Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Banned
11,394 Posts
Yes the metal ratchet is the problem ....those are primarly made for tie downs on trailers etc .....Not for human safety
I use the 1" 500 to 750 pounders on ladders and steps and then on hangons use the 1.5" to 2" 1500 pound plus at top plus a 1" at bottom.

Reactions: Gutpile

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
This is exactly why I only hunt out of Milleniums with the chain cam. I have a ratchet strap around the bottom to keep it from wiggling, and wear a harness to keep from falling out, but there’s zero chance the stand itself will come loose. That in and of itself is enough reason for me to justify the extra $. All it takes is one ornery squirrel doing a little chewing in the middle of the night to ruin your hunt, if not your life!

·
Former Leader in Warning points!
10,489 Posts
I'm just glad that you didn't have to bounce off the ground in order to knock a little sense into you. The ol'lady finally popped you hard enough.

Reactions: pinwheel

·
Under appreciated
89,149 Posts
I am a big fan of the life lines....I have invested in a bunch. Every stand I put up has a line line on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Safet...1?keywords=hss+lifeline&qid=1569328948&sr=8-1

Like being able to send my boys off towards their stand knowing they will be strapped in the whole time.
These are on every stand I have and I use them. I have a muddy harness and I barely know its there, very comfy. I figure between putting on the harness, hooking up when I get to the stand, and climbing with it, I probably spend a total of 2 more minutes. I never wanted to mess with them before because I thought it was going to be a hassle.
If not for MWT, I'd still not wear one... thats a shame.
Glad you are ok jawesome.

·
6,619 Posts
I def need to swap out several straps this year, good safety reminder as everyone is getting started this year

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,871 Posts
Probably the best story to hear about a fall. Glad you're okay other than having to change your shorts.

Reactions: jj77 and Timbuck919

·
Banned
66,431 Posts
Also important to remember, a harness is very important but most falls happen going up and down the ladder. The only 2 ways I know of to prevent a fall there is either clipping off to a step as you go up or a lifeline.

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
21,267 Posts
Reactions: jawesome357

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,787 Posts
What are lifelines all about?
Once you have the stand installed you install the life line. IT is a heavy climbing rope that is secured above your head and extends all the way to the ground. It has a carabiner that is attached via a prusik knot. When you get to the tree you attach the tether on your harness to the carabiner. As you climb you just slide the prussic knot up the rope.

You continue this process all the way up to the stand and you climb in. It allows you to go from ground to stand, and stand to ground and never disconnect. Not even when you climb into the stand.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Once you have the stand installed you install the life line. IT is a heavy climbing rope that is secured above your head and extends all the way to the ground. It has a carabiner that is attached via a prusik knot. When you get to the tree you attach the tether on your harness to the carabiner. As you climb you just slide the prussic knot up the rope.

You continue this process all the way up to the stand and you climb in. It allows you to go from ground to stand, and stand to ground and never disconnect. Not even when you climb into the stand.
Like the sound of that no standing up reaching for anything to hook up. Seems pretty simple, and that is good cause if it's a pain I won't do it

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Like the sound of that no standing up reaching for anything to hook up. Seems pretty simple, and that is good cause if it's a pain I won't do it
There are a bunch of Youtube videos on them. From how to make them, how to install them, and how to use them properly. From soaking in the info for the last 3 days, it seems pretty simple to do and use.

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,787 Posts
They are very simple. I love them. When I hang my stands in early season I use a lineman's rope during that process to stay attached.

I install the stand and climb in. I then have someone toss up the life line or I'll pull it up on a rope. Then I install the lifeline. I clip onto the life line, then unclip from the linemans rope. Always attached.

Whenever people come out and hunt on my place and use the lineman's rope they just rave about them and say "I gotta get me some of those!"

The best part is peace of mind that my son's are always tethered during the ascent and descent.

They work just fine for ladder or hang on stands. You could even use them of r a climber I suppose, a little more cumbersome, I like using a normal tree strap and slide it up above me as I climb the tree vs a lifeline..

·
Registered
900 Posts
Wow, thays scary isnt it!! I had a similar situation years ago hanging a stand. It was in the perfect tree but the only spot to hang was about 30 feet up. I was completely strapped in just stnding on it surveying my supreme workmanship and preoccupied with patting myself on the back when i noticed the hook on the top ratchet was moving. No sooner did the thought enter my head the hook came up and over the frame and the stand gave way. If i hadnt had my harness on i surely wouldnt be hear. I was facing the tree so it kinda slammed me into it but i was able to get a foot on the ladder as it all happened so it wasnt all that bad. I stepped onto the ladder and looked down and thanked god i hadnt got lazy and lef the harness at home. I never ever ever ever ever go up a tree for any reason at all ever without a harness tied to either a lifeline or a linemans belt or a safetly rope.

When you have a close call its sometimes a good thing to get that little reminder of whats really at stake out there

Reactions: jawesome357

·
Registered
21,507 Posts
Ok for 25 years I have set less than 2 foot off the ground. If I should fall asleep I really don’t think the fall will hurt me.

Seriously I have set on a stool back in the brush and did just fine. Lots of times I’ve set next to a tree and let Deer walk by me so I can get quartering away Shot, many times with a Recurve.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin is less than that.

·
Senior Hunter
3,322 Posts

So there is still that chance of falling before you install the lifeline. While your installing your steps or ladder.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts