hunting with a .44 mag revolver couple questions

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by mobapkid84, Nov 9, 2010.

1. mobapkid84

mobapkid84 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    NW Mo
    hey guys,

Ive always wanted to kill a deer with a revolver....

just acquired a ruger super redhawk in .44 mag

what do you recommend for bullet weight for deer?

any favorie handloads? please tell me powder and primers/bullets

any tips for accuracy 50-80yds

2. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Oak Grove, Missouri
    Kind of late to try and see what your gun likes, and doesn't like. I have a 6 inch S&W 44 mag Model 29, and I prefer to shoot the Gold Dot 240 grain hollow points, they have the most energy of any factory load I have found. You need to go to a range or shooting area and bench shoot it to see where its at. Then you will need to shoot in the same fashion that you will be hunting, so you will know if you can hit what your aiming at. Any 180-300 grain expanding bullet will work for whitetail deer. But you will need to use the same ammo that you test your pistol with. Chris

3. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Oak Grove, Missouri
    Also, ammo may be hard to find, pretty sure Wal-Mart only carries the Remington stuff, but some gun shops have other brands. Whatever you choose, your skill level with that pistol will determine how far you can shoot at a deer. I have shot mine out to 100 yards on people sized targets, and hit where I wanted to but would keeep my shots on a deer within 50 yards. Go to Midway USA's website and you can read reviews on the various 44 Mag ammo they sell. Chris

4. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I used the same gun years ago because it got to easy to kill a deer with a rifle. Figured it would be cool to take one with a handgun and it was three different times. I went back to rifles after that. I didn't like the fact that when I shot the deer even through and through the heart it still ran off a ways but always dropped within sight. I was used to my rifle dropping them in their tracks.

My suggestion would be the Hornady Custom Handgun Ammunition in 44 Rem. Mag in 300 grain JHP-XTP. They run @ $21 at Cabelas for a 20 round box. The bigger the slug the better IMO.

Good Luck.

5. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    I suggest a hard cast solid in the 300 gr range. The 240 JHP will work but not the best.

6. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    [rquote=1888669&tid=131572&author=Mailman]My suggestion would be the Hornady Custom Handgun Ammunition in 44 Rem. Mag in 300 grain JHP-XTP. They run @ $21 at Cabelas for a 20 round box. The bigger the slug the better IMO.
    [/rquote]

That is a TOUGH round to find in stock. RRman and I have been chasing them down for the last 2 years!

He found some in a gun store over the summer though.

Parker

7. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    [rquote=1888708&tid=131572&author=sand_manms]http://www.hornady.com/store/searchammo.php?mode=search&main_cat=250&categoryid%5B%5D=260&categoryid%5B%5D=427&categoryid%5B%5D=412&x=8&y=10

you can order them online[/rquote]

:D And they will promptly send you a backorder message with a date about 6 months out, and then when that time is almost here, they will send you another message continuing the wait for another 6 months. :D

So, you call them, and find out......they REALLY don't KNOW when they are going to get some done to get to you. :D

Parker

8. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
  9. Monofletch

Monofletch Senior Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Midwest
    My Dan Wesson has a 9" barrel. It likes heavier bullets.

I want to try these..........

Barnes Buster™ A deep-penetrating handgun and lever rifle bullet intended for hunting bear, wild boar, moose, bison, buffalo and other large—even dangerous—game. The bullet features a thick copper jacket and a heavy lead core, resulting in minimal expansion, deep penetration and maximum weight retention.

10. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    I would suggest something in the 300gr range. Hardcast being the best, but flatpoint second best. IF you decide to use a hollow point I suggest the hornady XTP bullet or partition bullet. Try to go 300gr, but no lower than 240, and if u use 240 gr try to get only flatpoint not hollow point. Avoid a shoulder shot unless u are using something like a 300+grain hardcast. With lighter bullets and ESPECIALLY any hollow point take ribcage shot only.

Factory loads I suggest are the 300gr hornady XT, federal castcore 300gr hardcast, and winchester partition or platinum tip.

I have a buddy that is going to try the hornady 225gr leverevolution load. It should be ok since they are supposed to perform up to rifle velocity.

thanks
    citori

11. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    [rquote=1888891&tid=131572&author=citori]I have a buddy that is going to try the hornady 225gr leverevolution load. It should be ok since they are supposed to perform up to rifle velocity.

thanks
    citori[/rquote]

Didn't know they had a .44 round out there like that! I'll be interested to hear about his results.

