Hunting with a pistol

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by wildbill, Nov 9, 2010.

1. wildbill

wildbill Senior Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Warrensburg MO
    Anybody out there hunt with a pistol during gun season? If so what kind and what are some of the challenges that you would run into that you wouldn't with a conventional rifle?

2. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    #1 to scope or not to scope; you would have to find a quality scope or limit your shots to 50-75 yds
    #2 A handgun is harder to keep steady so plan on some kind of rest
    #3 No round that doesn't start with a 4 or bigger
    #4 Plan on how you will carry it; carrying 4# of revolver and scope gets tiring fast
    #5 Practice, practice practice; make sure you can shoot a big revolver without flinching
    #6 If the gun hurts you to shoot it then you can't make the shot when it counts; be sure you can handle the punishment of the larger rounds

I have hunted with a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag and made a 65 yd shot on a yote with it. Never got to take a deer with it but I felt I could. Hope this helps.

3. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    I am hunting with a pistol(if you can call it that) this year for the first time. It is a savage striker. It is a bolt action pistol that has a 16" brl and is in 308 winchester. It will shoot 5 round groups with both remington 150gr and federal 150gr ammo under 2" at 100 yards off the bench to the same point of impact. I have a 2X swift pistol scope on the gun. The 2X scope will be fine deer hunting, but makes target shooting at 100 yards fun...LOL

I have a LOT of confidence in the gun since I shot about 15-20 groundhogs out to about 200-225 yards with it this summer with the 22-250 brl and a 10X target pistol scope. It shot consistently under 3/4" with factory loads.

I also have a model 20 glock 10mm that I am considering packing some.

thanks and good luck
    citori

4. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    [rquote=1887089&tid=131468&author=wildbill]Anybody out there hunt with a pistol during gun season? If so what kind and what are some of the challenges that you would run into that you wouldn't with a conventional rifle?[/rquote]

I carry my .45 acp with me. I've taken quite a few deer within 50 yards with it. Epically if you jump one as your walking.

5. wildbill

wildbill Senior Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Warrensburg MO
    Thanks guys, lots of good info.

citori,
    where is a good place to find a pistol scope? It seems bass pro and cabelas dont have any, online at least.

sand_manms,
    thanks for the tips, i was wanting to use a taurus .357 model 66. it has a 6" barrel and 7 round capacity (although i plan on only needing one) i understand it will cut down on distance conciderably and it also looks like I should plan on investing in some sticks.

Also practice, practice, practice

6. wildbill

wildbill Senior Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Warrensburg MO
    [rquote=1887301&tid=131468&author=conradtactical][rquote=1887089&tid=131468&author=wildbill]Anybody out there hunt with a pistol during gun season? If so what kind and what are some of the challenges that you would run into that you wouldn't with a conventional rifle?[/rquote]

I carry my .45 acp with me. I've taken quite a few deer within 50 yards with it. Epically if you jump one as your walking.[/rquote]

I have a Sig Saur P226 .40 I was contemplating on taking some as well, but I only feel comfortable with up close and personnal shots with that. i was thinking 30 yrds max.

7. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    Don't use a 9mm. I learned that lesson the HARD way. I used to carry a 9 as a on duty gun, and brought it to deer camp one year.

All a 9mm will do is mame a deer. I shot it three times with +P ammo, LE issue only, and twice in the skull. The bullet never penetrated the skull. I even took pictures, if I can find them I will post them. Ever since that day, I carried a .45 as a backup gun on duty. Now, I'm out of the service and carry a .45 every day as a carry gun.

A .45 acp JHP 230 grain bullet will destroy a deer skull.

8. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    Pistol scopes are not really easy to find. The gun shops MIGHT have one or two. Ordering one is the best bet. A decent "cheaper" pistol scope is the bushnell trophy. I use midwayusa.com a lot myself.

When using a "traditional pistol" you should try to use heavy for caliber bullets. There are a LOT of serious pistol hunters that STRONGLY suggest Hardcast lead flatpoints over everything else.

The 357 mag is on the smaller side. I would suggest 158gr flatpoints as the smallest....and rather see you use hardcast or flatpoint 180gr.

Doubletap ammo makes some good hardcast heavy for caliber ammo in all the above mentioned calibers.

I would suggest IF you use hollow points designated for self defence use the HEAVY grain NON plus P(slower loads usualy expand less and have better penatration)and take only BROADSIDE ribcage shots....no shoulder shots. These bullets were made for FAST expansion and not deep penatration.
    Some examples of heavy for caliber bullets are
    9mm/147gr
    40cal-10mm/175-180gr
    45cal/230gr
    357/158minimum-180(preferred)
    44mag/240grain minimum-300gr+preferred

Thanks
    citori

9. MajorWyss

MajorWyss New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Audrain
    I carry my Kel-Tec PF-9 with me. I would never try to shoot a deer with it though.

