I hate this forum

Discussion in 'Politics ......... (OPT IN)' started by rat, Jun 1, 2009.

1. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Am I the only one?????

I see people judging people they havent even met on here because of political views.

If you went on a political site (there are TONS to choose from) and cornplained about deer hunting regulations, they'd barbecue you at the stake OR you wouldnt get any replies.

Now, I completely understand that there are percieved (real, not real, whatever) notions that our gun rights are in danger. I agree we should be vigilant about that absolutely.

But when I see thread that make enemies or give false notions between people who havent even met or talked..
    well, I just find that sad.

Its completely unreasonable to expect that politics wont creep into any conversation you have nowadays and I understand that.

I'm not accusing anyone... just saying that I wish folks would find a political forum instead of here.

I dont usually rant about what folks talk about on here (least anymore) but this subject I find useless. The only good it does is form opinions about someone else that you may meet one day and may share a hunt or campfire with.
    You are cheating yourself to judge a person before you meet them but I suppose the internet enables us to do just that.

Rant off. :D

2. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    [rquote=1282916&tid=89758&author=rat]Am I the only one?????

I see people judging people they havent even met on here because of political views.

You are cheating yourself to judge a person before you meet them but I suppose the internet enables us to do just that.[/rquote]

I hear ya'...

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Again, I'm not accusing anyone specifically of forming an opinion of someone until you meet and talk with them.

But I can tell you from experience that I did just that on a few people.
    Turned out I had to eat some crow.. a lot of it.

I've seen some intense arguments on here, both political and wildlife-regulations based.

I never see arguments at a get together. You have NO idea how much you can have in common with someone aside from politics.

I'm not one bit scared to share the fact that a political argument caused my blood brother and I to not speak for over 3 years. My own BROTHER.

Not worth it, not worth it at all.

Find a political forum and argue with people you either dont know or dont WANT to know.
    Use MWT to make friends... we all have a common thread, and thats the outdoors.

Now THATS worth it. :cheers:

4. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    I know what your sayin. I hoped this forum would be a polite disscussion of ideas and differences. Didn't really pan out. I'm a diehard conservative on money and moral issues but have plenty of friends who disagree with me. Don't seem to be possible on here without getting ugly sometimes. I make no apologies for my beliefs but tend to keep them to my self on here to avoid friction. I don't know many of the members here but ain't met a bad one yet, why ruin that before you even get to know them.

5. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    [rquote=1282950&tid=89758&author=rat]

I'm not one bit scared to share the fact that a political argument caused my blood brother and I to not speak for over 3 years. My own BROTHER.

Not worth it, not worth it at all.

Use MWT to make friends... we all have a common thread, and thats the outdoors.

Now THATS worth it.[/rquote]

:cheers:

6. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    You're not going to get any argument out of me on the subject paul. It sure wouldn't hurt my feelings if it went away either.:cheers:

7. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Agree 100 percent with ya Paul...I don't normally open threads in the politics section...this one caught my eye.

I for one signed on here for hunting related discussions.....have met some of ya and so far every one I've met is top notch..the kind of people I enjoy spending time with.

8. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1282981&tid=89758&author=pinwheel]You're not going to get any argument out of me on the subject paul. It sure wouldn't hurt my feelings if it went away either.:cheers:[/rquote]
    I'm not lobbying for it to go away.. just dont like it somehow.

I did my fair share of blabbing politics and I really do wish I knew how to talk about it from a more informed point of view.

Just dont have the time to research it.

Listening to a talk radio show or the tv does NOT necessarily make you informed allofasudden. ;)

I think most people that know me know me to be a pretty staunch conservative. It comes from my upbringing. Not necessarily political views, just living life... working hard, not wanting handouts, making my own way, being responsible for my own mistakes, etc etc.

Having said that, I'd be missing out on a lot of friendships if I made that my sole goal in life.
    At the risk of pressing a political hot-button, I have a lot of friends that are union folk... skilled as they can be and I have a ton of respect for them.
    I'd miss out on friendships if I constantly bashed unions. Most of the friends I know in this capacity are hard working folk trying to put food on the table JUST LIKE THE REST OF US.

Rant off... and this will likely be the last time I post in here. I'll for sure read it when I have time, but you'll see me more in the whitetails general or social forum.
    I got no use for sour grapes or arguing.

I dont mean to insinuate that the political forum has no use.

