Hunting in Two Man Tree Stand or Ground

Discussion in 'Youth Hunts & Photos' started by ckbuck, Oct 26, 2010.

1. ckbuck

ckbuck New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    I have been debating on whether to buy a two man ladder stand for my daughter and I for youth season. The place I have been seeing a ton of deer has weeds to high to sit on the ground. I have a couple other places that we could go but would sit on the ground. Debating on buying the stand tonight and getting it setup or just hunting the ground else where.

2. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    Hard decision there. :thinking:Plus, your short on time.

If you can get a double stand up there, I'd do it. I'd hate for you to move to a location that doesn't have deer movement, just to be on the ground.

3. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    The kiddos can get away with movement pretty good if you buy a piece of the camo burlap and wrap it around the shooting rail on the stand. the ones Wally world sells fit perfect. I use shower curtain hangers to connect them to my stands. but you can use safety pins too.
    And visibility is much better from a stand.

without question, be sure to strap her in!

4. Spartan46

Spartan46 New Member

Shoot a rage and cut all those weeds down

5. conradtactical

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    [rquote=1863217&tid=129734&author=Spartan46]Shoot a rage and cut all those weeds down[/rquote]:stirpot::smiley:

6. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

I've got a 2-man stand you can borrow if you are close.

7. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I started my boys in ground blinds. And, they killed deer.

But, they started to enjoy the experience a whole lot more, when we started hunting from the 2 man ladder stands. Being able to see what's going on all around you, made the hunt a whole lot more fun for them.... And, kept em in the stand longer.

8. skull stacker

skull stacker Active Member

Sep 3, 2008
    SEMO
    I have a two man ladder on a fence row between to grown up fields. My boy is 8 and he does real good climbing in and out. (He goes first going up and second coming down so I can catch him if he falls) But most of the deer movement is back in the timber some, so I was going to buy a new blind but he want us to build one. So we went to the home depot and build one. 4X6 and 5 feet tall. I have a bunch of pictures but I'm waiting till he kills something to post the whole story. I know it's a little late to build one, but we had a great time working on it. He painted it and came up with some good ideas to make it more comfortable. The whole process of building and scouting has been an awesome expereince to say the least.

9. conradtactical

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    Walmart has 15' 2 person ladders on sale for $89.

10. ckbuck

ckbuck New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    [rquote=1863233&tid=129734&author=conradtactical]Walmart has 15' 2 person ladders on sale for $89.[/rquote]

That is the one I was looking at getting. Figure I would put it up tonight where I have been seeing deer.

11. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    One of the keys to helping youth enjoy hunts, is that they see game. they dont have to shoot it to get excited and I would go with the ladder stand. Get some burlap like mentioned, and also attach some cedar limbs and or oak limbs with leaves. It really helps break the outline and let your child get away with more movement. Plus the kids like being in something like that with brush and cover. I think it makes them feel more in the hunt......my .02

Good luck and be safe :cheers:

12. BustinBucks

BustinBucks I will use the report button

Jul 31, 2006
    Eagleville, MO
    I always like being in the air personally.

13. ckbuck

ckbuck New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Done deal. I'm going to go get the 2 man ladder stand and set it up tonight. Will have her go with me so we might be able to sit for a while while I bow hunt.

14. skull stacker

skull stacker Active Member

Sep 3, 2008
    SEMO
    [rquote=1863625&tid=129734&author=ckbuck]Done deal. I'm going to go get the 2 man ladder stand and set it up tonight. Will have her go with me so we might be able to sit for a while while I bow hunt.[/rquote]

Just spray down real good with scent away and be as scent cautious as possible.

15. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1863625&tid=129734&author=ckbuck]Done deal. I'm going to go get the 2 man ladder stand and set it up tonight. Will have her go with me so we might be able to sit for a while while I bow hunt.[/rquote]

Awesome

And the BEST suggestion I woulda came up with you are solving tonight, have her get used to setting in there they are different for sure.

Id suggest some sort of unloaded rifle gun etc to take along so she can get comfortable with it in the stand as well. (although you might not want to take your bow then, legality reasons)

Good luck

16. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1863233&tid=129734&author=conradtactical]Walmart has 15' 2 person ladders on sale for $89.[/rquote]

is that the Remington? if so, i'm going up and getting my $30, i just bought one for $119 :mad2:

17. Hunter71

Hunter71 Active Member

Jun 10, 2009
    saline county
  18. ckbuck

ckbuck New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Just picked it up last night and hanging it this afternoon. Took the daughter yesterday to walk around and she was cracking me up. We are going to sit in it tonight and hopefully see a few that I can shoot at.

19. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi

Bought one of these several years ago and now my son in law has it. worked good for me.