Hunter Safety Certification

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by golfnut1969, Nov 11, 2010.

1. golfnut1969

golfnut1969 You're not a golfer.

Does anyone know of any exemption from taking the hunter certification course for ex-military personell? My brother just got out of the Army after serving 4 years, including two 18 month tours in Iraq. He was stationed in Washington state and got his CCW without having to take any classes due to his service (paid a $60 fee and that's it). I thought there would be a similar exemption for the Missouri Hunter Safety certification but I can't find anything.

2. golfnut1969

[rquote=1891464&tid=131753&author=judah]The only exception to taking the hunter safety course is if you were born on or after jan 1, 1967.
    [/rquote]

Only exception is if you born ON OR BEFORE Dec 31st, 1966.

I did see the regs, just thought it might be some hidden addendum that doesn't show up in the small books you get over the counter.

3. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    Only exception for taking the hunter safety course is if you were born before Jan 1, 1967.
    Must be at least 11 years old to take the course.

There are exemptions for veterans with disabilities or if they were POW's. You can find this on page 3 of the hunting and trapping regulation booklet. You can get one anywhere you buy tags.

I am not an expert on the rules, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night. :wave:

4. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    [rquote=1891472&tid=131753&author=golfnut1969][rquote=1891464&tid=131753&author=judah]The only exception to taking the hunter safety course is if you were born on or after jan 1, 1967.
    [/rquote]

Only exception is if you born ON OR BEFORE Dec 31st, 1966.

I did see the regs, just thought it might be some hidden addendum that doesn't show up in the small books you get over the counter.[/rquote]

Yeah, what you said. I was backwards a bit. :cheers:

5. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    too many blows to the head, right coach.:D

6. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    [rquote=1891714&tid=131753&author=Satch]too many blows to the head, right coach.:D[/rquote]

As a player yes, more recently to the tenders as a coach.

7. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    He can hunt on an Apprentice tag as long as a certified hunter is with him. He can only do that for two years, then he will need to take the class if he wants to hunt. There is a program where you can do the bookwork on line and then attend a four hour "Field Day". Might be better than in a classroom with a bunch of 11-12 year olds for ten hours.

You would think military training would be adequate. Many things are taught besides firearms safety. History, conservation, biology, ethics, archery safety, black powder safety, water safety, tree stand safety, first aid and more. The program is achieving the desired results, fewer accidents and fewer fatalities.

Encourage your friend to get certified.

8. golfnut1969

I'm all for the program. In fact I think they should require everyone to take it, not just us young guys born after 1967 :cheers:

It's not my friend, but my brother. I have 2 brothers and a nephew that I've been encouraging to get certified. Been doing that for 10 years. I know a lot of guys who don't hunt because they don't want to take the time to get certified and it drives me nuts.

9. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Yep use the apperintice tag, I think they can get it for two years, then they have to get certified