hunting in the rain, Saturday? are you going?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by bigredhusker, Apr 28, 2006.

1. bigredhusker

bigredhusker Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Liberty Missouri
    First Time Turkey hunter... what do you do different in the rain (that is if you go?)... Do you go ?
    What do the turkeys do?
    thanks

Here's the forecast:

7am T-Showers 53°F 100% chance of rain
    8am T-Showers 54°F 80% chance of rain
    9am Scattered T-Storm 50% chance of rain
    10am Scattered T-Storm 50% chance of rain
    11am Scattered T-Storm 50% chance of rain

2. mrclean

mrclean New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Harrisburg
    Bigred...

Turkey's are hard to predict, but in the rain you can expect the following (from my experience):

- subdued gobbling in general, but will still be scattered hot birds
    - birds will spend more time in open ground than usual (instead of thick woodsy brush)
    - moisture will soak up sound, making birds sound farther than they really are
    - falling rain will make it easier to sneak closer
    - most of your calls will not work so make sure you have at least one all-weather call such as a mouth call or glass friction...
    - it will be really really hard to hear them walking
    - if it thunders, you can have a really exciting hunt. Sometimes they gobble with the thunder and you can put the wack on 'em

3. X Bow T

X Bow T Original Cafe'Member

Nov 21, 2002
    N & S of the MO
    :fart: Yea What mrclean said,

I'd find a secluded field edge and they'll be standing there gripin' about the rain too. Too bad I don't have one of those spots, 'cept public land.

Looks like we're in for a soaker, but I gotta go hit the low probability creek bottom anyway.

Thunder gobbling is the best!:peepwall:

Good Luck to all that try:wave: And if you already scored:cheers:

"Gobbler or Bust"

4. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    well I dug out the rain gear, so I'll be gettin wet tomorow.

5. droptine

droptine New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Jeff City
    I'm gonna give it a go. What's a little water?

6. Mark Twain

Mark Twain New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    St. Charles
    The only thing that keeps me in the truck is lightening and uprooting trees. The only birds I've seen that like water more than turkeys are ducks. They'll be right out in the open in all but the hardest downpours. They may not gobble during a steady rain but if you go where they usually hang out, you should have some luck. The best gobbling I've ever heard, however, was to a thunderstorm, so you may be able to take advantage of that. Use the wet woods to your advantage and sneak in as close as you can.

I'm stuck at home this weekend but will be out the next. Get em!

7. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    will i would have went except that i already got week one bird no hunting till monday for me.

i don't mind hunting in the rain at all especally for turkeys

8. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    Hey, hens have got to lay and gobblers have got to do the wild thing...not much gobbling on these rainy days except during a thunderstorm...get out there and stay close to open fields
    good luck everyone!!!

9. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    I went this mornin and all I got was wet and muddy...but the clothes are dry now and its off again.;)

10. Same here, Went this morning and didn't hear a single gobble or yelp. I did see several hens come out into the field I set up in and even a big ol long beard with 2 jakes. Made a few soft calls just to get there attention, but they paid no mind to my dekes. Maybe they weren't in the mood for love this morning?