Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are we getting sissyfied!!!! I was sitting in the blind this morning with the heater running, and it occurred to me I was a SISSY!!!!! I can remember when I was young I would leave the house with just a single shot shotgun and a wingbone call and that was it. If it was raining it didn’t matter you crawled under a big cedar and hunkered down. Even deer hunting it was just a rifle and that was it. Did not matter if it was cold, raining it just did not matter. All my shooting houses have carpet and heat and comfy chairs. The houses have windows to keep the wind and rain out. I looked like the stay puff marshmallow man this morning walking back to the ranger. I had my turkey vest and my bag with my thermos of coffee and my snacks and binoculars and range finder.And then my pump shotgun. So when did hunters get sissyfied!!! Or maybe it is just ME.
Mark

· King of Callaway
43,375 Posts
It ain't just you, I still like to run and gun some, but more and more I go to the big bottom, set the DSD's out and relax in a comfy chair in the blind. Honestly it's two totally different types of hunting. No racking leaves and purring, face paint, he came in on wrong side, throw up and shoot we got busted. However I never had a hen strut and fight the decoys, or had my jake assaulted multiple time a season before I got the blind and comfy chairs. Got them for youths, but once I started doing it, it's hard to run and gun if they aren't talking much knowing the blind is there. Also seems like I don't blow any birds out, the same spot can produce a lot of birds. Running and gunning, I know spots have gone cold as we chased the birds out of the area.

· Registered
70,866 Posts
Back in the day....we had just one of each necessary thing. One gun, one knife, one turkey call, 3 or 4 low brass #4 shells, a few squares of TP and one tag. And half of those were forgotten in the truck except for the gun and shell...most of the time anyways....I did forget my shells once.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
I'm not getting sissified. I've become smarter. Why suffer to kill a turkey ? :D

Reactions: fishshooter

· Registered
3,063 Posts
I was gonna read all of your post till I got to the words wingbone Turkey call and I had to stop and cry. So, yeah, I guess I'm a sissy.
Almost same here. Mine was a diaphragm though that I didn't know how to use but I felt cool holding it between my cheek and teeth. Army camo, boots that leaked, an old single shot 16 gauge that had the forearm duct taped on, and a mile walk from the house to where the birds roosted every night. Actually kind of miss that old gun. Had to be careful breaking it open. More then once I'd go to load it and find myself holding the action in one hand and the barrel in the other.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.