Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, I wanna get out there this weekend or next and see if I can't put one in the crosshairs. I haven't chased them since last spring and I want to increase my chances. It took me a lot of time and driving a lot of miles to find sign last year.

Anyone out there feel like puttin' a guy on the right track? Even better if one of our MWT brothers would like to share this hunt with me. I'll bring the liquid refreshments and a victory ceegar for after the hunt.

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Its gonna be a bit before i have any time off. Ill be headed to Wapapello the weekend of the 16th of January. Prolly wont be able to hunt any pigs, but i will sure be glad to put you on a few spots to get you started. If that weekend works for you, great, if not ill be glad to shoot you a u2u with directions to some spots.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chad you need to quit with all this gainful employment BS and become a listless bum able to hog hunt on demand.

Iffin' nobody else steps forward afore tomorrow, I suppose I'll just hafta take some directions to tha super-duper sekret spot and find 'er on a map.

I got my deer waaaaay back in October, and I've been doing a lot of sitting around in the woods watching squirrels play with their nuts ever since. I'm gettin the bloodlust pretty bad, and on top of it the freezer is looking pretty bare right now.

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Originally posted by kevthebassman
Chad you need to quit with all this gainful employment BS and become a listless bum able to hog hunt on demand.

Iffin' nobody else steps forward afore tomorrow, I suppose I'll just hafta take some directions to tha super-duper sekret spot and find 'er on a map.

I got my deer waaaaay back in October, and I've been doing a lot of sitting around in the woods watching squirrels play with their nuts ever since. I'm gettin the bloodlust pretty bad, and on top of it the freezer is looking pretty bare right now.
Ill be glad to fix you up. May be able to even put it on a map for ya. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd sure appreciate it. I never did find sign down south. I wasn't looking forward to driving out to Osceola from Eureka just to find hog sign.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, beats sittin' on the couch. Anything to give me an excuse to walk around in the woods with a gun.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chad I just spent my 2nd weekend down there, found plenty sign but no hogs just yet. Imma give you a call later on after my nap. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brand new to the site.

I own a land management company up here in Minnesota and I will be working on a waterfowl project near St. Louis next week...short notice.

But I am interested in trying for a feral pig if possible. In MO or another state near by is fine as well...even a trip down to Arkansas would be considered.

I own several hundred acres of land in central Minnesota that I can trade some hunting for...come up for some pheasant, early waterfowl, whitetail...or even some fishing. I also own the bait store in town on big Lake Minnewaska with fish house rentals...can set you up on panfish and walleye if you would like to venture out on the ice for an experience. We have sleepers so you can stay over night a listen to the ice crack!

Give me an email at [email protected]

Kyle

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Originally posted by LandDr
Brand new to the site.

I own a land management company up here in Minnesota and I will be working on a waterfowl project near St. Louis next week...short notice.

But I am interested in trying for a feral pig if possible. In MO or another state near by is fine as well...even a trip down to Arkansas would be considered.

I own several hundred acres of land in central Minnesota that I can trade some hunting for...come up for some pheasant, early waterfowl, whitetail...or even some fishing. I also own the bait store in town on big Lake Minnewaska with fish house rentals...can set you up on panfish and walleye if you would like to venture out on the ice for an experience. We have sleepers so you can stay over night a listen to the ice crack!

Give me an email at [email protected]

Kyle
Welcome aboard, good to have another Minnesotan to help me out:D

:welcome:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks!

Ever heading up this way and need something...just let me know.

We have great ice fishing going on right now and the ice is in great shape. This week should be in the 20s to 30s but this weekend will get down to 5 to 10. At least it isn't any more of the minus 25 crap we had last week.

Thanks again.

Kyle, PLM

·
Registered
651 Posts
I will show you the exact spot to put your bait. Just call me and I will take you and hour from Park Hills Mo. I can"t cut it physically anymore so the rest will be up to you.:cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
For some reason I could not get loged back into this web site. I asked for a new login which it said it was going to send in an email...but didn't get it. I kept trying yesterday (back in MN) and finally got a new password and it worked. I was able to post in on another MO hunting forum and below are copies of my posts while I was down in MO.

"Bear"...I tried sending you some emails but still could not get ahold of you and I did not have your phone number to call. I estimated you were around the Council Bluffs area but not sure. I even drove around Park Hills to see if I could find some amo place or bait shop that might know you...just could not locate you. Really appreciate the offer and would have enjoyed meeting up with ya...next time! Here are my posts from the other forum....

posted on 1-19-2009 at 09:08 AM

Thanks guys...appreciate the posts and help.

This week it should be in the 20s and low 30s but then down to 5 to 10 for the weekend...I hope the warm weather holds out through the weekend. (warm is relivant of course :) ) At least it isn't any of that minus 25 crap that we have had over last week.

I am located right in central MN...put your finger right in the middle and that is pretty close.

Bears everywhere up north. Harvest success has been really good. I have some college roommates from the Baudette...went once and really didn't like the idea of walking into the stand in the dark and walking back out in the dark...I felt like a walking meal plan!

Ice fishing has been great! We have really good ice but the snow has kept some houses off the lake. We usually have around 700 houses on Minnewaska but probably only 300 to 400 right now. I love sleeping over on the ice and nothing better than the rattle reels going off in the middle of the night to pull up a nice walleye!

JJ...I am leaving tomorrow morning. I don't have to start on the waterfowl project until Wednesday morning so I can leave early to get in an afternoon and evening hunt for Tuesday. Depending on how the project goes, I should be able to have all of Thursday and Friday morning...head back Friday late morning or afternoon.

It would be great to harvest one...but I understand the circumstances. It is called hunting...not gathering. I take a lot of people hunting when they come around my area and it is more about meeting other people, seeing different areas...and maybe taking some game home. Through my work, I have people all around the US that want me to come to their place and hunt with them after they have planted their duck ponds or deer/pheasant/turkey food plots and habitat, etc. I like to return the opportunity and take people out when I can as well.

Thanks for the posts and help. JJ...surely appreciate it. Let me know if these times work out.

Kyle, PLM

posted on 1-21-2009 at 07:44 PM

Update on my MO Hog Hunt excursion...

I received an email on another hunt forum from a "Bear" that said he had a good spot for me an hour from Park Hills...but he did not leave his number so I can't reach him.

From researching some of his previous posts and other posts to him...I think his spot might be somewhere around Council Bluffs Lake in Iron Co. I have heard the MDC has hit the hogs pretty hard...BUT...they seem to be in the same class as ****roaches and coyotes...just never going to get rid of them all. So I am a little more optomistic that I might find one.

Down in Poplar Bluffs tonight and spoke with some of the locals...seems to be a lot of "Minnesota nice" down here as everyone has been very helpful. So far the trip has been a great time just seeing new ground and running into helpful people.

Locals tell me to head up around Wappapello Lake and gave me some pretty specific directions. They tell me they were hunted down pretty hard a couple of years ago but no one has really gone after them for the last year or two so the population could be on the rise again. That is a positive report as well.

I have reviewed aerial photos and picked out some drainages off fields and travel lanes to and from drainages and lakes. I am going to put some miles on tomorrow and will let you know what I come up with. AS recommended...I will go slow and watch my wind. Not a lot different than hunting deer I guess and I spend close to 20 days or more a year doing that.

No rookie here...just have to think like a pig! :)

Ha...what the heck does a pig think about? Probably just a typical male...eat, sleep and get a little when ya can. :)

Later

Kyle, LandDr

posted on 1-26-2009 at 01:12 PM

Well...headed out Thursday morning nice and early. Went to the last parking area at the end of CR 507 in University Woods north of Poplar Bluffs. Land actually does not look much different than the southern part of the county in Minnesota that I live in...it is heavily glaciated with the rolling hills, draws and creek bottoms. Just like home...except a heck of a lot warmer! Negative 10 this morning and we are at negative 3 right now.

Anyway, I had reviewed the aerial photo and target the open fields and edges along Asher Creek...headed up stream and planned to go all the way up to the private farm place to the NW.

Some deer tracks to start but it was an absolutely beautiful morning to be out. I just kept thinking or hoping that I would not run into some confederate guy that didn't know the civil war was over (smile).

