I Wish It Had Been Deer Season This Weekend!!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by JackJr, Apr 9, 2006.

1. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Well this weekend was a bust as far as turkey killing went with my grandaughter. Yesterday morning we heard as many gobbles as I think I have ever heard in 40 years of turkey hunting. But we also heard dang near as many hen yelps and clucks and cutting between us and the Toms.:mad2: I truly wish I had had a tape recorder. We had no Toms work us yesterday. Had a lot of gobbles in answer to calls but none worked our way. Heard our last gobble at 11:15. We did however see 13 deer yesterday. Now to this morning. Very few gobbles this morning but did hear quite a bit of hen activity.:mad2: Had one Tom down south of us that did gobble for most of the morning and we tried a sneak on him at about 10:30 and were successful but he was with 15 hens and the hens weren't having any of us no matter what. They drug him off to parts unknown. Was a good experience for my grandaughter as she had never done this before. Her first lesson in moving through the woods quietly. Again today we saw lots of deer, 27 as a matter of fact. Saw more deer this weekend than I did all last deer season.:roll2: All in all a really good weekend even though we didn't get her a turkey. Definitely some good memories for me and hopefully my grandaughter. Did I mention it was cold yesterday morning.:eek:

Jack

2. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Always nice to get out with the youth, especially when they're your relatives ey Jack...

Good times....

3. 8 point

8 point New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    SW MO
    You reckon we can talkem into changing it :rotfl: 8 point.

4. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    I wish we could. These deer were all dumb and just stood there looking at our decoys for the longest time. In bow range too.:eek:

Jack

5. 8 point

8 point New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    SW MO
    :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:Yea thats my luck to . Come deer season you wont find them standing on ever conner. 8 point.

6. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Seems to be the same way for me Jack!
    But hopefully that all changes for turkey season...

But, I'm sure you had a lot of fun with your grand daughter, and I'm sure she had a blast too!!
    :cheers::cheers:

7. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    Glad you got that quality time with her Jack and also glad your teaching her to carry on the family tradition of being a hunter.

8. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Any time in the woods with Grandpa is a great memory!

9. peach

peach New Member

Mar 8, 2006
    I do believe your grandaughter had a very good time and loves going with you and staying at your house. She thinks you are very cool despite what I tell her.;)

10. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    sounds like a great time for both of you jack. now if your like me take her out during deer season and show her all the turkeys.:D

11. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Well I have to say she is one cool kid for only being 11 years old.:cool: We shared and had a lot of laughs those two days. Might be another reason we didn't see any turkyes. Too much noise from the blind.:hysterical:

Jack

12. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    What a experience she had Jack. Way to go........:cheers:

13. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sorry to hear y'all didn't bring a turkey home ~ but hey, you didn't go home empty-handed. You both brought home some special memories.

Sounds like you two had a great time, too... :cheers:

14. droptine

droptine New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Jeff City
    Come deer season, you'll have turkeys trying to roost in your treestand with ya. Always seems to be the way it goes.:roll2:

Congrats on a beautiful weekend in the woods with your grandaughter!

15. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    Sounds like you had a very enjoyable time. I kind of wish I would of had some one in my family that could of taken me on hunting trips whe I was young and growing up. My dad took me fishing once in a while, but he really didn't fish much. I was 22 when I started hunting. The person who got me intrested in hunting does not hunt anymore. He is to busy with his company. Poor guy works 7 days a week!

16. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Ain't that the truth! :banghead: