Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
just a no body
14,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fell into one HECK of a deal on some ( A LOT) of WW seed 1/3 of a bulk bag from a NC+ dealer but I have storage issues.. I'd be glad to share my good fortune for some storage so if your interested please u2u me & I'll fill ya in.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
i wish we were on the same side of the state :whinging:

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,045 Posts
[rquote=1484044&tid=103718&author=beanpile]2000 lbs i figuer its about 1/3 rd of a bag[/rquote]

If ya don't have any luck closer to ya, I imagine I could find a spot that stays relatively cool & dry to help ya out.

·
just a no body
14,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks Pin since i think i'd probably be using the seed up in the moberly area so that might work. I'll keep in touch

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,045 Posts
[rquote=1484120&tid=103718&author=beanpile]thanks Pin since i think i'd probably be using the seed up in the moberly area so that might work. I'll keep in touch[/rquote]

That would be pretty close. I'm like 30 minutes from Moberly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
[rquote=1484296&tid=103718&author=BowtechAdm]Gateway outfitters have 25% off on Imperial Clover....if bought now would it still be good in the Fall?[/rquote]

Yes, I have carried clover seed over a year. The normal rules apply, store in a cool dry place.

If you have the place ready, I would frost seed it in Feb. rather than next fall. You will have a stand ready to go by this fall. If you seed it next fall, you won't have much of a stand until the spring of 2011

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Frost Seed? Ive heard of this before but please explain a little more. Yesterday I went down to my land and got 3 different soil samples and took them to the extension office should take a week for my results back. So If I kill all the fescue till it up I can throw some clover seed out in Fed? Do I need to fertilize as well? Sorry for the dumb questions, but like I said a couple of weeks ago I'm new to this and trying to learn

·
Banned
24,572 Posts
If you don't treat that seed for weevils, they will ruin the germination. And how do you treat that much seed and not breathe the treatment dust? That is why it was given to you, it is probably treated with apron seed treatment and cannot be dumped at the elevator or fed to livestock. Anything that eats it will get sick and you can be held accountable by the feds, so you cannot just dump it in your timber if it doesn't work out later. Personally, I would plant it now and save the hassle of trying to store it or put it in containers and put a little in the freezer to keep the bugs out.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
[rquote=1486947&tid=103718&author=BowtechAdm]Frost Seed? Ive heard of this before but please explain a little more. Yesterday I went down to my land and got 3 different soil samples and took them to the extension office should take a week for my results back. So If I kill all the fescue till it up I can throw some clover seed out in Fed? Do I need to fertilize as well? Sorry for the dumb questions, but like I said a couple of weeks ago I'm new to this and trying to learn[/rquote]

Frost seeding is just throwing it down in the dormant season (late winter) when some freeze thaw cycles are still going to occur. Normally late Feb is a good time.

For a perennial plot like clover and since you haven't killed the fescue yet, I would just work on it this spring and not seed until around Sept 1. You could plant RR soys or something there this spring and spray over the top for weed control. Then you should be ready to go come fall. And you can mix winter wheat, oats, or winter rye with it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Frost seed

I got ahead of myself and assumed that you had killed your fescue.

Follow Dan's advice and seed your clover this fall. And also, kill some fescue to have ready to frost seed another plot next spring while you are at it.

The old timers say to sow clover during the new moon. Don't know if that right or not, but it has worked for me.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
when is to late to spray with roundup? I got about 3 plots to do. 2 of them are about an acre and one is a 5 acre plot. Should I mow now or wait? Only reason I would like to get as much as I can now is because I leave in March and I don't come back until Sept for work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts