads faces light up as they grinned from ear to ear. We had the boys drop back and dad and I put in a stalk. It was a very thick area and we didn't want 4 people moving. I figured he was 150 yards away.

This is what happened to start our stalk...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j99QoAxCTc[/ame]

We started in close and closer. I had this guy screaming his head off. bugles, chuckles, and a moan! (wicked cool and we will discuss this moan later)
    Anyways, my goal was to get set up to call this guy in, but it was SO thick. We kept moving close and closer. Every section we got into that was closer to him offered like 7 yard shots if I would have called him in. We finally hit an opening that was about 20 yards (radius).
    This is when it got interesting. We were sitting there and all of a sudden we saw it. He turned his head...... he was 35 yards away looking in our direction. He didn't see us, but he saw movement and didn't like it. Guys, this was the biggest elk I have ever seen in the woods and bigger than any elk I ever caught on any of my cameras.... SLOB!!!!

Now is where it all gets silly and creative. My buddy started LOSING HIS MIND. The bull ran a few yards into some thick acorn brush and I start calling again. He slows down and this is where I was able to use the situation to my advantage. I noticed a few cows with him and it seemed like he was starting to round them up. I dropped back a little and started lost calf calling. Sure enough.... he came right back.

So my buddy is running back and forth trying to find a tree to prop up on..... "RICKY, STOP MOVING, HE'S ONLY 30 YARDS AWAY!!!! SHOOT!!!!"
    I keep telling him to stand still next to me and shoot. He just keep running around like a fool.... while he was doing that the giant bull stood in front of me broadside.... twice :crazy:

They ended up walking off, but MAN WAS THAT SUCH A CRAZY RUSH....... think it's done? Nope....

We moved in closer trying to set up again and he was quiet now. No response to a cow call, so I tried something different.
    I bugled..... nothing....

Well, I started lost calf calling again and I walked back 30 yards. I start racking like crazy as I was throwing cow calls around and then ripped another bugle at the end of my racking (without my tube because I forgot it wight he boys) and the bull screamed at me like no other.....

He just didn't come back in though

ANYWAYS.... amazing AMAZING AMAZING experience.

The rest of the trip was searching searching searching...... those elk are in deep thanks to those bear hunters.
    I had to leave today, but my buddy is still out there with some great spots to hunt.

I had a ball and I gave it my all to make sure they had a good time.

Any time in the woods is well worth it....

3. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    You'll get them!!! Nov 8th to 16th are great dates out there!!!!

Good luck to you. I'll be out there Nov 6th until the 23rd. :eek::

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  4. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Well, I was bored and anxious yesterday, so I made a blitz out to Oklahoma to check my cameras.

I cant hunt it until Nov because I am helping someone on a mule deer hunt this weekend and then I have a NM mule deer hunt the following weekend.

It's a good thing I went out there. My honey hole camera wasn't even turned on :mad: and I had to move another.

4 spots are littered with does though and that pumps me up for November :eek::

I have a good amount of younger deer and a few decent 8s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They wouldn't get passed on out there, but I know there are bigger.

The spot I hunt in Oklahoma also has mule deer and hybrids.

I found me a good one (I've never killed a mule deer before....yet)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's a great mule deer for Oklahoma. He's probably average for mule deer states, but I would not let this guy walk by me.
    He would make a VERY nice euro mount.

The issue is I have is I have whitetail out there that would outscore him :rolleyes:

It'll come down to what will make me the most happy!

5. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    I found a random SD card today and it was from my elk hunt.

I finally went through the pictures and it brought me right back to Sept 9th, the day I killed my bull.
    I figured I would share if with you.

These are cameras I hung around camp for security reasons.

[​IMG]

^ this is a picture of a ford ranger driving by my camp. He had stopped 5 minutes before this right near where I was to let out a "bugle".....
    It sounded like a donkey, but... yeah.... I was glad he left.

At 1935 my bull came in and I put him down.

[​IMG]

^ This was me getting back to camp all amped up. I had to wait for my camp mate to go back and start the retrieval.

[​IMG]

^ here we go!!!!

[​IMG]
    ^ after dragging my elk out of the muddy wallow and water, we decided it would be best for dinner to calm down and then get back to the elk to butcher.

[​IMG]

^ off we go again!

and finally....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ hey, what is that in the bed of my truck? :D

6. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Guess who had a new target show up.
    I need to review pics when I get home, but I think I had run ins with this guy last hear as a 3 or 4 year old.

He was a 125" last year. Give or take a few inches.

Looks like he grew up a bit and added some flavor.

Anyways, I saw 2 small bucks, 12 does and 49 turkeys this weekend.
    I was drawn on the turkeys again at 17 yards, but the hens were surround the big boys.....no clear shot. DANG HENS!!!!

I should have had a doe on the ground, but I made some rookie mistakes.

