Iccyman001's 2015 journal

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by iccyman001, Jul 7, 2015.

1. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Welcome to my 2015 journal!

2014 was a fantastic year and my goal will be to somehow top it!
    For starts, last year was only my second year every bow hunting and I was able to shoot 3 nice animals with it.

A quick snapshot of my 2014 season:

I went on my first elk hunt ever and with my bow, I shot this spike opening day :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then last year was my first year hunting whitetail in Oklahoma. I hunt public land out there and poured my heart and soul into scouting that area.
    Well it paid off.

I shot two nice public land bucks. To make these bucks even more of a treat, I shot them both from the ground in homemade ground blinds. That was a first.

The first one I shot while he was hot on a doe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and I hear you guys REALLY like deer pictures in the beds of truck so....

[​IMG]

Buck #2 was so much more of a great story though and will probably be one of my neatest experiences ever.

I first found this buck in July while I was out scouting.
    Over the next couple months I slowly got him patterned and narrowed him down to a small area.

Finally in late November I was able to seal the deal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more coming.....

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  2. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Well, on Nov 28th, after helping my FIL hang christmas lights, I drove from NM to OK and only had 45 minutes left of legal shooting light.

I wanted to check a camera so I could see if I wanted to hunt that spot the next day, so without even changing, I unhitched my trailer and went directly to my spot.

After I checked my camera and decided I would hunt it the next day, I decided to sit until legal hours were over.

Not 5 minutes later I saw a deer coming up to me.
    After a better look I saw large tines and got antsy.....

After an even better look I saw the bent brow tine and almost puked because I knew it was my buck.

Well.... I will let this picture sequence tell the story.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In final shooting minutes I dropped the biggest buck of my life, my target buck, my dream buck.... IN BLUE JEANS AND A WHITE T SHIRT :confused:

It was the most amazing experience of my life.
    [​IMG]

The buck green scored 162", but after his 60 day drying period he officially score (P&Y) 158 ⅛ gross and 156 ⅞ net.

Not to mention he was one of the top 5 archery bucks taken in Oklahoma in 2014.

So, as you can see..... 2014 was a GREAT YEAR!

http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180633

(2014 journal ^)

But now lets talk about why 2015 will be better :eek::

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015

3. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    So this year I am already lining up some GREAT things.

I drew a NM elk hunt, a NM mule deer hunt, a NM Oryx hunt, and I have Oklahoma.

I am 55 days out from my NM elk hunt and I am so excited.
    It's the same unit I hunted last year and I am scouting like crazy.
    I have 3 cameras out there and it'll pay off dividends in the long run.

I already pulled my cameras once and I had over 100 elk on camera.....
    here are some notable bulls early in horn growth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My next card pull will be around the 18th of this month and I can't wait to see all the inches they have added.
    I mentioned I had over 100 elk on my camera and half of them were bulls, so I should have a VERY good chance at shooting a better elk this year.

I will tell you though, elk is tasty and I will not pass up a fat cow or another spike. It's a 14 day hunt so the first few days I will probably be picky, but then it's game on.

It's nice filling the freezer with a few hundred lbs of elk too because then I can be picky when I am deer hunting. I can be more of a rack hunter then.

So after my elk hunt I drew a fantastic mule deer hunt up in a beautiful part of NM. It's very well known for it's monster mule deer and I can't wait to get my hands on one. That is a rifle hunt, so my .270 is very happy to go for a trip!!!!

Oklahoma whitetail opens Oct1-15th January, so I am just counting down the days for that too.

I have some nice deer that I passed up last year that should explode this year.

Something I should mention, all of the areas I am hunting this year have FARLY exceeded their annual rain fall averages for about 5 months in a row. So there will be some great growth this year.

FINALLY, I drew a once in a lifetime hunt in NM.....an Oryx hunt.
    For those not familiar with an oryx.....

[​IMG]

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am for this hunt.

It's some of the best meat I have ever had in my life and they are such beautiful animals. It would make a great addition to my freezer and my wall ;)

So as you can see, I had a great 2014, but with my 2015 line up, I may just be able to top it:D

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy.

4. mdaniel723

mdaniel723 Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Sounds like an awesome season lining up

5. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    I am T minus 36 days until phase one of my awesome year begins and that's my ELK HUNT.

Some pictures from todays card pull!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had over 800 pictures of elk from 3 different cameras. They only sat out there for a month. These are some of the bigger guys, but I still had plenty of smaller shooters. IT WILL BE A GOOD YEAR:eek::

7. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    How high up do you have your camera for those higher pics?