Is he shooting it out of a pistol? Are they supposed to be shot out of pistol?

RRman has a pistol, and a lever gun that takes .44. They're both pretty darn fun to shoot!

Parker

12. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    Yes, they are listed in cabelas as pistol/rifle leverevolution loads. I have killed a deer with the leverevolution loads out of my 45-70. It was a bang flop. I have shot the 225gr leverevolution load in my 44mag ruger super blackhawk and it is noticibly louder and has more recoil than a lot of standard 240gr loads. He is shooting this load out of a 7.5" brl ruger super redhawk with a 2-6 power bushnell scope.

I would just try to avoid most lighter "self defense" hollow point type pistol ammo. It is designed for fast expansion not deep penatration. It will kill a deer, but might have problems with bone and probably wont leave an exit hole needed for tracking. If you do use a hollow point round try to take nothing but ribcage shots.

Double tap ammo, buffalo bore, grizzley, and corbon load MOST pistol ammo up to MAX SAMI specifications. Which is usually considerably hotter than standard factory loads.

If you handload look in most reloading books. There are usually some special 44 mag loads listed as "use only in ruger/contender". The redhawk/super readhawk ruger is one of the strongest (factory)if not the STRONGEST 44 mag pistol. It will take a steady diet of VERY VERY heavy loads(both powder and bullet gr) without any problems. It will handle very heavy hardcast lead loads considerably faster/heavier than most other 44 mag pistols. It has a longer cyl that will allow you to use heavy cast/jacketed bullets that can be seated out longer than standard loads. This longer cyl. lets you seat bullets further out which in turn allows more powder capacity and gets higher velocity with less pressure!

If I use my glock 10mm this year I am going to shoot the 175gr winchester silver tip load. It was designed in 175 gr to hold together at REAL 10mm velocities. This load is listed at 1290fps(silver tip 41 mag load from winchester is listed at 1240fps). Most factory 10mm loads are down loaded to the 1000-1100fps 40SW type velocity, but the winchester ST is close to the old "norma" real 10mm loads. I will shoot this load at bow ranges and take only broadside shots and avoid the shouder! Double tap loads a 200gr hardcast WFN load at 1350fps and a hardcast WFN 230gr at 1150 for my 10mm. The 10mm loaded up to its full potential is between a 357mag and 41 mag. Most common (federal, remington, winchester) loads in the 10mm are only about 50fps faster than 40SW, but the real loads in it are @ 250fps faster than 40SW.

thanks
    citori

13. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    As far as accuracy tips. Try to rig up some type of rest. We made an approx. 10" tall set of adjustable shooting sticks that will go over my treestand rail with U shaped brackets. I can adjust height and move em around my climbing stand. Just remember to keep you hands and any rest away from the front of the pistols cyl.....it will mangle fingers and sandbags when it goes off.

My buddies gun shoots about dip can size groups from a bench rest at 50 yards. Practice with a pistol is VERY important. How u squeeze the trigger can make your groups move around the target.

later
    citori

14. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Four days before the season... I'd suggest that you use it next year, and take your time figuring this all out.

15. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    I use the Hornady 225gr Leverevolution in my Super Redhawk, with the 7.5" barrel.

Accuracy is...practice, practice, practice. I went hog hunting with my Redhawk last Feb. I Shot 2 times a week for over a month before the trip and I was shooting 18 rounds at each session. I could shoot accurately out to 150yds.

I have not shot the Redhawk again until this past weekend when I decided that I was going to hunt opening weekend with it. 50 yards I was all over the place. Still might take it depending on which stand I am in but at this point shots selection will be greatly reduced.

MJO

16. NOTPOSTAL

NOTPOSTAL Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Dont forget your ear protection, the last deer I shot with my 44 I had forgot to put in ear plugs and couldn't hear for days.

17. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    beings its gonna be too tough to find ammo and all...you can just give me the gun and the headache of huntin down suitable ammo:claphands:

18. Did you drop your buck with the .44 or your 30-06? I KNOW you didn't use the 270!!

19. Detrhoyt

Detrhoyt Horny D

Oct 26, 2008
    Work
    I never shot a deer with my Super Blackhawk, but I get the best accuracy:distance results with 240gr. slugs. I imagine they will still put a nice-sized hole through any deer unfortunate enough to get within range of you.:claphands: