Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this weekend was a bust as far as turkey killing went with my grandaughter. Yesterday morning we heard as many gobbles as I think I have ever heard in 40 years of turkey hunting. But we also heard dang near as many hen yelps and clucks and cutting between us and the Toms.:mad2: I truly wish I had had a tape recorder. We had no Toms work us yesterday. Had a lot of gobbles in answer to calls but none worked our way. Heard our last gobble at 11:15. We did however see 13 deer yesterday. Now to this morning. Very few gobbles this morning but did hear quite a bit of hen activity.:mad2: Had one Tom down south of us that did gobble for most of the morning and we tried a sneak on him at about 10:30 and were successful but he was with 15 hens and the hens weren't having any of us no matter what. They drug him off to parts unknown. Was a good experience for my grandaughter as she had never done this before. Her first lesson in moving through the woods quietly. Again today we saw lots of deer, 27 as a matter of fact. Saw more deer this weekend than I did all last deer season.:roll2: All in all a really good weekend even though we didn't get her a turkey. Definitely some good memories for me and hopefully my grandaughter. Did I mention it was cold yesterday morning.:eek:

Jack

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Always nice to get out with the youth, especially when they're your relatives ey Jack...

Good times....

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by 8 point
You reckon we can talkem into changing it :rotfl: 8 point.
I wish we could. These deer were all dumb and just stood there looking at our decoys for the longest time. In bow range too.:eek:

Jack

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Seems to be the same way for me Jack!
But hopefully that all changes for turkey season...

But, I'm sure you had a lot of fun with your grand daughter, and I'm sure she had a blast too!!
:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
Glad you got that quality time with her Jack and also glad your teaching her to carry on the family tradition of being a hunter.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
sounds like a great time for both of you jack. now if your like me take her out during deer season and show her all the turkeys.:D

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I have to say she is one cool kid for only being 11 years old.:cool: We shared and had a lot of laughs those two days. Might be another reason we didn't see any turkyes. Too much noise from the blind.:hysterical:

Jack

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
What a experience she had Jack. Way to go........:cheers:

·
19,585 Posts
Originally posted by peach
I do believe your grandaughter had a very good time and loves going with you and staying at your house. She thinks you are very cool despite what I tell her.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sorry to hear y'all didn't bring a turkey home ~ but hey, you didn't go home empty-handed. You both brought home some special memories.

Sounds like you two had a great time, too... :cheers:

·
Registered
903 Posts
Originally posted by JackJr

I wish we could. These deer were all dumb and just stood there looking at our decoys for the longest time. In bow range too.:eek:

Jack
Come deer season, you'll have turkeys trying to roost in your treestand with ya. Always seems to be the way it goes.:roll2:

Congrats on a beautiful weekend in the woods with your grandaughter!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Sounds like you had a very enjoyable time. I kind of wish I would of had some one in my family that could of taken me on hunting trips whe I was young and growing up. My dad took me fishing once in a while, but he really didn't fish much. I was 22 when I started hunting. The person who got me intrested in hunting does not hunt anymore. He is to busy with his company. Poor guy works 7 days a week!

·
5,632 Posts
Originally posted by droptine
Come deer season, you'll have turkeys trying to roost in your treestand with ya. Always seems to be the way it goes.:roll2:
Ain't that the truth! :banghead:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.