10. Trad-hunter

Trad-hunter Active Member

Oct 22, 2007
    S W Mo.
    I will be carrying my ruger super blackhawk 44mag. along with my also this year. I prefer to shoot my wheel guns open sighted so as to have a faster on target time. As far as a holster I like to carry on my hip but it gets very heavy after a while. A bandoleer holster isnt a bad way to carry a pistol while hunting.

11. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Wildbill, you can use the .357 but as citori suggested you should use hard cast bullets. My BIL hunted with a 357 with normal self defence hollow points. We saw a round explode on a deers shoulder and did not penertrate. We found the deer and finished it off but that one shoulder was wasted.

12. sambo3006

sambo3006 Active Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Christian County
    I've killed a couple of deer with my Ruger Blackhawk .41 mag, open sighted. I consider a handgun a weapon of opportunity. I'll usually carry it as a sidearm and use it if the opportunity presents itself. If you are hunting only with a handgun, I would suggest some shooting sticks or a rail on your tree stand to steady yourself. Even with that, you are pretty much limited to about 75 yards for effective shot placement. That is an important consideration on where you set up. It can be a neat challange.

13. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    I've carried my 44 mag a few times with me. Some day I would sure like to kill a deer with it. No luck so far though.

14. mohunter32

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    Also remember, to stay legal, the magazine in your pistol can not hold more than 10 rounds. If it does, you need to plug it.

15. BigJake

BigJake New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    [rquote=1887302&tid=131468&author=wildbill]Thanks guys, lots of good info.

citori,
    where is a good place to find a pistol scope? It seems bass pro and cabelas dont have any, online at least.

sand_manms,
    thanks for the tips, i was wanting to use a taurus .357 model 66. it has a 6" barrel and 7 round capacity (although i plan on only needing one) i understand it will cut down on distance conciderably and it also looks like I should plan on investing in some sticks.

Also practice, practice, practice
    [/rquote]

I carry an S&W 627 with me while hunting. I use 158 grain JSP rounds for it. I've never shot a deer with the pistol, but I also have a Marlin lever gun in .357 mag as well and use the same round. It will put the smack down on a deer. Good luck with the pistol. :cheers:

16. wildbill

wildbill Senior Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Warrensburg MO
    Looks like hard cast bullets are the way to go, I don't want one shattering on impact and leaving a wounded animal. Also from what i am getting from all of these great responses is that a pistol is probabaly going to be a weapon of opportunity. I'll probabaly just carry it as a side arm with my savage .308 and hope the opportunity presents itself.

17. wildbill

wildbill Senior Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Warrensburg MO
    [rquote=1887473&tid=131468&author=mohunter32]Also remember, to stay legal, the magazine in your pistol can not hold more than 10 rounds. If it does, you need to plug it.[/rquote]

I looked into that and seen that it can only hold ten. I have a clip that holds 12 and 10 so I'll just save the 12 rnd mag for the home defense rounds.:2thumbsup:

18. Johnny

Johnny Crossbows!!!!

Sep 30, 2010
    Linn Co.
    I hunt with a Ruger super blackhawk bisley hunter 44 with a 2x6x32 scope . I carry mine in a sidekick and I do not snap it to my belt . I shoot 3-400 rounds leading up to rifle season just to make a couple of shots at deer and I will not shoot more than 50 - 60 yards . It is a lot easier to make a mistake with a 7 1/2in barrel than it is with a 22in barrel . Best advice I can give you is do a lot of practicing then decide from there what range you are comfortable with and stick with it .

19. mohunter32

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    [rquote=1887484&tid=131468&author=wildbill][rquote=1887473&tid=131468&author=mohunter32]Also remember, to stay legal, the magazine in your pistol can not hold more than 10 rounds. If it does, you need to plug it.[/rquote]

I looked into that and seen that it can only hold ten. I have a clip that holds 12 and 10 so I'll just save the 12 rnd mag for the home defense rounds.:2thumbsup:[/rquote]

:eek::

20. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    I have a summit titan climbing stand so I have a rail all the way around my stand for a rest. I am also fine tuning a folding rest that adjust to different heights on my stand now. Most places that I hunt are in the woods so about 75 yards is the max shot for me. This is the first year for me to hunt deer with the savage striker pistol. I also have a ten round mag for the glock 10mm.

good luck to you all
    citori