Just that it has no for me personally. I'll get my political information elsewhere.
    I'll for sure still read it though.
    Carry on and sorry again for the rant. :cheers:

9. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    I can take away the today's post button and no one would know there were even posts made to the politics forum unless they click on the community forums topic and if that is not enough, I can make a new forum header just for all non hunting topics and then no one would see them unless they click on non hunting topics......

easy fix..... but I bet very few of you would like that format.....

10. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1283036&tid=89758&author=mrb]I can take away the today's post button and no one would know there were even posts made to the politics forum unless they click on the community forums topic and if that is not enough, I can make a new forum header just for all non hunting topics and then no one would see them unless they click on non hunting topics......

easy fix..... but I bet very few of you would like that format.....[/rquote]

I know I would hate it if the todays button went away.

11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Whats wrong with the way it is?
    I know forum members that dont like the political banter and dont choose to enroll in the politics side of the site.

Just stating my opinion of how it is here. Nothing against the management here.

I just see it making more enemies than friends. :cheers:

12. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1283046&tid=89758&author=rat]Whats wrong with the way it is?
    I know forum members that dont like the political banter and dont choose to enroll in the politics side of the site.

I just see it making more enemies than friends. :cheers:[/rquote]

Just talked to the big dog on the phone & he wanted me to relay that he wasn't being testy, he's just on the road & didn't have time to type up a well thought out way of saying what he was trying to say. He was just trying to offer options to problems brought up by members.

Taking away todays post would make members who wanted to talk hunting, have to click on the hunting forum, rather than seeing everything posted.

I agree with something Dave & I just talked about, even though we started soley as a hunting forum, we've expanded into a lot more than just a hunting & fishing forum. More like a social forum this time of year than a hunting forum. I know it is for me.

13. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Boo to the politics forum
    boo to takin away todays posts
    yay to making rat wear a kilt at the gtg

providing its not windy :peepwall:

14. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1283105&tid=89758&author=pinwheel][rquote=1283046&tid=89758&author=rat]Whats wrong with the way it is?

I just see it making more enemies than friends. :cheers:[/rquote]

Just talked to the big dog on the phone & he wanted me to relay that he wasn't being testy, he's just on the road & didn't have time to type up a well thought out way of saying what he was trying to say. He was just trying to offer options to problems brought up by members.

Taking away todays post would make members who wanted to talk hunting, have to click on the hunting forum, rather than seeing everything posted.

I agree with something Dave & I just talked about, even though we started soley as a hunting forum, we've expanded into a lot more than just a hunting & fishing forum. More like a social forum this time of year than a hunting forum. I know it is for me.[/rquote]
    Well, I told him that I lost signal. As matter of fact I hung up on him. :hysterical::hysterical:

No, seriously, I hadnt thought out what might come of this thread, only that I just dont enjoy this part of the forum.
    I understand it needs to be, just warning folks that if yer not careful, you can generate a lot of ill feelings or get the wrong idear about folks.
    I'll just shut up. That usually helps things. lol

I aint wearing no kilt Rebel. :mad2:

15. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    oh you will, maybe not by choice......

:peepwall:

16. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    With politics involving our daily lives within this past year it is very hard to not enter into just a little bit of political discussion on occasion. Even my Mother and Father and I have had a couple of bouts pertaining politics of today. I see he is getting upset so I just change the subject...well after I say my piece anyway. Mostly pertaining to loosing gun rights I might ad.

With the U.S. Government getting involved in almost everyones lives to some extent I find it becoming a normal topic of discussion no matter where I go. Two years ago....totally different situation. But we have to respect the other guys point of view none the less. 90% of the time your words fall on deaf ears anyway. Best just move on down the road and pick the fights that you can win or at least end in a tie.

17. dookie

dookie New Member

Nov 27, 2004
    imperial,mo
    Excellent post Rat!!!:cheers: I agree with you 500%!!!
    There are very few political "discussions" that remain civil in the forum. Some cannot agree to disagree and leave it at that. Nothing wrong with having different political views,but it never seems to stop at that. Kinda like "discussing" antler restrictions.:whistle: Repect the fact that others may have a different opinion than you do and don't pass judgement on them over a difference of opinion!!!:cheers::cheers:

:soapbox::soapbox::soapbox:

18. dookie

dookie New Member

Nov 27, 2004
    imperial,mo
    [rquote=1283119&tid=89758&author=rat]

I aint wearing no kilt Rebel. :mad2:[/rquote]

If you do Rat, make sure you have a barstool like this. :cheers::claphands:

[​IMG]
    :smiley: