hunting and feed

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by MTRaised, Mar 1, 2006.

1. MTRaised

MTRaised New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Grain Valley
    I am going to start putting out feed for the deer and turkey this weekend. I know law states that feed must be cleaned up 10 days prior to hunting.

However can't you hunt so many feet away from feed and be ok. Not real practical to go out and try and get all the corn off the ground with a shovel.

Anybody know?

2. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I'd almost bet that if you quit feeding them a couple of weeks before the season, it would all be eaten up....but to answer your question...I'm no help...lol

3. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    I honestly would not hunt that area if ALL of the feed is not gone. But you can check the MDC web site and find out what is acceptable for sure.

4. MTRaised

MTRaised New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Grain Valley
    I've looked and can't seem to find it.

5. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    If I remember correctly from a previous thread, the MDC does not have a distance written down anywhere so it is up to the discretion of the agent ticketing you. That leaves it pretty vague. I think if they can be specific enough to put a number on the days before season it must be cleaned up (10) then they should be able to be specific about how far away you could hunt from it if it wasnt all cleaned up or still heavily baited.

6. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    Methods of pursuit
    Deer and turkeys may not be taken with the use of dogs, bait, recorded calls or live decoys. Scents and minerals, including salt, are not considered bait. An area is considered baited for 10 days even after complete removal of the bait. It is illegal to place bait in a way that causes others to be in violation of the baiting rule.

This is all I could find, I would call a MDC office to be sure. it seems kind of vague to me but I have heard of alot of people being fined for hunting over bait. Good Luck...

7. Transplanted Hoosier

Transplanted Hoosier New Member

Oct 16, 2002
    HOME AT LAST!!
    Had an agent 'splain it to me this way...

"No matter the distance if the animal’s movement was 'influenced' by the bait you are mine"

And all traces of the bait have to be removed, down to a single kernel of corn:eek:

8. semohuntingguy

semohuntingguy New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    southeast mo.
    thats what i have been explained if the feed is altering the movements of game no matter how far the distance it is considered baited even if you dont know about the bait it is your responiblity to know what is around you

9. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    The conservation agents in Adair Co will provide you with a shovel, rake and broom after they write you up and confiscate your firearms if they find you near bait piles during deer season. Seven fellows from Chicago found this out the hard way three years ago in Western Adair Co. They were not allowed to leave until the piles were completely cleaned up. This happened about a mile from my farm.

10. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

That the gray area I spoke of earlier. If the game is in route to feed, and you harvest. its illegal. Even if it is 1/2 mile. Its up to the law man.

11. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    I still think it is a crock that they can determine that after 10 days the deer movement wont be influenced at all by a previous bait pile but yet they cant come up with a solid distance number. I'll bet there are deer that on day 11 or 12, will still be influenced by the previous bait pile, and yet the MDC is able to set a time limit on it so it should be the same with the distance. Set a distance limit and quit being vague.

12. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    How many would be in favor of Baiting if the MDC would ever allow it?

I remember a time when if you put out Salt you was the same as a Poacher.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin don't care long as he gets fed.

13. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Ditto... And i only say this, not so i can set X yards from a corn pile, but what the heck happens when your neighbor feeds deer, you didnt realize it until your hunting there and get fined because you were in the baited "area" the "area" term used, is way to loose, i agree bowhunter.. if they can say 10 days then they NEED to say x feet, yards, miles.. something.. GIVE US A NUMBER!

14. MTRaised

MTRaised New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Grain Valley
    That's my whole point. My main goal is to feed the deer to keep them around my property. I am using corn so the turkeys will eat it to. The field I hunt for turkeys is about 100 yards from my corn feeder (which is in the woods). Am I going to get ticketed for having corn 100 yrds behind me?

It needs to be black and white

15. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    MTR the way it stands now.... yes you "could" all depends upon the agent at that time, what kind of mood he's in, did he eat his wheaties that day etc..