Hunting in the wind?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Hunta4Life19, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Hunta4Life19

Hunta4Life19 New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Tommorow I plan to be sick from school because I would like to get out in the woods to maybe down my first gobbler..I checked out the weather said its going to be rainy and winds to 10 20 mph..Its not the rain im worried about the wind, I have never hunted for turks in the wind..I went out sunday morning to scout it was awsome I heard and saw so much turkey action. Couldnt even sleep monday night made me sick so I dont think I can make it to school tommorow..any suggestions??:neuspeuter:

2. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Bring a box call in a gallon zip-lock bag (so you can play it in the bag). Box calls get loud enough to cut through the wind.

Good luck! :cheers: (That's rootbeer!)

Parker

3. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    yessir box calls and slates will be your bestest friend in the wind :D

4. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    And if it IS actually windy, don't plan on hunting out of a ground blind, it will shake in the wind. Its better to get wet then have that bugger shaking.

Parker

5. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    and be patient.. many times have had em gobble and then shut up as they came in.. and other times they jus came in with no gobblin.. the wind can do mean things to em vocally wise... iffin ya got a good idear where they be, jus get there if they dont gobble jus relax

6. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    And since you're gonna be sick, don't go to coughin' as they're coming in! That'll scare 'em off every time! :D

Parker

7. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    it appears a couple people on this board has skipped school before during turkey season.:rotfl:

8. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    :toilet: i would have never done a thing like that...:rotfl:

9. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

skipping school? :horse: just to kill a turkey :roll2:

Take a baggy and some gore-tex

10. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    I used to skip many a day to duck hunt.:eek: I try to set up when it is windy on a tree line that blocks the wind to a degree and upwind of the turks if I can.. The wind will carry your calling towards the birds that way. Turkeys live outdoors all year long in all kinds of weather and I don't think the wind has as much an effect on turks as some people think it does.

Jack

11. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    House rule was one day of skip for gun deer season, one day of skip for spring turkey, and one day of skip for crappie fishing whenever I wanted to pick the day. Per school year.

Of course I had the grades to back it up too.... :roll2:

(and I skipped a WHOLE lot more than that in college!)

Parker

12. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Probably chasin' girls.:roll2:

Jack:hysterical: