Hurt hen

Discussion in 'Turkey Photo Gallery' started by UrbanHunter, Jan 21, 2017.

1. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Well-Known Member

Looks like she's missing some feathers on her head, too.
    Car?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGycSe88iN4&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

2. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    That looks like the hen in my back yard.???????

Had a mature hen and a poult each with a bad leg. I am thinking some one had some type of trap out and they got their leg caught in it.

The hen's foot is black now and she cannot put it down at all. The younger one has slowly been able to walk on it, like your video shows...

3. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Well-Known Member

I guess that's possible. But I don't know anyone trapping up here.
    Do foxes go after grown turkeys?

4. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    The mother hen has not been seen in a couple weeks?

We have a small fox running around but the turkeys are bigger then it is.

Below our bluff where we live I found a pile of possums that I think some one was trapping. We had a family of raccoons last year and now just one shows up, So I think someone is trapping around here even though it is illegal...

5. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    We had a hurt hen that hung around our bird feeders in the backyard for about a week. She looked to be in bad shape and since we have both coyotes and grey fox that visit the yard and back field often I didn't give her much of a chance to make it. Don't know what happened to her, she just wasn't around anymore.

6. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Doubt her injury is from a trap but I do think it was caused by a coyote or loose running dog. The main tendon on her leg has been almost yanked away from the leg. You can see daylight between the bone and tendon in a freeze frame as she walks. Doubt if she gets any better but will have a permanent gimp in her walk. As long as she can fly she should make it fine. If this were to happen in the spring or summer blow flies would be a big problem for her but since its still winter she should heal up before the flies start coming out from hibernation.

Attached Files:

7. gravedigger

gravedigger Senior Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Bland mo
    I know when I had chickens and turkeys,,, I would sometimes find one with a foot caught in between 2 boards or in the fencing. I guess she could have got it caught in a fork of a limb or maybe some old wire laying around.

8. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon