I now its late to plant but

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by buckbuster, Nov 1, 2010.

1. buckbuster

buckbuster Active Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toas, Mo
    Has any one ever planted peas for food plots? are they had to grow? Any special advice? Im sure you plant in the fall.
    brad

2. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    I got some austrian winter peas growing right now along with wheat. They are doing great getting alot of grazing

3. Hannibal Bowhunter

Hannibal Bowhunter Active Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Hannibal, MO
    [rquote=1874266&tid=130552&author=buckbuster]Has any one ever planted peas for food plots? are they had to grow? Any special advice? Im sure you plant in the fall.
    brad[/rquote]

They are very easy to plant. I broadcast onto killed sod with a mix of cereal rye, oats, and clover. The deer will absolutely kill the peas first. I have never had them get tall enough to put on any pods. I usually use 30 -40 lbs of peas per acre with that mix and shoot for right around labor day for planting.

4. buckbuster

buckbuster Active Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toas, Mo
    plan in the fall?

5. Hannibal Bowhunter

Hannibal Bowhunter Active Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Hannibal, MO
    [rquote=1874312&tid=130552&author=buckbuster]plan in the fall?
    [/rquote]

I usually shoot for a Labor Day planting.

6. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    We planted a mix that had peas, rape, turnip, wheat, and clover in it the middle of august and everything came up great. The wheat is a bit too tall for my liking, but everything else is looking really good.