Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have been a member for a while, but very rarely post. I check the site probably 3 - 4 times a day and read every post and really like all of the pictures and advice that comes from this site. That is why I feel I will get some honest opinions from you on a situation that I have been dealing with.

The Situation:
I have been hunting on our family farm for a lot of years now and have been blessed to kill some amazing whitetails off of it. I continuely try to improve the whitetail enviroment by planting food plots and taking care of the farm. Out of all the family that hunts I am the only one that bow hunts and truly love being over there as much as I can. I believe in being a true and ethical hunter and following all of the rules. It seems that there is one individual that does not feel the same and only thinks about himself when comes to hunting. He has been deer hunting on the farm for many years, but is not blood relation on the side of the family that runs and takes care of the farm.

I am trying to give some background before I give you the situation, sorry for dragging it on.

As of the past few years he has felt the need not follow the rules and carry on in his own free will. Every year it bothers me more and more and last year pushed me over the limit. He shot a big buck, but before he new that he had missed it or killed it he tried shooting at another bigger buck that was following it, possibly having hit both. To me that is not right and I was infuriated, but he ended up missing both. Then later ended up shooting and button buck just because he was bound and determined to kill something. This same individual does not care for deer meat and we ended up skinning and processing it because he did not show up to help. I have talked with the family and they all agree with me on this matter, but will not say anything. I have come to the decision I am going to talk to him. Do you think I should give him a chance to follow the farm rules or just tell him he has to find another place to hunt?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Plain and simple Follow the RULES or find some where else to hunt. If he killed both bucks and the law was involved do you think they would not include you in the ticket writing? I wouldn't want to risk losing my hunting privilage over some dumb:***:. Just my .02

·
PURE KILLER
38,011 Posts
Originally posted by r2ahunter
Plain and simple Follow the RULES or find some where else to hunt. If he killed both bucks and the law was involved do you think they would not include you in the ticket writing? I wouldn't want to risk losing my hunting privilage over some dumb:***:. Just my .02
i concur,sorry i was on jury duty last couple of months i can't get out of my system:D

·
Registered
135 Posts
The old rules die hard in some folks. I have been preaching for years about this specific issue. I have actually convinced several of them to not only follow the rules, but to preach it to the young one they are around. Some are slower to change. These are the issues the courts can't help us with really. If you call the law, you pretty much end association and they just go elsewhere to hunt the same way. Try setting rules first. The people we have personal contact with we have a chance to work with, and such actions are usually much more successful than the court's ways are.

·
Registered
12,620 Posts
Frankly, he does not seem to be much of a hunter in the first place. Seems he's just out to shoot. There is also the possibility that he did actually wound those bucks and spent no effort in trying to recover them. If he just want to shoot things, tell him to bring and .22 and have at all the tree rats that he can but the place is closed during deer season. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You didn't say what your rules were but I assume by your posts that you only allow shooting mature deer and to follow the letter of the law. Sounds simple enough if that's the case.

I agree with most here to inform him he should do what the rest of you do or go some where else. But you should tell him soon so he can think it over or find another place. I would also make it clear that helping out and giving you a hand once in a while is part of the deal. If he's serious about hunting he'll probably come around to your way of thinking.

·
5,631 Posts
I assume he already knows the rules. I say that you've given him his chance. Boot him.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I am taking it you been bottling this all inside untill now,if you have been telling him every year what the rules are then boot him but if no one has said anything before you need to talk to him and give him a chance,then if he doesnt change boot him,good luck

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Originally posted by jpeters79

He shot a big buck, but before he new that he had missed it or killed it he tried shooting at another bigger buck that was following it, possibly having hit both. To me that is not right and I was infuriated,
All other factors in this equation aside, the above act gets him booted from our place.

My Dad and I are the most easy going people alive when it comes to allowing people to hunt. But by the same token, if someone forks up, justice is quick and to the point, and there ain't no jury involved. We've booted people for less than the above. Most notably the guy that was supposed to be archery hunting during rifle season (the rules on that particular property) who went to the truck in the middle of the afternoon and got his rifle, then commenced to shoot a 150"+ buck. It was almost a deer of a lifetime for him. Good thing too cause him and ALL of his buddies are no longer allowed.

Get rid of him. Now! Chances are from the sound of things he won't even really care.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
People like that really hack me off. There are people like myself that would do just about anything to be able to hunt on private property and people like that make it even harder to get permission. I hunt conservation grounds and am very thankfull that this state has such an abundant opportunity to do so but it still isnt like hunting on private grounds with a limited number of people on it. When you get to know the owners they should be like extended family in my opinon. I even offer to help with farm choirs when asking but doesnt seem to matter so I will continue to hunt conservation grounds for now. I would give him a chance to follow the rules and if he doesnt I would ask him to find another place to hunt from now on.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.