i guess the regs changed regarding youth, and mentor hunter ed

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Chad, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Was in wal mart getting the daughters tag, and heard an employee telling a guy he didn't have to be hunter ed certified to take his son. Which kinna irritated me cause most of them folks donbt have a clue. Well, I'm pretty up on the regs, and remember many discussions on here about the born before 1967 exemption not working when taking a ypouth, and the mentor still being required to be hunter ed certified. Well he argued, with me so ii grabbed the book and read, and I had to eat crow, cause I guess they changed it. What the heck, none of you caught that and thought to bring it up here so I didn't look like an idiot? :D

2. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    I dunno chad....I just read the regs a couple while back and I swear it says that any Non hunter certified youth hunter must be accompanied by a .....oh heck....here's a paste from the deer regs guide...

.............If not hunter-education certified, a youth hunting on a firearms permit must be in the immediate presence of a properly license adult age 18 or older who is hunter-ed certified or exempt by age.

3. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Here is the link....make sure to read the footnotes indicated for the tags.....

Note number 7 applies in this case...

http://mdc.mo.gov/permits

4. Bricky

Bricky Active Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Bonne Terre Mo.
    Does the four point apply to the youth??

5. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    i just came back from walmart and good golly the line was unreal hope they get out of there before shooting time.:wave:

6. Archer, in your first post at the very end, it says, or age exempt. That must be new, cause I know there was a bunch of discussion on here so I checked and even if the mentor was age exempt to hunt on there own, they still had to be certified with a youth. Guess they changed it.

And bricky, I know the four point rule has never applied to youth, but scared to open my mouth and be wrong again.

7. Honestly, the only bad thing I can say about rifle season is they force you to buy a rifle tag to take your kid. Waste of almost 20 bucks for me! Why do I have to buy a firearms tag, if I don't firearm hunt, but if you were born before 67 you don't have to be hunter ed certified to take a kid? Oh well, 20 bucks is a small price to pay to take her, even though being a super frugal kinna fellow it rubs me wrong! :D

8. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    BRICKY.....I've been wondering about you. Was gonna call and check on ya if you didn't show up soon...

Doing ok???

9. Bricky

Bricky Active Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Bonne Terre Mo.
    [rquote=1870428&tid=130211&author=Chad]Archer, in your first post at the very end, it says, or age exempt. That must be new, cause I know there was a bunch of discussion on here so I checked and even if the mentor was age exempt to hunt on there own, they still had to be certified with a youth. Guess they changed it.

And bricky, I know the four point rule has never applied to youth, but scared to open my mouth and be wrong again.[/rquote]

Thanks Chad

10. Z-BOYS DAD

Z-BOYS DAD New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    wooldridge mo
    last time i checked the 4 point rule applied during the nov. rifle season not during the 2 youth seasons

11. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    When i talked to MDC last week on behalf of my mechanic who count take his hunt ed class in time ot take his sone and nephew on this week end. I was told as long as the boys had some one along wiht them who had taken the hunter ed class and had valid lisence he coudl still go along wiht his boys.

As fare as mentor goes I was told my freind can go hunt as long as some one who ahs taken the hunter ed class and pased it is wiht in hearring distance of him.

My reg book says they have ot be hunting wiht some one hwo has taken the hunt ed class. Pager 42 of the deer pamflet. The person hwo is being mentord does not nead to have taken the hunter ed calss. Ill bring it wiht me in the morning.