I need some advice on moving a stand

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by riverbottomhunter, Oct 31, 2010.

1. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I hunted a stand the last few evening. Seen lots of activity with bucks chasing does all over the place. For the most part the deer are not really sticking on a regular pattern, but have noticed a few of them (couple real nice bucks) have went down a certain trail leading to another part of the timber.

Way I see it I got 2 choices:

Choice 1, move a stand along the trail and hope not to push the deer out of my corner of the timber while doing this. Then if if the wind is right hunt that stand.

Choice 2, leave that area alone for now and keep bowhunting the stand I am in and hope a deer ends up in range. then next summer move a stand along that trail so I can hunt it next year.

This whole area is well within range for me come rifle season, therefore I am leaning towards #2. I really don't want to push the bucks out of my area with only 2 weeks till rifle season.

2. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    If you want the bowkill move the stand, those bucks may not be around or running that area in two weeks.

3. yankee

yankee Senior Member

MOVE now, make the move during the late morning hours, let the stand sit a day, then hunt it

4. stlhawk

stlhawk New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Having the same issue and I think #2 is the way I'm going to go.

Good luck and maybe u can alter their pattern with a decoy or scent attractant. My .02

5. gentleben

gentleben Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    STL
    [rquote=1872046&tid=130352&author=stlhawk]Having the same issue and I think #2 is the way I'm going to go.

Good luck and maybe u can alter their pattern with a decoy or scent attractant. My .02[/rquote]

Or an obstruction. If a tree happens to "fall" and alter their path, you can get em closer to you.

6. ImADoeBuster

ImADoeBuster New Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Jefferson City
    #2 would be my option in this case as it would be my luck I would move the stand and they would come through where I was at. Good luck to you in whatever decision you make.

7. chuck88

chuck88 New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    move the stand in the middle of the day, bumping deer once will not push deer out of the area. if your really concerned then go in the mid day, drive your truck as close as possible and make noise, fire up a chainsaw, slam doors, talk loud. it will have the deer sneak out and not be alarmed, then move your stand and hunt the next day. it may sound stupid but it happens all summer and winter all around them. they'll move out and come back later.

8. GTOHunter

GTOHunter Well-Known Member

I agree with Yankee....move the stand closer...after they quit chasing and get on lock-down with the Doe's and then they will be more careful when the Rifle shots start going off during Gun Season! :mad2: :whinging: :wave:

9. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    For sure move it now in mid day but be as quiet as you can. Your scent will be gone by morning. Try not to disturb any of the "trail" that the deer are using. I wouldn't put my stand any closer than 20 yards from the "trail". Put your stand where the wind is right for you on most days. The quicker you get in and out the less scent you will leave.

Good Luck

10. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Might give it a try. Got to go to another timber and take one down. The deer in our woods hear my 4wheeler all the time, so I think I am just going to drive it to where I am going to put the new stand up. Can't hunt this evening due to trick or treating. Hope to find a good tree, then hunt it some evening this week if wind is right

11. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1872043&tid=130352&author=Hoytshooter]If you want the bowkill move the stand, those bucks may not be around or running that area in two weeks.[/rquote]

I agree. Move it. The bucks are going to go where the does are. The stupid hour is upon them, you're not gonna run them off.

12. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Well went to pull a stand of mine off of a neighbors farm. Wouldn't you know it, jumped 2 shooter bucks off of his farm. Found a huge rub right by my stand. Ended up leaving that stand on the neighbors in hopes of hunting it 1 more time this year. Pulled another stand off of another neighbor that hasn't seen action in about 2 years. Decided to leave our timber alone and if I don't stick one with a bow I will just try for one with a gun

13. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    If the wind is right then move it and hunt it. Now is the time to get aggressive and make aggressive moves to get on the deer. I did it two days ago and I have passed several bucks. One I should of prolly shot, but I still have a few days to get it done

14. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Imperial MO
    Climber?

If not move it. Some of my best hunts have been setting a stand then climbing up and sitting til dark the day of, no need to wait.