Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to waterfowl hunting and I'm wondering how many decoys I need, what species, what size shot, and what size shells? I will mostly be hunting on ponds. Two of these ponds are surrounded by timber. Another one of the ponds backs up to timber, behind this pond there is flooded timber seeing as the top part of the pond's dam is eroded away. I have fond sign by all of these ponds, mainly mallard and woodies but the geese fly low so there is always a chance of those. I am using a Bennelli Super Nova as my gun of choice. I also am wondering if if the shaker feeding duck calls are any good?
Thank You so much for your help!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
I not know much about duck hunting. But I will part with some of the stuff I have leanrnd in my years of trying to self teach and stuff I have goten from ppl kind enouf to take me and talk to me about it.

NO such thing as to menny decoys. Thge amount of decoys is only limited to your budget and waight you can cary. Decoy placement is more inportant then decoy numbers.

The most inportant information on duck hunting ever told me was. If you are wear the ducks want to be 90% of the conflict is over.

Just remember that ducks land into the wind.

Other duckhunters will flock to this post and inform you good and proper on how to proper duck hunt.

Just keep in mind there are slow days and slow days in duckhunting. More slow days then limit days.

·
Registered
42,108 Posts
Welcome to the sport :cheers:

The # of dekes depend son the # of birds that frequent your area and/or the size of groups you will see, you want to closely simulate what they see all the time, might be 1 bird might be 240, jus depends on what is "natural" Too many CAN hurt you, too few CAN hurt you.

3" is plenty
Size id go w/ #2's so if you get ducks your safe if you get geese your safe.

Leave the shaker at home.

:cheers:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for bringing that up and for your help Longbow26. I would like to know how to set up my decoy spread for those kinds of situations? I also may be able to hunt a little river with a slow current.

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
Ive never seen a shaker. Heard of em, just never saw one. All good advice I'd say. Get yourself a duck call, and learn the basic quack. Everything branches out from there, and that quack will get you by, more times than not.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rebel.

·
Registered
42,108 Posts
As far as setting up the dekes, pay no attention to the books or what ducks unlimited tells you, all the j hooks and all that junk has been seen for years by ducks.

Make it look natural, scout your ducks.. however they loaf set up that way.

Me personally likes to put lil bunches out with pockets in the middle giving ducks ample areas to land as ducks will be ducks and dont follow the play book. they dont always land into the wind, dont always land on water, dont mind ice.. all the books tell you is the exact opposite.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got a Buck Gardner double reed duck call and can kind of quack. I just can't get down the feeding chuckle.

·
Registered
42,108 Posts
feeding chuckle is WAY overrated, ducks sitting on water do NOT do that, only time youll ever hear that is when they are over head flying around.

Simple quacks by the hen is good a drake whistle can be good as well.

:cheers:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While me and my friend were squirrel hunting we saw ducks landing in the open pond or in holes in the timber. They would land and then float around. We also saw them flying through the timber and landing. So :confused:.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Buck Gardner duck whistle go broken so I need to find another one.

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
[rquote=1497785&tid=104533&author=Bubba Jr.]While me and my friend were squirrel hunting we saw ducks landing in the open pond or in holes in the timber. They would land and then float around. We also saw them flying through the timber and landing. So :confused:.[/rquote]

maybe you better let me come and investigate the intruders for ya...sounds like a dangerous situation to me :thinking:

:quackquack:

G

·
Decoys- If your hunting a small pond i would buy 3 doz, not that you need to use them all, but just to have them in case. Buy more if you feel. Scout around and see how many ducks use the pond(s), and throw out that many decoys. If you dont see the ducks using the pond throw out as many decoys as you think is necessary, but dont overdue it (more decoys doesn't aslways mean more ducks/commitments). Buy mallard decoys, GHG sells some nice cheap ones. As for the shaker mallard call i wouldnt reccomend that as you make alot of movement that the ducks can spot, unless your in a well concealed blind where the ducks wont see your movement. GHG also sells a 4 pack of floater goose decoys that would be fine for a pond and could even bring some geese down.

Shells- If your shooting ducks i would use 3in #2's, or BB's if you wanna smack em :), if your shooting geese i would use 3in or 3 1/2in BB's.

Heres a link to some cheap ghg mallards i would buy if your not looking to spend a lot of money:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...=froogle&cm_pla=1311005&cm_ite=0071483229980a

Those mallards decoys are all rester type decoys, so if you want to buy another type of cheap decoys buy some flambeaus which look more active..

And the goose decoys:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true&hasJS=true

I dont know much but i think i know enough to help out a new comer :) Any Q's u2u me and ill let ya know if ive got a good answer:D
Good luck and post some pics of your kills!:claphands:

·
13,390 Posts
Bubbaj,

What part of the state are yo from??? Ever seen a green haired clown??

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[rquote=1497798&tid=104533&author=knockemdeadd][rquote=1497785&tid=104533&author=Bubba Jr.]While me and my friend were squirrel hunting we saw ducks landing in the open pond or in holes in the timber. They would land and then float around. We also saw them flying through the timber and landing. So :confused:.[/rquote]

maybe you better let me come and investigate the intruders for ya...sounds like a dangerous situation to me :thinking:

:quackquack:[/rquote]

It all depend on when dad gets time and if the landowner is hunting or not.

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
[rquote=1497816&tid=104533&author=Bubba Jr.][rquote=1497798&tid=104533&author=knockemdeadd][rquote=1497785&tid=104533&author=Bubba Jr.]While me and my friend were squirrel hunting we saw ducks landing in the open pond or in holes in the timber. They would land and then float around. We also saw them flying through the timber and landing. So :confused:.[/rquote]

:quackquack:[/rquote]

It all depend on when dad gets time and if the landowner is hunting or not. [/rquote]

I was just kidding ya. Im sure dad has it under control :cheers:

G

·
The best way to learn about the sport is to get out there, sit and learn. Fix what you think you could have changed which would of made a difference on the birds behavior from your previous hunt. And if you mess up fix it next time :) Just remember on a strong to mild wind the birds are going to land INTO it. (lol reb is right also) So make a landing zone in range where they'll cup up and glide in :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Skduckhunt I live on the west side of the state near KC. I don't know what you're hinting at with a green haired clown?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DuckHuntinMo thank you for that info the thing I have with 3 1/2" shells is that they cost more than the 3" shell but if they work like everybody says they do I might look in to getting some of them. :thinking:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts