hunting scrapes

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by carbonslinger, Oct 27, 2010.

1. carbonslinger

carbonslinger New Member

Dec 25, 2008
    bethany,mo
    I have a stand that has 3 scrapes one of which is very large and the other 2 are pretty big them selves all withing 25 yards of my stand and was thinking about hunting that spot.the wind is going to be right most of the weekend for that spot.just wanted to know some opinions on whether its a good time to hunt scrapes.any imput would be great.

2. RLAWhitetails

RLAWhitetails New Member

Oct 16, 2010
    You can hunt the scrapes, I have only killed one deer from a scrape and it was a mock scrape. I like to hunt down wind of a scrape line and not actualy on the scrape. Though I do have a stand on a pair of scrapes at this time and plan to hunt it early November but it's in a great location for crusing bucks. I know guys that have killed monsters on scrapes it's just that I havent had a lot of luck on them.

3. 160983

160983 Guest

I am setup on some scrapes and getting alot of activity - but I also setup a trailcam beforehand to ensure I knew when they were using them. I am on a scrape line that has about 12 scrapes over a 175 yard treeline which borders a bedding area. I have a trail cam pic of the buck I want going to a scrape at 7:12pm and me walking by the same trail cam at 7:15 pm when leaving my stand. That same night he followed some does out into the field. I now know what snorted at me.... Good luck and happy hunting.:cheers:

4. twn417

twn417 Senior Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Southern Illinois
    Now would.be the best time to try

5. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I'd say 80% or more of all scrape activity happens in the dark.....:thinking:

Hunting between the scrapes and a bedding area might be your best shot....:shrug:

6. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1867115&tid=129982&author=callaojoe]I'd say 80% or more of all scrape activity happens in the dark.....:thinking:

Hunting between the scrapes and a bedding area might be your best shot....:shrug:[/rquote]

I'd rather invest my time in a good pinch point where I know the does will be traveling though. Most of my experience with scrapes is they happen mostly in the dark.

7. Mofireman39

Mofireman39 Member

Aug 21, 2010