Hunting unkown ground

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by shortmag, Mar 11, 2006.

1. shortmag

shortmag New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Going to Manistee Michigan on a draw hunt opening weekend. Being the novice that I am, I was wanting advice on:
    1) the best way to locate birds on public land.
    2) the dos and donts of setting up on birds in a hurry
    3) Is there much use in driving around and just trying to
    spot them?
    4) Finally, the best way to roost birds the night before the
    the next days hunt.

Thanks

2. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    1. I would suggest researchin online all the info you can about the place, if you havent been able to scout it previously. Locator calls always work good.. owl, crow, hawk etc.

2. Do be as quiet as possible when hurrying into a place. Do get your mask on set up, gun in the ready position and before you start calling, give yourself several seconds to catch your breath. Do make sure of your surroundings, the general layout of where you are etc.. dont want em hangin up on ya 25 y ards away through thick stuff and not get a shot. Do NOT get too close.. In the spring if its GREEN everywhere... trust me bro they ARE closer then you think..

3. Yes.. i do that from time to time when bored, can more or less forget about puttin the sneak on em, but if you can spot em in the afternoon where they are feeding.. might be a good idear to get back to that rough general area.

4. Get out in the woods, use number 3 to your benefit.. watch em in the afternoon (not sure what time shooting closes in mi tho) be silent dont call to em... watch where they go.. dark 30 hoot a few times and even if you dont get a gobble you might get a hen or 2 to sound off to let ya know their location.

Theres so much more to it.. i could type for hours, but my last suggestion.. get out there, have fun and DONT get down on yourself if things work out, if it works perfectly once you should be happy turks are odd creatures and make the best of em mad when they dont work like they "normally" do..

Good luck :cheers: