Hunting Pacific Palisades

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by Mississippi1, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Mississippi1

Mississippi1 New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I just moved to MO for school and I am trying my hand at hunting public land. I called my local conservation officer and she said Pacific Palisades was my best bet. Anyone ever hunted there or hunted there recently? Any tips for a man who grew up on pine farms and food plots?

Thank you.

You can't kill em if you don't go.

2. BackyardBandit

BackyardBandit Don't mind me

Jan 12, 2012
    West St. Louis Co.
    Get to walking or get a boat. There are deer there. I wouldn't waste much time waiting for one to hit an open field personally.

3. Mississippi1

Mississippi1 New Member

Sep 13, 2017

Thanks for the advice. I have looked over the map and picked some spots that hopefully are worth walking to. So stay off the row crops?

4. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bring a Thermacell if you have one. The mosquitoes will eat you alive!

Clucker likes this.
  5. BackyardBandit

BackyardBandit Don't mind me

Jan 12, 2012
    West St. Louis Co.
    I would say the deer hunter/hiker/dove/squirrel hunting pressure will keep them out of the crops during daylight this time of year. I've never messed around in the wooded hills near the parking lot, but I know there are deer in the river bottoms.

6. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    The further from STL you get, the lighter the pressure on public ground..... So, decide if you want to drive to get more solititude, or sleep in and fight the crowds.... :D

7. Mississippi1

Mississippi1 New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I've got one. Hunting in MS you need to have one.

8. Mississippi1

Mississippi1 New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    The river bottoms towards the northern end of the property?

9. Mississippi1

Mississippi1 New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    T
    That's a great point but I'm hoping to walk just a little further than most are willing to go. Thanks for the advice.

10. Mississippi1

Mississippi1 New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    My next question to everyone is when does the rut hit up here? Back home it would really take off until around Christmas? I've read as early as Halloween but as late as Thanksgiving.

11. Jamos09

Jamos09 New Member

Oct 12, 2016
    November 15 plus or minus one day is the peak day of breeding.

12. Stlouisaaron

Stlouisaaron Member

Jan 5, 2014
    St. Louis
    I hunt Pacific every year. Lots of take trails, lots of deer. Not overwhelming number of people as it is archery only (in my opinion). The week or so before rifle season is usually a great time to be in the woods - at least the past 3 years.

legacybohunter likes this.