Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
14,867 Posts
what he said /\/\/\ check anywhere there is water, creek and ponds, behind pond dams etc in the area

·
Registered
9,667 Posts
Wait till 11am tomorrow. The last gut shot buck we tracked the next morning was still alive but was so sick he couldn’t move and it was 11:30am the next day. The track was very tough though following pin drops and we literally almost stepped on him and scared the heck out of my cousin and I. Your best option is a dog because a good dog can track gut shot deer at almost as close to a 100% success rate as you can get. Deer put off a lot of sent from their gland in the foot when hit in the guts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I’m going tomorrow midday to look. Hopefully he will lay down in that draw tonight and die. I’ll report back tomorrow. I’ve never gut shot a deer before, so I’m really beating myself up. It was getting dark and couldn’t see my pins really well.

·
14,867 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I’m going tomorrow midday to look. Hopefully he will lay down in that draw tonight and die. I’ll report back tomorrow. I’ve never gut shot a deer before, so I’m really beating myself up. It was getting dark and couldn’t see my pins really well.
just curious what broad head? FYI: I am not a broad head basher
If got part of liver then it is probably dead now, guts like said above

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
74,367 Posts
Wait at least 8 hours, if he has not been bumped he probably wont go real far.

·
Registered
9,667 Posts
Yeah from the gut content it looks like a straight gut no liver hit. Those take a good long while,def doing the right thing by waiting till midday tomorrow. If he still alive which I doubt ,he will be on his last leg at the very least and you can finish him. Good luck I think you will find him and if not get a dog and he will

1 - 20 of 42 Posts