At the very north end of the second open field I picked up a heavily used trail that went from the field (now plowed) back into some thicker green vegetation (looks like some kind of cane) in the creek bottom. I made my way slowly down that trail eyes pealed and ears open. I caught sound of something moving through the bottom on the other side of the creek. As slow as I could I moved towards it until I got to the edge of the creek. It was still moving around on the other side from east to west. I had run into several squirrels along the way and this was definately bigger than a squirrel...but seemed too small to be a deer...maybe in the 100 to 120 lb. range by the sound of how it was moving leaves and twigs.

The cover was just too thick to see if but it was slowly moving to the west of me now. So I shimmied down the creek bank and crossed to the other side to stay down wind and to try to get a look. It was moving a little faster now but I tried to keep up. With having to move faster now as well, I was making too much noise and it got too far out ahead of me and I lost it. I probably should have moved back out and tried to come around to the west to cut it off...but I didn't know the lay of the land well enough to know that there was a pinch point ahead of me that I could have easily set up on.

There were too many leaves to see any tracks but I did see some turned up leaves...not a lot but a little. Even though I did not see the critter, I think it might have been a small hog by himself.

I made my way around the next field which was a little smaller. No tracks to speak of in the field but I found a set of hog tracks in a little muddy spot on the back side of a round bale set up in the NW corner of the field that blocks the trail going up into the woods. I followed them up the trail but lost them when they went into the woods. I went quite a ways up and then came back down another ravine towards the creek. No turned up leaves.

I followed the horse trail west for quite a ways until I came to a dry creek...and there was another set of tracks along with some freshly chewed vegetation. I followed those west along the trail that went along the woods. This trail overlooks are beautiful grassy field with what looks like a selective harvest spot at the bottom that has 2 or 3 year old poppal. I seen three does just ahead of me feeding...walking into the wind I got within 50 yards of them and probably could have gotten closer...but I was looking for pigs not deer. So I kept following the pig tracks...deer seen me and ran south a few yards. I followed these tracks all the way around the trail the west and to another creek bottom that flows adjacent to the private pasture field with cattle in it. The tracks went north into the woods which I could not track any more. I walked north to what looks like a thicker area up from the creek bottom that also has a good view into the woods to the east where the tracks went. So I sat on a log for awhile and just listened and watched.

Seeing nothing for about an hour and at the end of following Asher Creek, I headed back. Found a turtle shell...pretty cool and it looked like a "land turtle". I think we only have one land turtle up here and it is rare. (I later looked up Turtles of MO and found that it is probably a box turtle which are pretty common from what I read).

The walk back was pretty uneventful. I walked the Asher Creek bottom most of the way weaving in and out of the floodplain but just seen deer tracks.

By the way...there is a REALLY nice buck track back on the trail over looking that grassy field. By the size of the track and impression, I would say that it is a 4 or 5 year old...10 or 12 point or better? These are great fields...are they privately owned and planted or are they public fields planted by an area farmer? I would love to put designs together for those fields! Beautiful area but food is severely the limiting factor to attract and hold wildlife.

I then headed up to Council Bluffs to check the forest area around there as the reports were saying to check around Hwy 32, Bixby, why 49, etc.

I came across 32, down 49 and back up some road. Took a turn off on a gravel road (69 I believe) and went way back in until I ran into some mining land with a big warning sign. Some MO boys in hard hats told me to turn around so I listened. (smile)

My final conclusion on that Council Bluffs area...God forsaken land! If someone needed to fall off the earth and never be found again...that would be the place to go!

I stayed in the truck. Since nothing looked as nice of a walk as the University Woods and the sun was setting on my MO hog hunt, I decided to head back up to St. Louis to get a hotel and get ready for some final work in the morning before I head back to the deep-freeze (aka MN).

It was fun...I will be back. Maybe next time I can meet up with some MO folks that want to head out in the field with me. I would have liked to meet up with the Jesusjunky and that "Bear" guy as they seem we are made of the same clothe. Jesusjunky...what town do you live in?

Well...I think I am going to close up the store early today and head out for some ice fishing. I know I can catch fish at least since I won't be eating pork.

Kyle

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was posting on that site as well and did have some communication with JJ...I just could not stay in MO until Sat. when he was heading out. Needed to head back on Friday...believe me I wanted to stay!

Next time I am heading down I will give everyone a post again to see if anyone is up for hitting the woods.

Take care!

Kyle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts