Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this rifle I guess about 4 years ago and have enjoyed it immensely since. It is not mucked with and hasn't been drilled and tapped and is chambered in the 9.3 X 57 Mauser cartridge that really never caught on anywhere to much extent but Scandinavia. There it was and still is considered fine moose medicine. Simpsons Ltd., in Galesburg, Illinois imported a pile of them and there is a small following now in the US. Mine is on a Mod. 96 Mauser and they also sold a Mod. 146 on the Mod. 98 Mauser.

I made up some more new brass for it from both Winchester and Remington, 30-06 brass. That doesn't take much more than resizing in a 9.3 X 57 die and trimming UNLESS, a fella wants to shoot cast bullets. Then you will have to thin the necks. I do that on my lathe and come up with very good brass.

When I first received the rifle I worked up two loads, one with the Prvi Partizan, 9.3 jacketed bullet at 286 gr. and another with an Accurate Molds bullet at 264 grs. The jacketed load is ok and certainly runs about 500 fps faster than the cast load but the cast load leaves the jacketed bullet in the dust when it comes to accuracy. Sometimes that happens. The cast load worked up is 15 grs. of Unique under an open cell foam filler and the cast, gas checked, lubed bullet. Bullet is basically unsized as I run it through a .372 die to seat the check and lube the bullet.

I'd been wanting to play with it but with all the rain we've had and "life" getting in the way I never had the chance. Well, today I had the chance and I was treated once more to why I like this rifle so much. 3 shots, benched, at 50 yards, open sights, (U-notch and brass bead), fired leisurely. Average velocity, 1544 fps. Extreme spread, 11.5 fps., Average Deviation, 4.5 fps and Standard Deviation, 5.5 fps. Energy at 10 ft. calculates to 1397 fpe, if you put any stock in energy numbers. Frankly, I do not believe the way energy is calculated even makes for a good cartridge to cartridge comparison.

Precision sports Outdoor recreation Indoor games and sports Sports Recreation

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

Wood Air gun Line Trigger Gun accessory

Wood Everyday carry Air gun Shotgun Plant

· King of Callaway
43,382 Posts
That is a beaut, I can see how it could be used on moose, might be slow, but with a 264gr bullet it's going to thump.

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! It is a sweety.

Recoil with the cast, reduced load is mild. Up the velocity to the factory 2100 fps and a 286 gr. bullet and in that light rifle it gets a little thumpy if you sit behind a long string of rounds. Offhand and hunting, as with most others, I doubt it would be noticeable. In simplest terms, it's another medium bore cartridge and load with ballistics more than adequate to take game cleanly and efficiently as far out as one can accurately shoot it. I've taken so much game with similar loads in various cartridges and calibers I can tell you its effect before taking something with it. Change things to the jacketed bullet and higher velocity and a better load than I have worked up and you just have more velocity and recoil. With open sights that's meaningless and I would no more consider scoping that rifle than I would divorcing my wife of 40+ years.

· Perry
401 Posts
That is a great gun Sharps!! I have a weakness for the Mausers and am building a custom M38 Swedish 6.5X55 with unused parts that I bought nearly 30 years ago. I have a little left to do and will try to post pics when it is finished.

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank ye kindly, sir! It's a very basic rifle wherein lies a lot of its charm. As for your build; One of the finest medium game cartridges ever developed. Others are still trying to duplicate it and, what can a fella say about Mauser actions that hasn't already been said...a hundred years ago.

Reactions: Bob58

· Perry
401 Posts
Sharps, I wonder what kind of pressure is developed shooting a 286 grain bullet at 2100fps. My concern is that the gun is a small ring Mauser and the recommendations that I have seen is for 45,000 lbs. as a max, some said cup, others said psi. Beautiful gun by one of the worlds greatest gun and ammo designer.

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 9.3 is on a small ring, '96 Mauser and it digests that load just fine. I'll have to check but I think that 45K is CUP. The load you describe was the standard for the 9.3 X 57 since its inception, in all rifles, and I can't believe any ammo maker would load an older cartridge over pressure. A lot like the main stream factory 45-70 and 8 X 57 loads in this country, safe in any rifle.

I don't believe my jacketed handloads are loaded quite that fast. I'm thinking just over 2000 fps. and I know my cast loads aren't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.