I know it doesn't happen in here very often..

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by TATER, May 27, 2009.

1. TATER

TATER Well-Known Member

.. but I'd like to ask for some serious input.

This Saturday 5/30/09 members of the Missouri Waterfowl Association (MWA) are going to meet with representatives of the MDC regarding the current and future state of waterfowl hunting in Missouri. I would like to know if there is any serious topics or questions that you would like brought up.

I would like to ask you a question. As we understand it, currently the Federal framework says that if a state has more then 2 zones that it cannot have split seasons. In Missouri we have the North, Middle and South. Therefore we cannot open the season in an area, close it for a few weeks and then re-opn it til the end of the season. Would you prefer only having two zones if we could then have split seasons?

Tater

2. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    The goose season should open 2 weeks Later and go 2 weeks into Feb. If they really want to control the population, thats what they need to do. it is working for other states and providences such as, Indianna, New york, Kansas, Ontario....etc.

get them on the reverse migration on the way to the nesting grounds, just like the snows except keep the limit the same or go to 3 per day.

the first 2 weeks of goose season are pointless. We arent getting migrators yet and were hunting the same resident geese we hunted a month earlier. they should just make the nuissance season longer if they want us to hunt the same birds...just my .02

3. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    I love the idea of split seasons. give the birds a break around here and they wont get so STALE

4. TATER

TATER Well-Known Member

[rquote=1276846&tid=89363&author=goosekilla]The goose season should open 2 weeks Later and go 2 weeks into Feb. If they really want to control the population, thats what they need to do. it is working for other states and providences such as, Indianna, New york, Kansas, Ontario....etc.

get them on the reverse migration on the way to the nesting grounds, just like the snows except keep the limit the same or go to 3 per day.

the first 2 weeks of goose season are pointless. We arent getting migrators yet and were hunting the same resident geese we hunted a month earlier. they should just make the nuissance season longer if they want us to hunt the same birds...just my .02[/rquote]

GK,
    The way it is explained to us is that the Feds do not believe the EPP flock of Canadas (the primary group migrating here)needs to be reduced. There is actually still some discussion that there is a stability issue. However there is talk of increasing limits during times when it is primarily local geese to reduce their numbers. I will know more after Saturday and will let you know.
    Tater

5. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Good Luck tater,

This was all hashed out with the so-called input meetings 2-3 years ago... We spoke and they still did what they wanted. Toss in Rebs call in check in procedure... Or ask for smaller food plots on the duck parks so the birds have to move around for food. It sure would help the river hunters!!like me...