Hunting as a sport is dying

Discussion in 'Hunting News' started by watermen, Sep 13, 2017.

1. watermen

watermen Member

Dec 22, 2011
    https://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/subpages/nationalsurvey/nat_survey2016.pdf

Here is a link to the USFWS survey done every five years. I'm sure as most on this site are aware hunting as a sport, is falling off the cliff in participation in most of the country. The reasons behind a lot of recent regulations and seasons has to do with increased participation. Read the study with the knowledge we as hunters pay for over 90% of the money spent on conservation in this country. These statistics, while not new to me, are sobering. Look at the number of use days for non hunters.

2. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    I don't agree with this in MO. Leases wouldn't be so outrageous if there wasn't a large demand. I thinking hunting is more popular than ever. I could see hunting other than deer, turkey and waterfowl deceasing but these are all increasing.

Barnold1, Lazarus, beanpile and 2 others like this.

3. bluecan

bluecan Long time listener, first time caller

In my mind, it is a matter of accessibility, a place to hunt. Private land opportunities are constantly shrinking. Its becoming a case of the haves, vs the have-nots. The costs of land are ever increasing and the ones that buy it are not as willing to let others use it. the costs of leases getting high is another indicator of this same concept. This has pushed a higher percentage of hunters to public ground which are crowded. This causes two things, some quit hunting because it is more hassle than it is worth to them, others never get a chance because the people who would have helped them get started fit into the first category.

I also think that today's society of instant gratification and constant excitement is conditioning people to not be patient enough to take up hunting and stick with it when they are not immediately successful.

DCoates, Meller, BC-Buck and 5 others like this.
  4. HomebrewDad

HomebrewDad Active Member

Mar 20, 2014
    Most kids I see today are more interested in playing video games and scrolling through their phones. It's few and far between that I think you would find one who would think hiking a mile into the woods to climb a tree would be worth anything when they could sit on the couch and play Modern Warfare and drink soda.

5. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    The anti's have been pushing for lower participation for a long time. They're trying to brainwash the youth so the amount of people voting to keep seasons and traditions alive will progressively be less and less.

Sooner or later, with all the wussification of America they will succeed. Teach your kids the outdoors!!! Let the traditions continue.

Clucker likes this.
  6. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    Both my 5 yr old daughter and 2 yr old son are always talking about hunting. I've never kept them away from it. Getting guns and gear packed, the animal itself, and the butchering process. If they are interested in watching me and learning, them I am teaching them every step of the way.

jewilliams and NoLuck like this.
  7. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    I tried to get my daughters into hunting and fishing, but it hasn't really taken hold with them. They will go with me some but they don't want to shoot, just want to watch me. They will fish some but don't have a fire in their belly about it like when I was young. I enjoy having them with me but I wish they would partake a little more. Maybe I'm not doing it right.....

WBF likes this.
  8. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    Both my kids love fishing (if the fish are biting). We spent the Labor day weekend at LOZ and caught probably 50 sunfish off the docks. They were loving every minute of it.

venatic likes this.
  9. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    My kiddo is going on 16, between school, HS baseball, club baseball and a football season that starts with mandatory workouts in March and goes through October... he literally has one day off a week. He will hunt a day or two a year, and I'll take it and won't push for anymore, all that will do is push him away from it.

BustinBucks likes this.
  10. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

I think your trying to make it into a class warfare issue..Haves vs the have nots. meh.. if anything its more a liability issue in today's sue happy society.
    The "Have"s are giving opportunities to those they feel comfortable having on their property. If they are bogarting it being greedy I sure dont see it, most people I know who own land have been very generous allowing others to enjoy the property..maybe not total strangers but these days who does?. The only people I have seen lose their ability to hunt on places have done it because of themselves and if that means they gave up because of the challenge to find another place well dont see that as a bad thing. they probably were not a credit to the sport in the first place I'm speaking in generalities here so if I ruffled some undies and you know of a "good guy" or you have been wronged yourself I understand there isi some collateral damage and I am sorry.

