Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....for nice drillings. Picked this one up Wednesday and am waiting for dies. I have everything else. It has not been restored. Simpson's should know better.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I don't know what any of this means other than you bought it.

1. What are drillings?
  2. Dies for what?
  3. Have everything else?
  4. Not restored, that's good right?
  5. Simpson's should know what better?
You have the internet at your fingertips, you could've looked all that up for yourself in the time it took you to type your response. I know this isn't helpful, but do you want someone to explain it all to you?

·
14,867 Posts
You have the internet at your fingertips, you could've looked all that up for yourself in the time it took you to type your response. I know this isn't helpful, but do you want someone to explain it all to you?
I would not mind

Reactions: TexasCountyMoHunter

·
Registered
20,180 Posts
Yeah, he would like @sharps4590 to explain the nuances of a nice drilling VS the inter web, I’m sure Sharps will oblige.....

·
Registered
623 Posts
Pretty funny old man. I'm laughing my *** off of this. Yeah, I'm pretty adept at finding information on the internet and figuring things out on my own. I guess I could Google old flintlock and use that image to come up with absolutely nothing. I don't know anything about this stuff. I was interested so I asked. What you're doing is called gatekeeping. Get over yourself.

·
Registered
32,991 Posts
A combination gun is a firearm that usually comprises at least one rifled barrel and one smoothbore barrel, that is typically used with shot or some types of shotgun slug. Most have been break-action guns, although there have been other designs as well. Combination guns using one rifled and one smoothbore barrel are commonly found in an over-and-under configuration, while the side-by-side configuration is usually referred to as a cape gun. A combination gun with more than two barrels are called a drilling (German for "triplet") with three barrels, a vierling (German for "quadruplet") with four barrels, and a fünfling (German for "quintuplet") with five barrels.[1] Combination guns generally use rimmed cartridges, as rimless cartridges are more difficult to extract from a break-action firearm.

·
Registered
623 Posts
A combination gun is a firearm that usually comprises at least one rifled barrel and one smoothbore barrel, that is typically used with shot or some types of shotgun slug. Most have been break-action guns, although there have been other designs as well. Combination guns using one rifled and one smoothbore barrel are commonly found in an over-and-under configuration, while the side-by-side configuration is usually referred to as a cape gun. A combination gun with more than two barrels are called a drilling (German for "triplet") with three barrels, a vierling (German for "quadruplet") with four barrels, and a fünfling (German for "quintuplet") with five barrels.[1] Combination guns generally use rimmed cartridges, as rimless cartridges are more difficult to extract from a break-action firearm.
Had no idea Drillings was a type of firearm. How cool is that!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Pretty funny old man. I'm laughing my *** off of this. Yeah, I'm pretty adept at finding information on the internet and figuring things out on my own. I guess I could Google old flintlock and use that image to come up with absolutely nothing. I don't know anything about this stuff. I was interested so I asked. What you're doing is called gatekeeping. Get over yourself.
Never heard the term gatekeeping before, thank you for trying to explain it to this old man, but I had to look it up on the interwebs to see what it means. Not sure how you got that I was trying to limit your access to information by suggesting the internet, which has more information available than anyone knows what to do with. Could probably even find several online books on the very things you're interested in. However, if you google "old flintlock" in your quest for all things drilling, you will probably come up short and could perhaps refine your research techniques. Maybe that just comes with age though. Plus anyone here is free provide answers to your questions and Sharps is just the guy to ask. I in no way shape or form suggested no one answer your questions, maybe it's a younger generation thing about wanting to be the victim of something, or always thinking someone out there is trying to shut you down. Too much Facebook and video games. I'm going to go play my commodore 64 now.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fst, that was rich....lol!

TxCo., you're just south of me. Reflex got the most of it, about the firearms. Beyond what he said there is so many variations of combination guns, which generally alludes to German, whether O/U or SXS. Cape guns are generally considered British and have the shotgun barrel on the right and the rifle barrel on the left. Whereas the correct and proper way is as the Germans have it, shotgun left and rifle right.....:whistle: There is numerous combinations of drilling and vierling barrels; two rifle barrels and one shotgun barrel, three rifle barrels, how they're laid out in the frame, O/U, SXS etc. Vierlings might any combination of barrels your mind can conceive. Most common is SXS shotgun with a fairly powerful rifle, like 8 X 57IRS below them and, centered between the shotgun barrels with a 5.56 X35R Vierling in the rail, (rib) between and above the shotgun barrels. The 5.56 Vierling is basically the 22 Hornet with a significantly hotter load. Books have been written on them, several books. Reflex dropped a new one in there on me. I'd never heard of nor have I seen a "funfling.", (I don't know how you get the umlaut over the u).

Dies are for reloading the rifle cartridge. After making a chamber cast and slugging the bore all I needed is a .358 WCF sizing die, which arrived in today's post.

Everything else: The remaining dies to load the cartridge, bullet mold, and sizing die of proper size, jacketed bullets, primers, powder, etc.

To me un-restored is preferable.

"Simpson's should know better." Their description was significantly inaccurate and I knew it when I ordered the drilling. They should know better because they've been dealing in Germanic firearms since they opened their doors in 1962 Recently they have moved their buyers into Scandinavia and there's lots of Husqvarna's coming to this country. Pre-covid there was some excellent buys, if a fella simply needed or wanted a basic hunting rifle.

Anything else? I'll be glad to answer...with details that will probably make your eyes glaze over. I'm pretty good at that, unfortunately....:(

Yes 421!!! I cast up a bunch of bullets today to firelap the rifle barrel. Several I know say that will slick it up pretty good. the pitting isn't going away but it can be mananged.....so I'm told. I still think it will be be relegated to jacketed bullets....:( That's ok, I have a surfeit and a couple years ago I accidently got into swaging bullets and, part of the package was .358 dies and jackets.....:)

Thank you Wibb....yes it is....lol!!!

Pray tell, what would you know about my cool toys, Bartles?......:love::ROFLMAO: Geez I miss you guys, how are you two? Would love to see ya'll!!!! We're surviving....mostly by being careful and overlooked.....:)

·
Registered
32,991 Posts
fst, that was rich....lol!

TxCo., you're just south of me. Reflex got the most of it, about the firearms. Beyond what he said there is so many variations of combination guns, which generally alludes to German, whether O/U or SXS. Cape guns are generally considered British and have the shotgun barrel on the right and the rifle barrel on the left. Whereas the correct and proper way is as the Germans have it, shotgun left and rifle right.....:whistle: There is numerous combinations of drilling and vierling barrels; two rifle barrels and one shotgun barrel, three rifle barrels, how they're laid out in the frame, O/U, SXS etc. Vierlings might any combination of barrels your mind can conceive. Most common is SXS shotgun with a fairly powerful rifle, like 8 X 57IRS below them and, centered between the shotgun barrels with a 5.56 X35R Vierling in the rail, (rib) between and above the shotgun barrels. The 5.56 Vierling is basically the 22 Hornet with a significantly hotter load. Books have been written on them, several books. Reflex dropped a new one in there on me. I'd never heard of nor have I seen a "funfling.", (I don't know how you get the umlaut over the u).

Dies are for reloading the rifle cartridge. After making a chamber cast and slugging the bore all I needed is a .358 WCF sizing die, which arrived in today's post.

Everything else: The remaining dies to load the cartridge, bullet mold, and sizing die of proper size, jacketed bullets, primers, powder, etc.

To me un-restored is preferable.

"Simpson's should know better." Their description was significantly inaccurate and I knew it when I ordered the drilling. They should know better because they've been dealing in Germanic firearms since they opened their doors in 1962 Recently they have moved their buyers into Scandinavia and there's lots of Husqvarna's coming to this country. Pre-covid there was some excellent buys, if a fella simply needed or wanted a basic hunting rifle.

Anything else? I'll be glad to answer...with details that will probably make your eyes glaze over. I'm pretty good at that, unfortunately....:(

Yes 421!!! I cast up a bunch of bullets today to firelap the rifle barrel. Several I know say that will slick it up pretty good. the pitting isn't going away but it can be mananged.....so I'm told. I still think it will be be relegated to jacketed bullets....:( That's ok, I have a surfeit and a couple years ago I accidently got into swaging bullets and, part of the package was .358 dies and jackets.....:)

Thank you Wibb....yes it is....lol!!!

Pray tell, what would you know about my cool toys, Bartles?......:love: Geez I miss you guys, how are you two? Would love to see ya'll!!!! We're surviving....mostly by being careful and overlooked.....:)
I didn't site my source.. I got it from Wikipedia.

Reactions: sharps4590

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Pray tell, what would you know about my cool toys, Bartles?......:love::ROFLMAO: Geez I miss you guys, how are you two? Would love to see ya'll!!!! We're surviving....mostly by being careful and overlooked.....:)
Boss says I'm ready, let's go!
We just might have to make that happen one of these days... maybe shoehorn something in between the holidays or right after.

·
Registered
Fly rod!
4,211 Posts
Ol' Sharps is kind of an antique firearm guru around these parts. His knowledge and abilities with antique firearms would no doubt humble many museum curators.
The amazing thing is that he works up bullets and loads for these firearms... and shoots them with great accuracy.
Many of us appreciate him taking us through history with him.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't site my source.. I got it from Wikipedia.
Wiki is usually pretty good, I believe. Drilling is a derivative of "drei", Germang for three, as in "ein, schwei, drei, vier, funf., 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. So it stands to reason, sort of, that a firearm with five barrels would be a "funfling" and, the Germans would certainly be the ones to try it, they could overcomplicate anything. I just never heard of one sooooo...I shall have to look them up! Oh Lord....then Joyce will be afraid I'll want one! I ALMOST owned a vierling but, bought a nice MG-TF instead, the one in my avatar. I'm still not sure I made the right choice.....:unsure:.... 'Course, neither could have been very wrong.

Mike, I don't know. I'll have to check with SWMBO and see what's going on between them. Sounds like something we oughta do!!

manitou, you're too kind.....but, thank you and I'm glad you enjoy them. There's a few in the toy box I've not mentioned on MWT because I didn't think there was much interest here anymore in less than the "newest, latest, greatest, plastic and stainless, flavor of the month."

·
Part-time malcontent
8,330 Posts
Ol' Sharps is kind of an antique firearm guru around these parts.
Also quite knowledgeable on classic fly equipment! I still want to put a grass rod together Vic. Too busy fishing and playing with cars…

1 - 20 of 33 Posts