HVAC question. Specifically air conditioner...

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Hunter79, May 15, 2018 at 10:04 PM.

1. Hunter79

Hunter79 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Maywood, MO
    Before I even start, let me say that i have it all turned off now!

I went outside a bit ago and heard a weird sound coming from my air conditioner compressor. I walked over to it and the fan wasn’t turning (it was humming) and the unit itself was HOT! I ran inside and turned it all off. I came back outside and spun the fan by hand, it turned freely. So, I turned it back on to see if the fan would turn, it still didn’t turn on. It was blowing cold air inside the house but the fan wasn’t turning, only humming.

Again, everything is turned off now, but what could be/is the problem? I’m thinking fan motor or the start capacitor. What do you think? Thanks in advance!

P.S. I really know nothing about these things, this just seems like the logical thing to me.

2. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    With the system on try try spinning the fan with a stick or long screwdriver and see if it takes off

DPx2 likes this.

3. Hunter79

Mar 1, 2008
    Maywood, MO
    Oops. I meant to state that I did that in the original post. Anyway, I did that and it still didn’t turn on. Thanks for pointing that out.

4. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    If it comes on make sure the air is blowing out the top. If not turn it off and when you turn it back on spin it the other direction

5. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    If it didn't come I it could very well be the fan motor

6. Hunter79

Mar 1, 2008
    Maywood, MO
    I tried it both ways with no luck. Just keep humming.

7. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    Without being there my guess is the fan motor. Usually if it's the capacitor the fan will take off

DPx2 and Hunter79 like this.
  8. Hunter79

Mar 1, 2008
    Maywood, MO
    Thanks for the help Pastor. Would you suggest to have someone look at it or try to save money and fix it myself? I’m pretty sure I can figure out how to do it myself but wonder if I’d save enough to warrant that...

9. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    Do you have a place that will sell you the motor? Some places will let you bring your old one in and test it for you. The easiest way is to (With the power off, disclaimer lol) cut the wires and leave the motor attached to the grill and take it in that way. A good supplier will help you know what wires to hook to what colors on your ac..

10. Stonewall1

Stonewall1 Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Take the old motor to a place that sells or rebuilds electric motors. They will match it up to new one they have in stock and you’ll be good to go. They are universal for the most part, you just have to make sure the fan shaft fits it. Be careful when removing the fan blade from the old motor so you don’t bend it.

WBF and Pastor like this.
  11. Hunter79

Mar 1, 2008
    Maywood, MO
    I dont know a place that sells the motor. I’ve never dealt with this before. So, does anyone know of a place around Hannibal or Palmyra, MO OR Quincy IL that sells just the motor?

12. truehunter

truehunter Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Do gave a grainger supply close ?

13. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Might call Richards Electric Motor in Quincy. I used to do a lot of business with them. They’re located on the 400 block of state street.

Clucker and Hunter79 like this.
  14. Yahoo

Yahoo Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    St Charles
    If you do it yourself, the motor is probably around $100. I did this on a rental last year, no big deal, but I also troubleshot it with a meter.

if you can, find the starting capacitor on amazon and replace it also - mine went out a short time apart - so a $35 capacitor is cheap insurance but I couldn't buy that locally without a license as far as in stock somewhere, but I did find mine on amazon. It might not need it, just my experience that they went out close together, and there isn't much else in that outside unit to go bad short of hitting it with a mower.

15. Hunter79

Mar 1, 2008
    Maywood, MO
    Thanks everyone! Archer, i was going to do just that this morning. Hopefully they can get me set up!

16. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
  17. Hunter79

Mar 1, 2008
    Maywood, MO
    I did. I bought a motor for it and changed it out. It wasn’t that. Did the same thing. A friend of mine told me of another guy who I know and he works on them. He said it wouldn’t be the motor, it’d definitely be the capacitor. He happened to have one on hand to get me by until he could get me a new one. (An old joe like me can’t go in and buy a capacitor without a license of some kind) He put his used one on and it runs like a champ. He told me the capacitor goes out pretty commonly when there’s a lightning storm like last night. I was the fourth one in this area that he changed today.

CRE10 likes this.
  18. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    I hate that you bought a motor for it and it didn't need it. Most of the time when it's a capacitor spinning the blades will get it going. Having said that, I keep capacitors on the van so I'll usually try one before I get a motor.

19. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

I have bought A/C capacitors and motors at Grainger. Last house I kept a spare in the garage..

20. Yahoo

Yahoo Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    St Charles
    Also amazon had my capacitor, the question is normally can you wait for 2 day shipping? Some parts are a racket in the HVAC industry like the capacitor, in my opinion, its not like you are going to get into the refrigerant replacing it. But they will sell me electric furnace parts, I've learned way more about HVAC than I wanted...