Lease prices going up is just a symptom of the increased popularity and if that muscles out some ..thats not the sports fault..my heart goes out the good guys who have had their opportunity pulled out from underneath them I really do its a sucky deal but in many of the cases I have to think things other than just $$'s and cents were in the equation..not all just many.

your last paragraph may have the most legitimate point... Instant gratification. I recently spoke to a youngster about hunting and he replied he'd only be interested if he could shoot a big Buck but was not interested in the time or effort to do so.. thats a parenting issue. the parent(s) dont hunt but he was raised around it.

I think the term "dying" gives a false narrative.. getting smaller? yes probably but those who do go through the efforts to hunt/own land and mentor are a stronger more dedicated unit and therefore make the sport stronger.

JMO of course and not going to debate it.

Sully and Lazarus like this.
  11. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    And just think, there are people on this very site trying to outlaw certain types of hunting....

BustinBucks likes this.
  12. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    Beanpille, you wrote "Lease prices going up is just a symptom of the increased popularity and if that muscles out some" ..: that is part of the Haves, the Have nots, do not have the money the haves do to keep or pay that much money for a lease.

I know of a couple who just got a call last week from the land owner, telling them that a grp offered $$$$ for the rights to hunt the land and if you cannot match it to pull their stands at the end of the season. This couple cannot afford that much $$$$ as they are not part of the haves.. my hunint buddy has lost 3 places he has hunted for years to some TV hunters and another grp, he is putting 3 kids thru school and cannot afford what they are asking, he is not a HAVE either. He is now hunting on the land I have hunted for years. That is another story

Landowner cannot be sued if he/her lets someone hunt on the land for free.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  13. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Landowner can be sued by a tress passer. Letting someone on your land to hunt with a legal release of liability is the only way you can't get sued.

beanpile likes this.
  14. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

i guess you didn't grasp the Collateral damage part .. yes thats a bummer that the couple experienced. He chose to put the 3 kids through school thats an honorable & right thing to do, he made a priority choice the right priority choice IMO. I dont see a constitutional or a god given right to hunt. He is a "Have" because he has the ability to choose where he spent his $$.

yes you can be sued as No Luck has pointed out.

Your a good man to let your buddy hunt and if the other person knew of some similar good people with space he maybe able to hunt again as well. I have gone years without hunting..it happens and that was a priority decision I made as well.

15. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    So the MDC changed the law with in the last 5 years?

Prior to that it was if you had written permission to access land, the landowner was not responsible for any injury or accidents just as long as no money changed hands.

I had permission just like that. sent a link of the regs to landowner who called his people and they confirmed.

I think the reason the couple lost the hunting spot was cause he shot a 170+ 10pt and his wife was after the bigger one. They showed the pictures around and talked to much. They are already looking for a new place as neighbors are camped out along the fence

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  16. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I'm pretty sure Missouri law protects landowners from liability if they are allowing someone to use their land for recreational purposes . Only if they don't charge them to use it.

Meller likes this.
  17. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    I don't consider my self a have but I make a choice to buy property to hunt. I give up a lot of things to afford my property. I will not lease I think it's a waste money I would rather own 40 acres than lease 300

18. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

I will follow my legal advice. My Father is a retired Federal Judge/ His wife currently works for the US Attorneys office in KC & my Brother who is a practicing attorney in a prestigious law firm in KC.

short of the long. If someone trips on your sidewalk.. they can sue you. A child get hurt in your back yard playing.. the parents can sue you. If a guy hunting on your property injures himself he can sue you. Now you guys can do or believe what you want but I know who's advice I will follow..people who actually went to law school and who are looking out for MY benefit. There is always a loop hole that can be exploited.. thats the beauty of being a lawyer.

I'm out of this and not going to participate in a thread swerve.

Hunting is not dying..thats my opinion

19. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    This is correct. Someone can try to sue you but they will lose.

20. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    I can sue you for this post if I want... that doesnt mean Ill have a chance in heck of winning. Ive got a list as long as yours of people that graduated law school and are practicing lawyers, a couple at prestigious firms in KC (Polsinelli) that say you cant be found liable if you dont charge money to hunt.

Landowners' Liability For Hunters And Trespassers - AgEBB
    http://agebb.missouri.edu/aglaw/aglaw2.htm