Do you have issues with the elk changing terrain from when you get the pics until the time your able to hunt ?
    I've heard onyx is some incredible eats! What would you compare it too?

Awesome Journal! I wish you luck! Stay Safe!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  8. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    My highest two would be my water hole and this draw.

The water hole camera is about 22 feet

[​IMG]

and the draw is about 15 feet

[​IMG]

The rest are usually around 4-8 feet. I don't want the bears to get a hold of them :wave:

As for the elk movement, my hunt is first hunt of the year and early season. (Sept 1-14th)
    So I will get at least 4-5 days of them sticking to their summer patterns.

Then I have two factors that will start kicking in: potential hunting pressure and the rut getting ready to heat up/heating up.

Which I can handle both of those. The area I am hunting is fairly low key, so that's good. I also I know where the cows are bedding and where they travel. So if I need to start setting up there, then I can.

As for oryx, I can't even compare it to anything. I know that doesn't help one bit, but it's the greatest thing I've ever eaten in my life.

That's compared to elk, moose, whitetail, mule deer, etc.... not to mention I would place it well above top notch beef.

Thank you for following! I have a big year planned, I just hope I can bring it all together.

9. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    This is awesome!!! Do you stay on site? Camp near your hunting grounds? Do you normally hunt off the ground? Spot/call/stock? Is there ever a use for a climbing stand or staying in one place over a trail or other sign?

10. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    The area I hunt is all national forest, so you can pretty much camp or sleep anywhere. Last year I actually killed my elk 350 yards from my trailer!!!! :eek:

I grew up in the east so a climber is my best friend, so when I moved out west I brought some eastern with me. You absolutely can hunt with a climber.
    Water holes, wallows, or high travel routes are great for it. I search for the same things I do for whitetail...food, bedding, water, where their ladies stay and their routes too and from.

For me though, I do it all.

This year I have lots of options in my bag:
    - I have lots of hot spots and high travel areas
    - Hot water holes
    - Some great cold call sequences that will certainly call something in. (This area has a higher bull to cow ratio....so cow calls will do well ;) )
    - And I am just ready to be aggressive

It's only a 14 day hunt, but with the amount of elk out there, the amount of time i've put in, and more, I will make this year a successful one. :eek::

11. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Ran back up to the mountains this weekend to do some more scouting!
    The big 6x6 bull that I have been keeping tabs on is still running around the tiny area I have him pegged in.

He also hit my water hole during shooting hours 2 days ago :mad:

I just hope he makes this same move in 30 days.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    I hope it's at daylight! !looks like you have done all the hard work my friend. You shall be awarded. No doubt!

13. Fuldraw

Fuldraw Fuldraw

Dec 8, 2013
    Sounds like a blast.Good luck .

14. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Thank you!

This should be a great year. The best part is I have anywhere from 6-10 different bulls that I've been watching that would not get passed up. I just really want that big one.

My other cameras are getting active daylight pictures from noon until dark, so it will be hard to let these guys walk by.

[​IMG]

Towards the end of my hunt though, if nothing is down it'll be open season on anything, but calves or mamas with calves. Elk in the freezer is a great thing, because then I can be MUCH more picky with my whitetail hunts.

15. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Travel Safe & Be Safe!! Its great following your thread! Thanks for sharing!!! Those pics are awesome! ! Is it possible to video or go pro your hunt or are u going solo??

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  16. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    WBF,

I am going to try to record my hunt. I am bringing my go pro and my nice dslr.
    Everytime I tell myself I am going to record something I back out last second.

I'll have my stuff all set up, see the animal, and then want to go right into kill mode verse turn on the camera mode. :eek:
    This year I will make a better effort at turning it all on.

I am also taking two other guys on their first elk hunt. So if I tag out, I plan on helping them as much as I can and recording their hunts. :eek::

17. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    I'm starting to get pretty antsy.

I am 21 days away from driving up to the mountains and 23 days away from season opener.

All I think about is elk bugling.....

To make it worse I know that once I am done with my elk hunt, it's an immediate focus shift to whitetail, and that too drives me nuts :D

I don't even know how I sleep. :eek:

18. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    I just got back from my final scouting trip before the elk season.
    Only 16 days!!!!!!!!

It was a great trip. I have some monster bulls that are hitting my waterhole at the tail end of shooting light, plus tons of other great and smaller bulls, cows, and such.

Here are some pictures :wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]