Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did get out for a couple of hours last fri and heard nothing. i had 5 hens out in a field ahead of me at first light but never saw a tom or even heard one. now my question is this, i'm getting out sat. morning for a quick last try, i'm headed to the field i know the hens visit. should i set up on the edge or go up the ridge, my concerns are with the wet weather i'm thinking they may not fly down to the fields right away. i'm thinking there might be a tom wlking the top looking for love.

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
this morning the turks stayed up in the trees until 7:00, the hens went one way and the toms the other. jakes came by me, and then there was three. i don't think there is much love going on in my part of the country anymore.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Don't know where you're hunting, but all the gobblers I encountered in the last week stayed in the woods. I only saw hens out in the open. I'd get back in the timber where they're roosting and go from there.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I'm pretty far souf here and I watched an old tom and some hens yesterday morning for a good while. He was for certain still interested in the ladies.

There should be some good mornings left now that the weather has stabilized.

·
5,631 Posts
Hope they're still workin. Droptine and I will be hittin in Saturday morning....

ON PUBLIC GROUND!

We're hoping everyone else gave up on it already.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
If they stay in their roost so long, and possibly longer than usual, can you shoot them in the trees?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Alrighty then! Hmmm, I would do it with a shotgun, but I don't know about a bow!

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Nicholas
If they stay in their roost so long, and possibly longer than usual, can you shoot them in the trees?
i will get flamed for this but YES you can. will i ? probably not. i have a buddy going with me sat for his first ever turkey hunt. he gets first shot if anything does decide to cooperate. oh by the way if a beared hen shows up within range it is going down. i'll let you folks know how it goes on sat, the only other possible handicap is another hunter possibly hunting the same ridge/field. we'll cross that bridge if and when it happens.

·
Banned
81,617 Posts
On wet cloudy days when the wind is'nt blowing gale force,,I prefer the open ground,,,,,,it has always appeared to me like the turkey do too.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
By Saturday it should be dried up pretty good and like henry said if it isn't blowin' a gale I'd hunt the fields. The Toms that are about done should be looking to replenish themselves and most of the food is in the fields.

Jack

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
we got two last year in the rain (drizzle) but it was the first weekend too. so how many would wait it out at the base of the field and how many would start up near the top of the ridge at first light and after an hour or so moved to the field edge? and how many would just stay in bed with the rain coming?

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
I'll tell you what I'm so ate up with this Turkey hunting this year I just can't stand it. Filling my tag in Indiana opening day was fantastic, but my season is over here ! It's not out of my system yet by any means. So given the opportunity I would be out there this weekend come heck or high water... mad, wet, blown away and every thing else !!!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Windy & wet = Field hunting from the start Calm & still I would start on a ridge and work to the field around 9:00 and hang out there until I hear one gobbling or until its time to head to the shed! Right now the less you call the better unless a hen fires up at you and then consider your self lucky and yell back at her. I have only taken one small bird this year and that was a challenge, good luck to all, this is the last hoorahh!!!:banghead:

·
Registered
21,440 Posts
I hunted in a field today and watched 3 long beards and 4 jakes fly off roost 6:30am, and all land within 20 yards of each other in the field. Later a hen flew out there and they gobblers ignored her. She went near them and they still kept their distance. They never gobbled once they hit the ground and showed no interest in any calls or live hens.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.