Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
21,267 Posts
Great safety reminder. Glad you came out on the good side vs. the not so good side of the fall.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Wow....I will admit, I am guilty of not wearing my harness tonight as I was climbing with my climber up a tree. I was late to my spot and it was hot so I thought maybe I just won't climb as high this time. How selfish of me to not think of my wife and kids if something was to happen and I didn't come home. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Saturday morning a local young man had a tree stand accident. He now has several broken ribs along with fractured vertebrae that have been repaired with rods and pins. Last I heard he still hasn’t regained use of his legs yet but the doctors have expectations he will.

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,787 Posts
Wow....so glad you were smart. I messed with the lower half of my ol man climber one time as I was sitting. Next time I stood up....whoosh, it was gone and I fell, about as far as you did.

Good lesson

·
Banned
81,623 Posts
Glad you're okay jawbone. Thanks for reminding us all why we wear them. Or why we should for those who don't.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Glad you have a Advisement to tell!
At work if have a fall osha requires the lanyard be destroyed and replaced . I don't think the harness has to though. And theses are heavy lanyards and harnesses.
I plan to check my harness tomorrow for rips and tears.

I can't really say what exactly happened with the strap.

It'll have a 3rd strap on it soon though.

Gotta go back out there and find my damn Oakleys that were on my head.

·
King of Callaway
42,729 Posts
Glad you're all right, I just got the second man system for the ladder stands, I''ll have to dig the harnesses out now.

Reactions: survivor

·
Senior Hunter
3,322 Posts
Glad your ok, that had to be a scary experience and you probably won't want to get back in a stand for awhile. I always hang my stands on a screw in step (makes it easier when putting it up) and hoping it takes some pressure off the strap. Then I put an additional ratchet strap on my stands other than the strap the stand comes with. I'm not saying it is going to keep anything from breaking but it gives me some comfort knowing.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,366 Posts
Even though you are a Braves fan, still glad you are all right, at least physically. :D

Reactions: jawesome357

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Most of those straps are cheap chinese made crap ........We either use chains with a load binder or on homemade stands we used to use the older rear seat belt lap straps from a car ,,,Never had a failure on those

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I appreciate the kind words gents, and I just hope I'm the example people need. I know all of you have family that want you to be home safe after the hunt.

It was a top 10 on most traumatic things I've been through, but I'll be fine. A lil sore today, but no worse for wear. Wife wasn't happy when I told her. Mom felt the need to tell Grandma who flipped out a bit...

"That's why we wear the harness." I tell em. So we can laugh about it, and not cry about it.

·
Banned
11,394 Posts
Most of those straps are cheap chinese made crap ........We either use chains with a load binder or on homemade stands we used to use the older rear seat belt lap straps from a car ,,,Never had a failure on those
Seems like lately I've had ratchets pop apart with springs or metal tabs bend rather than straps physically break, not on a treestand but on trailers. Makes me worry about treestands though. I have lifelines on every hangon and getting there on ladder stands once my short top tethers are bad or old.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Had a friend sustain a life changing (nearly fatal) fall a few years ago. Always use a harness! It's not worth risk. You have family that love and need you.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Yes the metal ratchet is the problem ....those are primarly made for tie downs on trailers etc .....Not for human safety

·
Land buying addiction
13,564 Posts
That’s a great reminder and I’m real glad your ok. If I forget my harness I will not even get in a stand. I am in the process of getting all my lock ons rounded up and selling them all. Ladders and box blinds for me now

21 - 40 of 70 Posts