i hear Turkey nuggets are real tasty, anbody got a recipe?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by shooter22, Apr 25, 2006.

1. shooter22

shooter22 New Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Fort Scott, KS
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Well, after day one Wash and rinse cycle got over, we had one bird come about 60 yards and did an about face. Found out that the bird had been in a turkey taking party the weekend before with a youth hunter in the same location. So Day two we moved out from under the roost Fly down area(birds blown our of roost by hurricane "ruined day one big wind and rain")

Decided to set up on an edge of a bottle necked field and call them in:). first light, gobble,gobble at our backdoor. Not fourty yards behind us. So we do a bit of calling and listen. Hens are coming out to the left , one or two at a time.

We hear toms gobbling all in front of us, we are watching and waiting, but nothing from the big gobble behind us in about an hour.

Finally, a tom(silently) comes out at the right of the camera blind. He sees our three hens and struts and turns toward us. I reach for a shooting stick and brush the blind with it:banghead:, the tom takes off like a scalded dog.:mad2: I an furious with myself. the bird runs at full speed across the field and into the brush:mad: About ten minutes later, we found out that I did not scare off the tom, but a bigger tom that, as we found out from our camera guy, had just kicked the first toms' but. He comes into view. Man he put on a show. Strutting and drumming.:pop:

We got good film of him coming in and a nice sound of me shooting him, but missed the co-ordination with the camera.

We would like to have got him on film during the shot, but missed that. but I did get my first Turkey with my first shot.

We are going week two and try to get it all together.

Details of my first bird,

Tom gobbler: just a little over 3/4" spurs, and 9" beard. weight---20 Lbs on the nose:dancin:

To say i was a happy camper is a understatement

:wink4::eek::dancin::cheers::banana::roll2::wave:

Unbelievable!, oh ps, in need turkey nuggets recipe?im gonna need it for now and a long time to come;)

2. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Cornmeal, and hot grease...and a few cold beers!!!!! Congrats....

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Just a few Brad? Dont know if I know that recipe! lol

4. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I use the same stuff I cook my crappie fillets in. Fry'm up in the deep fryer.

5. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Congrats shooter. The big birds will get in your blood quick.

Wild turkey is really good in stir fry and fajitas too.

:cheers::cheers:

6. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    droptine taught me this recipe...

Flower
    Salt
    Pepper
    Couple packs of Hidden Valley Ranch dry mix

...fry 'em up!

7. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    Shooter congrats !! i don't really know how to give a recipe over the internet so i'll just come over there and show ya and join you for dinner. :wave: basicly what i do and this is from memory, take some flour and add season salt, fresh pepper (the fresher the better) a little garlic powder and depending on the amount of flour a picnch of baking powder (not baking soda). when you stick your finger into the seasoned flour and you really taste the seasoning you got it about right. just not too much salt but a good amount. some folks like to dip their pieces into egg wash or some like to let it sit a spell in buttermilk. maybe even a few hours in the milk. if the chuks get too thick when you go to fry them the breading will burn before the meat is all the way done so you'll have to experiment with temps. the thinner the meat the faster/hotter you can get away with frying it. i'm thinking i went with around 300 on the oil as the hotter ones would get the breading golden before the meat was fully cooked. you'll screw a few pieces up as you figure it out so don't fret it just get another beer. also you will notice like fish the pieces will float when fully cooked. please folks anyone else chime in. :wink4:

8. semodeerhunter

semodeerhunter New Member

Dec 25, 2002
    perryville mo
    Congrats on your first bird.