Oh well, I just need to make it through this weekend and I head up to the mountains for my mule deer hunt and then get amped up for the rut. :eek::

Attached Files:

7. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    What a great elk hunt, that was intense just reading it!

8. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013

Thank you, sir!

I am actually compiling my food shopping list right now for my next trip.

I leave this Friday afternoon for my Northern NM mountain mule deer hunt.
    The terrain is crazy, the weather will be crazy, and people tell me that I am crazy for attempting to hunt this place without a horse..... game on!
    This is a very difficult unit. Last year there were 30 tags sold between two 5 day seasons.... only 1 tag was punched the first hunt and only 3 the second.....
    I am excited to make something happen.

My mule deer hunt is from Oct 31st until Nov 4th.
    Then I come back for a few days and leave again the 6th for Oklahoma.

I am thinking of hunting Oklahoma maybe Nov 6th until...... Nov 20th?
    Should be seeing some hero pictures here soon, hopefully!

Otherwise I will just be posting lots of pictures of beautiful country.

On a good note, the unit I am deer hunting is still open for bears.... which I have a tag for. This will be fun. :eek::

9. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Figured I'd post up some pics to keep it interesting.

No hero pictures yet, but I have a good feeling.

I hiked a total of 12.5 miles yesterday and I'm at 12 right now and still have a 3 mike hike back to my truck.

I'm currently sitting at 10k feet overlooking a draw I'll be sitting on tomorrow. I can see a heard of about 50 elk about 900 yards out.

So far I've seen 15 does.... no bucks.
    Oh well. They are certainly here. .

I won't be leaving won't handed. Check out the matching set of mule deer antlers and the elk antler I found. Woohoo!!!

The country is absolutely beautiful out here and pictures will never justify it. I have lots of camera photos and cell phone photos.
    I found a bull elks play pen yesterday. I've never seen so many rubs in one spot.

Ummmm seen a few eagles, found a spot with 16 piles of fresh bear crap (that is where I'll go if I'm able to tag out a buck)

Other than that it's been me and the mountains. :eek::

Attached Files:

10. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    I was hoping my 400th post would be a teaser picture of a deer, but it's hunting and not every hunt is a guarantee!

This however was one of the most rewarding and peaceful hunts I've been on in a long time.

Solo hunts are my favorite and this was one of my first one in ages.

Spending time in the mountains in some of the most beautiful country makes everything better!

TOTAL DEER SEEN: 57..... DOES. ALL DOES.... :mad::confused:
    They were all in bow range and today I had one in clubbing range....

I treated every encounter as if I had my bow and practiced "drawing" on them.
    So I definitely got some good experience. :eek:: That will pay off for my 2 weeks in Oklahoma.

I actually left a day early from my mule deer hunt. Tomorrow was suppose to be the last day, but it's going to rain all day. So I decided to come home and spend some extra time with my wife. I leave again this Friday for 2 weeks in Oklahoma (whitetail) so she is very happy I came home for the extra time. :wave:

Anyways, I averaged 13 miles a day, found some great treasures, and saw lots of.....does.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_RsScNaIBQ[/ame]

So now I have to clean the trailer, clean my hunting gear, do a food shop, fill up propane, and get ready for my two weeks in Oklahoma!!!!

I feel bad for the first legal animal that steps in front of me out there. After being near so many does and not being able to do anything.....

If I tag out early or put a few animals down in the first week, I'll come back early and save another week for something else!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  12. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    T minus 1 hour and I am on the road for Oklahoma..... 2 weeks.....

Watch out whitetail :wave::eek::

13. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    awesome, buddy, keep us posted. Good luck in OKIE

14. Pointer man

Pointer man Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Washington, MO
    Awesome. I love the country and am jealous of the way you hunt. Beautiful country with so much to offer if you work for it! Good luck with OK and the hunts thereafter...

15. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Camera pull was good.

I have about 7 to 10 mature bucks to go after.

Here are two examples.

I really like the cork screw split g2 buck. You cannot see it, but his other g2 is split too.

I also have a deer that has at a minimum 10" on my big buck that I got last year.....which scored 158....

Needless to say I won't be sleeping.

Attached Files:

16. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    This is just a brief update. Full stories will come later.

I have one doe down and have had plenty of action. (Passed on a few decent bucks 90-110" bucks)
    I messed up big time today with a good buck.

I hunt in natural ground blinds that I make and use a little hunting folding chair.
    It's one of those metal framed seats with the canvas seat portion. Well, they can be a little squeaky.

I had to get up to pee today and a tiny squeak came out from my chair and stopped this buck 40 yards away. Instead of coming into me for a 20 yard broadside shot, he waked behind a cedar tree and went another way....

Here is the buck...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JvZRsSOGqk[/ame]

I still have until next Thursday off and then head back out for 3 days after Thanksgiving!

I LOVE HUNTING

17. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Wow...you've been busy. GREAT journal!!!

18. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Thanks Archer!

It's been a good year :eek:: and we are just getting started.