Votes: 80 97.6%
  • I onle use backstraps & back hams

Votes: 2 2.4%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
just a no body
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife was processing a couple of front shoulders etc that were left over. The shooter only took the back straps & back 1/4s of the two Does he shot. We were looking at the amount of meat that was just left "hanging". For whatever reason after all these years this time it really opened our eyes to how much is really available i guess because it was all sitting there alone and not mixed in with the other meat . The wife asked me to do a poll to see how many people use the front shoulders, neck etc vs how many just take the back straps/back 1/4s and call it good

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
If I keep one ,. Heck yes we use the front 1/4s. Even fawns we would trim them and bake them whole.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Wasteful not to use it. My granny would kick my rear for not getting every scrap of usable meat I could.

·
Registered
32,779 Posts
We use front shoulders and neck meat. Makes good grinding meat

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
It depends. Yesterday afternoon I shot a doe through both shoulders w/a 7 mag. Did not keep anything from either shoulder. They were both shot up and had 2-3" diameter wound channels and bone shrapnel through out. Honestly shoulder shots are my preferred targets even though it generally causes a lot of lost shoulder meat as it almost always results in DRT deer. IMO the advantages of that shot in easily recovered deer out weighs the lost shoulder(s).

So I guess to answer your question it depends. :D

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,473 Posts
It depends. Yesterday afternoon I shot a doe through both shoulders w/a 7 mag. Did not keep anything from either shoulder. They were both shot up and had 2-3" diameter wound channels and bone shrapnel through out. Honestly shoulder shots are my preferred targets even though it generally causes a lot of lost shoulder meat as it almost always results in DRT deer. IMO the advantages of that shot in easily recovered deer out weighs the lost shoulder(s).

So I guess to answer your question it depends. :D
That's why I like the neck shot inside of 100 yds. Drops em like a sack of taters & doesn't tear anything up.

·
Registered
19,686 Posts
We had some shoulder last weekend. Take the shoulder and lower leg and place it in an aluminum baking pan. Cover entire shoulder with V8 juice--wrap the top/cover in foil then place in oven at low setting around 170. Let it bake low temp nice and slow (depending on size ) 8-10 hrs. Once you remove it from the oven you should be able to shake the meat off the bone . Remove all the meat from the bone and discard V8 juice. Put shoulder meat in crock pot and add your favorite BBQ sauce. Better than or just as good as pulled pork....

·
Registered
13,802 Posts
It's good for chili meat, but I'm not a real fan of the stuff. Still, it makes good stuff for chili, jerky, etc.

·
8,861 Posts
We had some shoulder last weekend. Take the shoulder and lower leg and place it in an aluminum baking pan. Cover entire shoulder with V8 juice--wrap the top/cover in foil then place in oven at low setting around 170. Let it bake low temp nice and slow (depending on size ) 8-10 hrs. Once you remove it from the oven you should be able to shake the meat off the bone . Remove all the meat from the bone and discard V8 juice. Put shoulder meat in crock pot and add your favorite BBQ sauce. Better than or just as good as pulled pork....
Man, wherever you eat pulled pork must really suck.:wave:

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
It's hard to beat a whole shoulder done right...basically just like you would a pork butt. Lay some strips of bacon on top of it and let that fat soak in! I would much rather have a smoked shoulder than a strap steak anyday, straps make good jerky.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.