Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was heading down the highway today with the flatbed trailer behind my truck on my way to get some hay. I rounded a corner and 2 deer were running down the shoulder of the road to my right straight away from me. I hit the brakes as hard as I could without locking them up and noticed that the one closest to the road was a spotted fawn. Bout that time, it veered right in front of my truck. It went underneath, between the front two tires and then slid out from under the truck before the back tires got it. It slid all the way off into the ditch. So I stop and put the hazard lights on and figure I'm gonna have to go back and finish it off. I get up to it and it is unconcious but still breathing. I start checking it over and it is a little doe, about 30 pounds, no broken legs, no blood from the mouth, nose, ears, or rearend. Best I can tell is she got a few scrapes and knocked out so I kneel there beside her for a minute as she comes to. She was groggy at first but when she was somewhat with it, I lifted her to her feet to see if she could stand in case she had a back injury that I couldnt detect. She stood there, a little wobbly, and then layed back down so I gave her a little more time. Finally, after I dont know how long, she started getting pretty frisky and wanted away from me. I picked her up and carried her back across the highway to where the other deer went into the woods. I dont know if the other deer was her mother or a sibling because it all happened so fast I could only tell that there was a second deer. I get her under the barbed wire fence and she strots off a little ways, then gets a little disoriented again and lays back down. Then she gets up again and trots off again out of sight. I hope she has a better than average chance at making it. After I got the hay, on the way back, I slowed down at the site and saw her bedded down a little ways in the brush. Her head was up and her eyes open and alert so I hope she was waiting there for momma. I guess I'll head back down there tomorrow to see if she is still there. I hope she isnt.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Tell us what you find out tomorrow and lets hope for the best.

·
5,632 Posts
BP, hope it all works out for ya, bro.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HOORAY!!!! I went down and checked the area today and saw no signs of her. Hopefully, momma came back for her. Now she can grow up, have a few sets of fawns of her own, and then come by my streestand some fall morning.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
OK, hope she is doing fine and good work on your part.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Way to go BP! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Originally posted by GoGop
If she's almost dead, report it and see if an agent will come wack her. Then take her to a taxidermist. That would be a cool full-body mount.
I've got a buddy with a full body fawn mount. It laying down. It's really cool looking

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I forgot to tell y'all that while I was kneeling there with her beside the highway, wearing a bowhunting t-shirt, a car slowed down and stopped to see if I needed help. At that time the fawn was awake but not up yet. I told the lady what was going on and she seemed pretty impressed that I would take the time to do such a thing. Just seems like the normal thing to do to me. She'd probably been horrified to know that also in my mind was that if I had to put her down, she was going on my smoker!
:peepwall:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.