I am P-U-M-P-E-D!!!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by JMAC, Apr 22, 2006.

1. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Droptine, his wife and I got a chance to go scouting this morning...

OH MY GOODNESS....

The birds were going NUTS. Heard no less than 7 birds from standing in one location. One was less than 100 yds away down in the holler. 3 were in a group together and were sounding off in unison. Unbelievable. One particular bird was gobbling his head off until 8:30 or so!

In all, we heard no less than 10 different birds and possibly more. We couldn't tell which ones were repeats of the same birds. But at least 10 separate birds.

And for you guys that dog on public ground.....DON'T. That's all I'll say! :hysterical: My advice...don't even buy a tag. Stay home. We'll carry some of those ticks out of the woods for ya!:dancin:

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Jmac.. I have dogged on public ground only for the fact that during opening weekend deer hunting, I have heard that you see so much orange, it looks like a pumpkin patch. Sounds a bit dangerous to me...

Scouting is one thing, but when the season opens, be ready to deal with other hunters.. unless you have a honey hole no one knows about!! I am particular about who I hunt with and I dont like NOT knowing who else is around me and how they were raised.

Great report on what the birds are doing though.. thanks bud!

3. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Thanks for the update....

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Say.. it just occured to me that I may have spoken out of turn..

I did not mean to disparage public ground or folks that use it. It is an important resource and IMHO it is better managed in MO than many other states. I am very appreciative of what we have here! :dancin:

I work with a guy that took a VERY VERY nice 10pt 2 yrs ago at Danville in Montgomery Co. It was an absolute deer of a lifetime... public ground.

We all know about the bowkill last year (or was it 2??) at Poosey also right??

5. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    hey we can all meet at your house and follow you to your spot:D

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
  7. Fla_Guy

Fla_Guy Active Member

Dec 13, 2005
    NC
    Guys, excuse my ignorance here.....what is dogging????

8. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Sorry for my slang. Just means guys put down hunting on public ground a lot.

rat, I understood you. And yes, it was 2 HUGE bucks off of Poosey in the last couple years. Also, I have hunted this particular piece of ground for years and years. I have run into 2 people in the last three years. Very little pressure...at least on opening morning.

Coyotehunter, NO! LOL

9. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Sounds like a good scouting trip Jmac....good luck to ya in the morning!!!

10. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    JMac, best of luck to you and I'll add a blah, blah, blah to that also.:D

Jack

11. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    twas out this mornin and saw the same 3 toms ive been seein for 3 weeks :eek: and heard several others.. cant wait til mornin.. gonna try to call my pops a bigin in :cheers: